Brexit Endgame

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
Universities are to blame for most things currently wrong with this country.Useless types like BBC execs,economists,un-civil servants,teachers,etc. get a degree from useless teachers,then spend a lifetime of being useless and moved on,until eventually they reach high position and recruit more useless people (degree required) ad infinitum.Quite what a degree in fashion and fragrance,or coracle knitting has to do with running anything eludes me.

Because in the main universities are run for money and constant applications to go to Uni cost money and it's a gravy train. They are not there to enhance your learning, they are there to fill their pockets, it's a commodity. It is only friendly to you if you are in academia and want to make your fortune there.

This is debatable. Most people I know who lecture actually enjoy it. Not to mention things like the NSS actively assess the student learning experience.

There is nothing wrong with people going to University. There are people who are academically gifted. That does not detract from my earlier comment that far too many Degrees in the UK are not worth the paper they are printed on.

There is nothing wrong with people doing apprenticeships. There are people who are better with their hands and not gifted academically.
Not only are they not worth the paper, they're not worth the debt that goes with it.

Did you sit your PhD in ashtray chucking in Greek ? I doubt it was in English.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I have never had any issue with migrant pickers.
Issue them a temp visa, work here for a few months, pay tax, just don't expect to bring your families or work for a bit and expect a council house and schools for your kids like they do at the moment.
Exactly. Just as Australia and New Zealand do with Samoans who work in agriculture and viniculture. Short term, unaccompanied Visa. Your wages paid to you net of tax, to spend or send home, and at the end of your campaign, off you go back to your loved ones. See you again in a year.

Truxx

LE
Weyheyhey hey!

I'm sure all of those would love to have a massive influx of 40 year olds, with massive commitments already in place who have been ordered to them by the Job centre.
Also Ambulance crew takes a hell of a lot of training.
My 36 year old daughter retrained from receptionist to welder.

My 36 year old daughter retrained from receptionist to welder.
I know a ballet dancer who became a lawyer.

And a musician who retrained as a helicopter engineer.

And a air hostess who retrained as a gas fitter.

All were in their 30s.

The number of ex forces who have changed step at 40+ is quite significant too.

Truxx

LE
I know a ballet dancer who became a lawyer.

And a musician who retrained as a helicopter engineer.

And a air hostess who retrained as a gas fitter.

All were in their 30s.

The number of ex forces who have changed step at 40+ is quite significant too.
I seem to recall lots of discussion about the modern approach to careers - known at the time as the "3 ages of man " - an early employment up to mid 30s, a second bite up to late 50s then a later life job for the ret of the time.

I recall also that the forces were deliberately targeting the first two.

This is debatable. Most people I know who lecture actually enjoy it. Not to mention things like the NSS actively assess the student learning experience.
Debateable, it's not; it's fact! I'm sure lecturers enjoy their job as much as I enjoyed the bits of mine, oh for their salaries. My academic record is crap, I left school with no quals, I still speak and read in two languages and passably in a third. Yes believe it or not I even gave talks in my subject and I spent twenty years researching a book I wanted to write, wrote it and had it published, The fact that it wasn't a money spinner is neither here nor there, I enjoyed the experience. Access to student learning- you have a desire to know- pick up a friggin book and read. And people are paid for this.

Latest Threads