Brexit Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously missed the government minister earlier. Not to mention Tesla is putting out a car running on peat for the Irish market.

Not to mention this.
This is real Journalism. BBC1’s @andyverity calls out what Jacob Rees- Mogg described yesterday as the “Boris Bounce”

“That’s not a positive economic record. Thats in fact the worst record for improvements in living standards this country has gone through in the last 200 years”
Stop
Take a deep breath
Provide links.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Stop
Take a deep breath
Provide links.
Links to even more stupidity?
Its not difficult. It'd be rude to mention the DUP and their ditching of a really quite good and acceptable compromise under May. And find themselves with the current trainwreck.

The last post was Priti Patel on how the economic inactive were going to fill in the employment gaps. Yet she doesn't have too much of a clue about why people are economically inactive. And why it wouldn't really be cost effective or in the least bit sensible to get them into the workforce.

Its been pointed out on here that automation is going to sort out 'oiks' and their jobs.

And yet, its going to bear fruition in 30 to 50 years. Very few brexiters are going to be around to see that wonderful day.

This from John Redwood
John Redwood - An increase in care workers pay needs to be paid for out of productivity gains.... & more computers will assist them in their tasks.

#C4News

Care workers, productivity gains, maybe theres an app for dementia, or UTI's. Is there a computer programme for incontinence?

Brexit a stupid idea then.....it's not getting any better.

It would be nice after all this time for some sort of nod as to what a clever idea brexit was.

Its not difficult. It'd be rude to mention the DUP and their ditching of a really quite good and acceptable compromise under May. And find themselves with the current trainwreck.

The last post was Priti Patel on how the economic inactive were going to fill in the employment gaps. Yet she doesn't have too much of a clue about why people are economically inactive. And why it wouldn't really be cost effective or in the least bit sensible to get them into the workforce.

Its been pointed out on here that automation is going to sort out 'oiks' and their jobs.

And yet, its going to bear fruition in 30 to 50 years. Very few brexiters are going to be around to see that wonderful day.

This from John Redwood
John Redwood - An increase in care workers pay needs to be paid for out of productivity gains.... & more computers will assist them in their tasks.

#C4News

Care workers, productivity gains, maybe theres an app for dementia, or UTI's. Is there a computer programme for incontinence?

It would be nice after all this time for some sort of nod as to what a clever idea brexit was.
You get a funny because you cannot supply any links where your claims can be read. As I said, slow down - and post links. You really are your own worst enemy.

This from John Redwood

#C4News

I hate to break this to you O'Skid, but the Japanese have been grasping with this issue for years and are applying some very smart technology to the problem

Say hello to Pepper

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
You get a funny because you cannot supply any links where your claims can be read. As I said, slow down - and post links. You really are your own worst enemy.

its not rare or rocket science if i can find it.
. But its all out there. Patel has been all over the media. And Redwood turned up on Ch4 news

Show me a positive on Brexit.
Patel being the one who did a full interview on dealing with 'counter terrorism offenders' (that'd be our side) she did the entire interview explaining on how we were going to deal with these 'counter terrorism offenders'.

Thats the H.Sec who's going to make us all look fondly on those wonderful days under those gifted Home Secs Charles Clarke and Theresa May.

I'm generally in support of the Conservatives' broad approach at the moment. Push your strengths, press your adversary where he is weak, make hard decisions (With full understanding that you can't please everyone) and try to implement some of the manifesto pledges that actually attracted votes. However, the immigration policy published today seems to have one major flaw.

If you say that highly qualified foreigners can come to UK to take up high-skill jobs, but not for the high volume low-skill jobs, then you have a fundamental problem. Why would UK industry, or even individual employers, invest in training British people? Firstly, you can still buy in skill more cheaply and quickly than growing your own. Secondly, if you train up your low-skill indigenous workforce, who is going to do their jobs when they have moved up the ladder? The only conclusion is that the economic imperative will cause a shift to foreign tradesmen, managers and professionals overseeing armies of low-skill British oiks.

Doesn't sound like a vote winner to me and I don't approve.

Pritti: Re-show at my place. Exact time and attire to be negotiated.
I don't know all the details of the new UK immigration policy, but the broad outlines don't sound too different from how the one in Canada has operated for years. I'll describe how it would work assuming Britain adopts a system roughly similar to Canada's.

"Highly qualified" personnel are generally defined as being people who have skills, knowledge, and experience in fields which:
  • pay well,
  • are typically (although not always) fast growing,
  • have economic spin-off benefits,
  • operate in a global marketplace, and draw on a global workforce,
  • experiencing shortages.
That doesn't mean that the entire economy will be based on these fields. What it means is that fast growing companies targetting designated future oriented industries can be assured that if they locate in Britain they will be able to bring in whatever "highly qualified" people they want, from wherever they want, with minimal red tape.

This however is only part of a points based immigration scheme. As well as this, labour market surveys are regularly conducted to project future skills needs. These are put together with domestic education and training projections and economic grown projections to come up with where shortfalls are expected. This is then used to construct the points system on which potential immigrants are graded on.

So if a shortage of nurses is expected, potential immigrants with nursing qualifications will get awarded more points than someone whose skill is not in demand and so will end up higher in the overall priority list within the total immigration cap. This doesn't mean that the UK would stop training nurses. It would mean that if the projections for nursing graduates shows a projected shortage, then this information is integrated into the overall immigration plan.

As well as this there would be other categories, such as business immigration to invest in and operate a business.

There is not likely to be a shortage of low skilled people in the UK. Even the best of education and training schemes in the UK are not going to be so successful that every child becomes an engineer or banker. The world just doesn't tend to work that way.

The point though is that immigration should be integrated into an overall economic development plan, and not done haphazardly.

To make this more concrete, here's Canada's immigration targets for the 2018 to 2020 planning period.
I'll summarise the categories here:

Category
2020 Target
Federal High Skilled​
85800​
Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program​
4000​
Caregivers​
5000​
Federal Business​
700​
Provincial Nominee Program​
67800​
Quebec Skilled Workers and Business​
32500​
Total Economic​
195800​
Spouses, Partners, and Children​
70000​
Parents and Grandparents​
21000​
Total Family​
91000​
Protected Persons in Canada & Dependents Abroad​
17000​
Resettled Refugees - Government Assisted​
10000​
Resettled Refugees - Blended Visa Office Referred​
1700​
Resettled Refugees - Privately Sponsored​
20000​
Total Refugees and Protected Persons​
48700​
Total Humanitarian & Other​
4500​
Total​
340000​

The total target for immigration is nominally 340,000, although the target is actually a range between 310,000 to 360,000, so this isn't a hard limit, it's a planning target.

You can see that the "Federal High Skilled" category is about 25% of the total target, and economic immigrants are 57% of the total. There are multiple sub-categories in the economic category, but I won't bother to explain them all as they're not really relevant. What they do though is provide a regional element to immigration planning, instead of all the immigrants going to one place. And of course if Yukon wants more miners while Ontario wants more software developers, they will set their own points priorities accordingly.

You will notice that seasonal agricultural workers do not figure in these totals. That's because they are not immigrants. They come to Canada to do a job for a few months and then must return home and can't come back as workers until the next year.

The UK will of course not simply copy this template, but it does provide some insight into how a UK system could be made to work.

What it will keep out are minimum wage workers - and it doesn't say much for a company if your business model is employing workers om crap wages in order to make a profit.
How does that work for companies like Amazon? They seem to be very tech heavy, but still rely on slave labour?

The EU still seem to think they're dealing with a weak and vacillating May, not a prime minister who is fully prepared to walk away from the EU without a deal. BoJo will just keep on passing laws and preparing for an exit without a deal. He'll also get trade deals lined up with other countries. Then he'll tell the EU it's a deal on UK terms or it's WTO terms and bye-bye a lot of EU trade with the UK.
Indeed.

They say a picture paints a 1000 words, this one speaks volumes.

TELEMMGLPICT000223177413_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqXfJMPfENEq5oPh9E8lUElbXot50Qc_vM60sRY4jpCKQ.jpeg

The body language experts would have a field day with this pic :D :D

Barnier has just realised that he has met his '' Ohhhhh F**k '' moment.

I notice that the EU's fifth column is still working hard in UK.

Priti Patel has also been accused of 'bullying' etc. Dominic Cummings has previously been accused.

I'm guessing that the bullying went thus

PP. We're leaving the eu so need to get things in place.
CS. Would it be wiser to remain and reform from within?
PP. No, we're leaving. Let's discuss what we need to do.
CS. Surely we'd be better of inside.
PP. Right, immigration rules.
CS. We must maintain FoM at all costs.
PP. Who's side are you on?
CS. You big bully.

Priti Patel is accused of 'bullying' and creating 'atmosphere of fear' Priti Patel is accused of 'bullying' and creating 'atmosphere of fear'

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
We used to do that during the school holidays. Strawberries, potatoes --- the works. It gave us something to do and paid pocket money wages.
Me too. Taught us a bit about life as well as providing spending money.

Piece work- it's not for the modern generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads