Brexit Endgame

I'd disagree about the low- skilled living life on benefits. I suspect they're more likely to be " encouraged" to upskill. Unemployed? Benefits for 3 months. Still no job? Compulsory retraining.
Sounds great! What are you going to retrain them as? How much time and money will it cost? Current level of retraining offered by the job centre is akin to Basic Computer Skills. To make a significant difference you need serious education. I've vented on here about the Degree situation (IE: The rules changed, Degrees are now considered basic education). There are ways of doing that, and I'm taking them. But that's still six years, with me working full time.

So lets take a low skilled worker who left school at 16 back in the 1990's with a clutch of GCSE's.

First he needs a refresher course in whatever subject.
Then he'll need the A-levels.
Then the Degree.

Even at full time study that's four years of work. Eight part time. Apprenticeships won't pay sufficient for a middle-aged person to live and support the family. Finally there's the will to do it. Some will leap in as they can see the good of it, and just need help I found myself in a similar place, but am able to build on past work and investments in myself. Others, not so much.

Sounds great! What are you going to retrain them as? How much time and money will it cost? Current level of retraining offered by the job centre is akin to Basic Computer Skills. To make a significant difference you need serious education. I've vented on here about the Degree situation (IE: The rules changed, Degrees are now considered basic education). There are ways of doing that, and I'm taking them. But that's still six years, with me working full time.

So lets take a low skilled worker who left school at 16 back in the 1990's with a clutch of GCSE's.

First he needs a refresher course in whatever subject.
Then he'll need the A-levels.
Then the Degree.

Even at full time study that's four years of work. Eight part time. Apprenticeships won't pay sufficient for a middle-aged person to live and support the family. Finally there's the will to do it. Some will leap in as they can see the good of it, and just need help I found myself in a similar place, but am able to build on past work and investments in myself. Others, not so much.
It will take time and money but saves in the long run.

Start a qualification cap where you can't get benefits unless you are qualified to X level in Y subjects.

There is actually clauses in benefits that penalise those who intentionally make themselves unemployable. Not screwing the nut at school should be a reason too.

Then put folk on learning packages. Either in 'schools' or online. People should be getting up/re-skilled. Not rotting waiting for a job that is no longer relevant.

The level playing field will be the defining fight of UK-EU trade negotiations... In fact the whole process is doomed for a downhill slide.
Pikeys can do a downhill level playing field if you pay them enough...

It will take time and money but saves in the long run.

Start a qualification cap where you can't get benefits unless you are qualified to X level in Y subjects.

There is actually clauses in benefits that penalise those who intentionally make themselves unemployable. Not screwing the nut at school should be a reason too.

Then put folk on learning packages. Either in 'schools' or online. People should be getting up/re-skilled. Not rotting waiting for a job that is no longer relevant.
I’d agree to a point, but you also need to factor in that not all talent is academic & beyond teaching reading, writing & arithmetic there needs to be more of a focus on vocational training & it not being seen as some lesser form of achievement. The trick is identifying early on & directing accordingly.

The new Immigration points system is the cherry on the Brexit cake.

It’s real, it’s happening.

The level playing field will be the defining fight of UK-EU trade negotiations... In fact the whole process is doomed for a downhill slide.
Bojo and our chief negotiator have already said that we do not expect the EU to be required to meet our higher standards in many areas:

Sovereignty is about the ability to get your own rules right in a way that suits our own conditions. Much of the debate about whether Britain will diverge from the EU I think misses this point. We are clear – and the PM was clear in the speech he gave at Greenwich in London that we are not going to be a low-standard economy. That’s clear. But it is perfectly possible to have high standards, and indeed similar or better standards to those prevailing in the EU, without our laws and regulations necessarily doing exactly the same thing. One obvious example, I think, is the ability to support our own agriculture to promote environmental goods relevant to our own countryside, and to produce crops that reflect our own climate, rather than being forced to work with rules designed for growing conditions in central France.

I struggle to see why this is so controversial. The proposition that we will not wish to diverge, that we would wish not to change our rules, is the same thing as the rules governing us, on 31 December this year, are the most perfect rules that can be designed and need never be changed. That is self-evidently absurd. I think we should dismiss the ‘divergence’ phantasm from sensible political debate.

Truxx

LE
I’d agree to a point, but you also need to factor in that not all talent is academic & beyond teaching reading, writing & arithmetic there needs to be more of a focus on vocational training it not being seen as some lesser form of achievement. The trick is identifying early on & directing accordingly.
Indeed.

Short of brickies?

Option 1. Import some.

Option. 2. Train some.

I except all that, but at some point there will be change at the top. If we get a self serving PM like Blair or a weak PM like Major, they will have their heads turned by the EU.
I agree, to an extent.... Unlike some, my personal view of Boris is that like all PMs, he will eventually be captured by the system and be guided towards less controversial thoughts, decisions and towards more sensible policies (ideas that coalesce around resident fence sitter BL).

The EU strength has being the fact that even the smallest member state feels mighty and that is intentional, as its a mechanism for the without any power bureaucracy to control, by divide and rule.. Nothing like the EU has ever really existed and the only near comparison, is the ancient delian league.. In that historical lesson, eventually the most powerful decided that the only move was forward and decided that it didn't have to listen anymore to the smaller states and that will be the final break and as such the EU we will not be able to rejoin it, except as a leader.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It may just have escaped your attention, but BoJo has already ruled that out. Given his 80 seat majority, he can get what he likes through parliament.

(And the Remaineratti in parliament will be only too aware of how seats were lost (and seats on the gravy train) due to the electorate not liking their attempts to derail Brexit.

I have to say this post is less moon howling than usual. Coming round to the idea of Brexit?

Wordsmith

In retrospect

Organising anything in the middle of a firefight is dangerous, stupid, reckless and foolhardy.

Skills and drills that you should have been taught at Sandhurst.
Just the sort of 'look at me, bbc cameraman', hard man routine. I saw a lot of back in the day... Still shake my head at the floppy berets of basra and my general comment to civvies were, "lets see how long that lasts, with iran on the doorstep".

Dialectics - your facts are opinion and speculation, so your convincing nobody.
Rhetoric - your on full power remainer mong jammer and achieviing nothing.

Might I suggest, you go away read aristotle and come back with more persusasive arguments?

Just the sort of 'look at me, bbc cameraman', hard man routine. I saw a lot of back in the day... Still shake my head at the floppy berets of basra and my general comment to civvies were, "lets see how long that lasts, with iran on the doorstep".
Nail on head. It is almost an illness some seem to have. The need for attention in whatever form wherever they interact & at any any level, they have to be the story.

Blame CoronaVirus or Brexit?

The biggest maker of cars in Britain has warned that it could run out of key components from China within a fortnight because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Jaguar Land Rover has been flying parts out of China inside suitcases in an attempt to avoid the disruption triggered by the Covid-19 health crisis.

(paywall)

Latest Threads