Brexit Endgame

you wouldn’t know watching the UK MSM

daz

LE
Of course, one highly succesful japanese car firm. been here years, weathers recession and austerity then pulls the pin. That's a coincidence.

When two do it, thats a hell of a coincidence.
hondas market share in Europe has halved in the last 10 years.
their sales into Europe are equivalent to a single car transporter ship load Per month.
What he said, also not helped by ICE's being banned in a few years

So, just let me recap.

The EU is demanding British fish.

The EU is now unable to agree on who is going to pay to make up for the lost UK funds.

The EU is now unable to agree on where those funds will go, if there are any.

Comedy gold. Its like spitting image and Yes minister all rolled into one laugh s minute show.

So, just let me recap.

The EU is now unable to agree on who is going to pay to make up for the lost UK funds.

Comedy gold. Its like spitting image and Yes minister all rolled into one laugh s minute show.
Could almost describe the situation as a Pantomime?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
oh dear how sad:

Surely not? This can't be the £8.6 billion a year we paid to the EU and that the Remain camp kept arguing during the referendum campaign was absolutely dwarfed by social security spending and was an utterly trivial cost far outweighed by the economic benefits of belonging to the EU.

Can't see what all the fuss is about - if belonging to the EU is so great, the member states should be happy to stump up the extra cash to cover the gap left by the UK's departure.

Wordsmith :smile:

So, just let me recap.

Unfortunately, its costing us a fortune and the guphers are prolonging our agony.

Surely not? This can't be the £8.6 billion a year we paid to the EU and that the Remain camp kept arguing during the referendum campaign was absolutely dwarfed by social security spending and was an utterly trivial cost far outweighed by the economic benefits of belonging to the EU.

Can't see what all the fuss is about - if belonging to the EU is so great, the member states should be happy to stump up the extra cash to cover the gap left by the UK's departure.

I was just thinking about the massive savings the EU will be making now that we've left.
All those roads and infrastructure bits in the UK they don't have to keep stumping up for must mean their outgoings have fallen.

One fact that I struggle with, and it seems everyone else does too, is the changing nature of the world.

The auto industry began in the 1920s. By the 1970s it was booming. Different countries had different approaches. In the UK we allowed communist unions to take over. In Japan it was the pinnacle of the economic miracle. No union was going to interfere with the industry.

By the 80s the UK was consolidating, and desperately trying new models.

By the 90s small cars were all the rage.

a decade later it was all SUVs.

It is now 2020, and the car industry boom has ended. I haven't bought a car for 20 years. Ford have stopped manufacturing in Australia, as have Mitsubishi and Toyota, and Holden have ceased to exist.

The industry has changed. It will continue to shrink and factories will close.

Global passenger car sales fell to 80.6 million in 2018 from 81.8 million new units sold in 2017, which was the first annual decline since 2009, Fitch said. Worldwide sales in 2019 look likely to fall by another 4% to around 77.5 million new vehicle sales.
B7A61EE4-59F2-4A0C-B339-16A84045587F.png

Falling demand in China, the world’s largest auto market, is a major factor in the worldwide decline this year. Sales there fell 11% during the first 10 months of this year compared with the same time last year.

The glorious days are over. And it has bugger all to do with brexit.

I was just thinking about the massive savings the EU will be making now that we've left.
All those roads and infrastructure bits in the UK they don't have to keep stumping up for must mean their outgoings have fallen.
Not to mention the money they will save on the blue and yellow starred sphincter flags to adorn the infrastructure they paid for.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
oh dear how sad:

The sums being asked for are small compared to the overall GDP of each county. The EU is only asking that member states pay an extra 0.1% of their GDP into the EU's funds. Which basically is affordable and would realistically only significantly affect half-a dozen countries as most get far more out of the EU budget than they pay in. This is more a turf war over the direction of the EU after we leave at the end of the year. And it's significant that the ones shouting for the biggest increase in funding are the states that get the most out in the EU in terms of funding. In other words, they want more EU, because they can suck more out of the EU tit.

And, of course we have Verhofstadt shouting the EU needs more powers to raise taxes on its own account.

It’s time to revolutionize the EU budget. Instead of national contributions, we need own resources (e.g. a tax on big internet platforms or big polluters). It’s the only way to defend our interests in a world dominated by “empires” like the US & China.
You can just see the way that'll go - an extra tax here, an extra tax there every year as the EU stealthily raises the amount of tax it can bring in.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
If you think this spat of the 2021 - 2028 EU budget is bad, just wait until the EU puts forward proposals for more matters to be decided by QMV, thus further removing the ability of any one state to hold up moves towards a USE.

I have a sneak preview of the negotiations.

1582323794979.png

Wordsmith

Exactly. Halfwits argued that the UK received more funding than it put in.

Welcome to the acid test. We are stopping putting money in - leading to chaos in the EU.

And that EU branded money will stop flowing into the UK. Except of course it never left. The EU took UK money, attached an EU sticker and told us to be grateful.

What suprises me is the number of remainers who cannot (or could not) understand this.

I suppose its an indication of poor education standards in the UK since it joined the EU.

One of the interesting facts that came out of the news today is that 30% of the budget could potentially prop up 1% of the economy.

Agriculture.

That's bonkers.

The French....

Don’t worry chaps I will be with you all the way through this, every single shitty turn.

Things might be going great for you in the South East but unfortunately it’s not the same country over. And before you all say you couldn’t give a shitte... don’t bother I already know.

bunch of Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind. I just hope they are all happy at this tragic news.

It's tragic that Merthyr's losing 180 jobs.

But fear not chum, as the tables will still be filled as the natives of Merthyr revert to cannibalism.

The sums being asked for are small compared to the overall GDP of each county. The EU is only asking that member states pay an extra 0.1% of their GDP into the EU's funds. Which basically is affordable and would realistically only significantly affect half-a dozen countries as most get far more out of the EU budget than they pay in. This is more a turf war over the direction of the EU after we leave at the end of the year. And it's significant that the ones shouting for the biggest increase in funding are the states that get the most out in the EU in terms of funding. In other words, they want more EU, because they can suck more out of the EU tit.

And, of course we have Verhofstadt shouting the EU needs more powers to raise taxes on its own account.

You can just see the way that'll go - an extra tax here, an extra tax there every year as the EU stealthily raises the amount of tax it can bring in.

Wordsmith
"A little piece of Poland, a little piece of France, A little piece of Portugal und Austria perchance "

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the interesting facts that came out of the news today is that 30% of the budget could potentially prop up 1% of the economy.

Agriculture.

That's bonkers.

The French....
The figures are surprising.

1582324299811.png

I always knew France did well out of the CAP - it takes the lions share of it. But I was surprised to see how well some of the other relatively rich EU states did out of it - the percentage of the CAP going to Germany, Italy and Spain was an eye opener.

Indeed, France, Germany, Italy and Spain take over just over 50% of the CAP payments between them. Add in Poland (~9%) and there's only crumbs from the table left for the remaining 22 member states.

Wordsmith