Brexit Endgame

Didn’t Spain offer something similar, on the understanding that GB reciprocated for Eu people here. So far the Spanish have had no response.
Maybe gov wants to keep Spain on it's toes till the overall deal is done? Threatening their tourist industry is a great way to do it.

Now this made me laugh.
Andrew Sabisky always dreamed that one day he would work at 10 Downing St. And that day was Monday.
Did he forecast his resignation? Not so super is he?

BoJo may well still be PM after the December 2024 GE. And for a number of reasons.
  1. He has a big majority - it's not easy to overturn an 80 seat majority in one go.
  2. He is a conviction PM. Things will not drift aimlessly under him - there is a clear direction he wants to take the country in.
  3. BoJo's agenda seems to be a very populist one - do things which resonate with much of the electorate - he'll remain politically popular for a long time.
  4. The UK in December 2024 will be a very different one to the current one. For example, I expect the civil service, judiciary, NHS, police and BBC to have been reformed in broadly popular ways.
  5. People ultimately vote for the party that delivers them economic well-being. I suspect BoJo will chop EU tax, regulation and import duties to leave the UK in a better place than it is now
  6. Labour (I suspect) will remain a hard left, unelectable shambles.
  7. There's not a lot the EU can do. After the broadside BoJo's Sherpa gave the EU a day or two ago, there's little chance we'll be tied into an agreement where the EU has any real power over us.
  8. The chance of a recession not happening in the next five years seems pretty small - and if it does the euro, and thence the EU, is fornicated
  9. People will see us reclaiming power from the EU - you can bet your bottom dollar BoJo will keep trumpeting that the UK could only do X, Y and Z because we're no longer in the EU. Handing power back will be electorally very unpopular.
  10. BoJo is BoJo - he's got a big personality that seems broadly popular with the country at large. Other political leaders look lightweights beside him.
Plenty of reasons for optimism.

Wordsmith
I except all that, but at some point there will be change at the top. If we get a self serving PM like Blair or a weak PM like Major, they will have their heads turned by the EU.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Finally, we've got a Prime Minister who actually gives a fvck about the working class:

View attachment 450903

Watch how the minimum wage will cease to become the maximum wage for many, and how UK productivity increases as business is forced to spend on capital expenditure.

This is seriously good news for the oiks.

Well done, BoJo.
It'll drive the UK in the right direction - more and more industries are going to become automated in the future. These include:
  • Manufacturing - more robotic production
  • Transport - automated vehicles
  • Retail - particularly supermarkets - automated shelf stacking and payments by mobile phone
  • NHS - more cleaning and portering jobs done by robots
  • Etc
But it's not good long term news for the oiks - as the low skilled jobs go from the economy over the next half-century, many will spend the bulk of their lives on benefits. And the need to pay out ever greater amounts in pensions and benefits will mean that as firms reduce their labour costs, they'll find they're increasingly taxed to pay the ever larger social security bill.

Early adopters of this new form of economy will find it relatively easy to adapt to it. Countries that rely on low cost labour are going to find they're fornicated in 30 - 50 years time; they won't be able to generate the wealth to pay for the switch to automation.

So, great move by BoJo - he appears to be developing the vision to take the country in the right direction.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I except all that, but at some point there will be change at the top. If we get a self serving PM like Blair or a weak PM like Major, they will have their heads turned by the EU.
BoJo will see himself as a 2 or 3 term prime minister. And at the moment looks good odds for a second term at least.

He'll eventually go - all PM's eventually outstay their welcome. But think back to Maggie - the last conviction politician we had in charge. Her legacy lives on with the unions tamed and the British economy still in a better place than she found it. Hopefully BoJo's legacy will also outlive him.

Wordsmith

It'll drive the UK in the right direction - more and more industries are going to become automated in the future. These include:
  • Retail - particularly supermarkets - automated shelf stacking and payments by mobile phone
  • Etc
But it's not good long term news for the oiks - as the low skilled jobs go from the economy over the next half-century, many will spend the bulk of their lives on benefits. And the need to pay out ever greater amounts in pensions and benefits will mean that as firms reduce their labour costs, they'll find they're increasingly taxed to pay the ever larger social security bill.

Early adopters of this new form of economy will find it relatively easy to adapt to it. Countries that rely on low cost labour are going to find they're fornicated in 30 - 50 years time; they won't be able to generate the wealth to pay for the switch to automation.

So, great move by BoJo - he appears to be developing the vision to take the country in the right direction.

Wordsmith
I'd disagree about the low- skilled living life on benefits. I suspect they're more likely to be " encouraged" to upskill. Unemployed? Benefits for 3 months. Still no job? Compulsory retraining.

The alternative, having swathes of people idle, is unaffordable.
I'm hoping someone is planning, right now, on how to deal with the unemployable as automation increasingly makes them a burden.
Rather than any " final" solution type scenario, I suspect a bit more " backsquadding" might appear: still illiterate/innumerate at 16? Repeat compulsory education until satisfactory.

The populace need to be reminded, at an early age ( secondary school, for example), that going to school or uni carries an obligation to actually learn, not merely attend.
Perhaps the reduction in migration of low skilled workers is aimed, long term, at also reducing the number of low/no skills " family members" of migrants too. If so, good planning.

No more Beeg Eeshu sellers and Bulgarian car washers

BoJo will see himself as a 2 or 3 term prime minister. And at the moment looks good odds for a second term at least.

He'll eventually go - all PM's eventually outstay their welcome. But think back to Maggie - the last conviction politician we had in charge. Her legacy lives on with the unions tamed and the British economy still in a better place than she found it. Hopefully BoJo's legacy will also outlive him.

Wordsmith
I do think to Maggie, then the 5 pieces of self serving, weak willed shít that were next.

• Etc

Wordsmith
It's not just the oiks; white collar workers are under threat with the growth of AI. Clever algorithms can replace lots of technical jobs; even GPs (at some stage in the not so far dystopian future). It might cost billions to create a GP algorithm, but once you've done it, it's easily replicated, saving billions on training doctors over the long term. They'd be much better too; a linked system that can spot outbreaks of diseases instantly... But that's for another thread.

I suspect there'll always be a demand for low-skilled workers. People will still want to be served their coffee and pret.

You've got to be joking - It would be like shagging one of those zombies from the Walking Dead - call me Mr Unadventurous - but i'm pretty happy I wasn't groomed by a pedo woman when I was a nipper.
There's one thing shagging it - getting a few tips from an older women to practice when you are shagging the younger chicks.

Its another thing entirely when you marry her.

In retrospect, organising a burial for seven in the middle of a fire-fight with a padre and a German-speaking Franciscan nun was rather a special day.

Skills not necessarily taught at Sandhurst.
In retrospect

Organising anything in the middle of a firefight is dangerous, stupid, reckless and foolhardy.

Skills and drills that you should have been taught at Sandhurst.

The mythical spell of the EU has been broken by the UK electorate - We have left, all barring the final tantrums, spilled tears and overfilled pampers.

Regardless of Changes at the top, the UK will never be led back into the EU by deception again. That genie has left the bottle and is not for returning.

A weak or self serving PM would now need to go back to the electorate, by way of Referendum, to rejoin the EU.

As others, including myself have pointed out, what will the EU look like in 10 years time ?

Now if the EU ( Inst ) were to disband, set up as a single Trading Commission and revert back to a simple Trading Block, that would be a dramatic game changer. Whilst the Political goal is still in play, then it should be a non starter.

Higgs_bosun

On ROPS
On ROPs
The level playing field will be the defining fight of UK-EU trade negotiations... In fact the whole process is doomed for a downhill slide.

"…£17 million worth of sausage meat, uncooked burgers and other products including mince…"

'Kin ell! The EUrines are really going after the big prizes!
Well thats it then. Its curtains for the UK.

Oh my God whatever can we do?

Oh yes, ban VW the murdering lying EU car manufacturer from selling anything in thr UK for ten years....

See how quickly sausage goes back on the menu after that.

In retrospect

Organising anything in the middle of a firefight is dangerous, stupid, reckless and foolhardy.

Skills and drills that you should have been taught at Sandhurst.
Bisque or Chowder sir?

Dont worry about the gunfire, its just the neighbours celebrating Soup Week.

In retrospect, organising a gangbang for seven in the middle of a pissup with a padre and a German-speaking Franciscan nun was rather a special day.

Skills definitely taught at Duntroon.

(I have spoken to a lot of people who have been under fire, from WW2 onwards. They all talk about a common theme, and its not organising funerals. It seems to be avoiding shitting themselves... )

Latest Threads