Brexit Endgame

Cost of Living

Now have a look at the groceries index. Those of you with one track minds will probably still agree with @PhotEx that UK has the most expensive food in the world which is bollox.

Oh, and it's behind a paywall as I don't subscribe to the rag anymore but @Wordsmith will probably have apoplexy when he is told the Daily Telegraph agrees that the UK is well down the list on costs and even London comes a lowly 30th on their list of cities.

He won't know what to think now.
I know you have me on ignore so someone please copy and paste it so @exbleep sees it.

I don't think @PhotEx ever said that we have the most expensive food in the world. That statement is truly bullshit.
The premise, made by the remain losers, was that we will now have to face paying more for our food now we are out of the warm, bosom of the EU.
You have produced no evidence or projection to support that we will be paying more due to 'duties' we will somehow have to pay now we are out.
You alluded to NZ lamb and that there is no duty being levied on its import.
Do you understand that we pay the EU a percentage of every raisin we buy from outside of the EU, regardless of where we sourced it?
You served, you can't be that daft...or are you just selfish, being an expat living in Spain and all that?

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Your problem, not mine.
Not a problem to me at all, and if you don't feel it is a fault in your communication skills, then you are losing more than just this discussion.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not a problem to me at all, and if you don't feel it is a fault in your communication skills, then you are losing more than just this discussion.
You don't get the multiple references to Pandora's Box, Pyrrhic victory and cake and arrse party?

No wonder the thread is full of lost souls looking for a hug.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You don't get the multiple references to Pandora's Box, Pyrrhic victory and cake and arrse party?

No wonder the thread is full of lost souls looking for a hug.
I do, but consider you wrong! That you can't see that seems to indicate you missed out on a few hugs yourself.

I've been pretty accurate, actually. You can't escape your simplistic binary mindset.
In four years you have been accurate and ahead of the curve on one thing. Which was the anti-democratic depths to which remainers in the previous parliament and their supporters would stoop to try to bugger up brexit. We soon realised it too but I think most of us at first resisted the idea as the plainly obvious fact is they would have to face the electorate at some point and would be wiped out, as they of course were.

So you got one thing right, albeit calling the snake like qualities of your side early isn't exactly something to tell the Grandkids about.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
We seem to be fast approaching the point where it would pay the EU to settle quickly and then try to ignore us. Keeping up the battle will harm their dream more.
BoJo's determination that we discuss sovereignty moves the argument onto ground the EU will feel very uncomfortable on. He's pointing out that this is about sovereignty, not some arcane argument about the minutiae of trading rules.

It is an argument that will resonate among the majority of the UK electorate and one that is likely to be picked up by many of the anti-EU parties across Europe.

And it is something that that has long needed saying. This is not about access to the single market, or tariffs or regulations - this is about the right of the UK to set whatever rules, regulations, tax rate, import duties and so on we wish, constrained not by the dictates of Brussels, but by our obligations under international law.

In a word, we are claiming our rights as a free nation back - and rights we've progressively signed away to the EU over the years.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Your accuracy has been outdone only by your brevity, to such an extent I doubt anyone here could outline your ideas.
Brother BL pays homage to what the pigs painted on the end wall in Animal Farm.

Seven words good; six words better.

I can only presume he was the author of the shortest poem in the English language.

It is called "On the antiquity of microbes".

It runs :

"Adam
had 'em"

Wordsmith

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I do, but consider you wrong! That you can't see that seems to indicate you missed out on a few hugs yourself.
I get plenty of hugs every day. Tag along with Turdsmith and see where that gets you.

I know you have me on ignore so someone please copy and paste it so @exbleep sees it.

I don't think @PhotEx ever said that we have the most expensive food in the world. That statement is truly bullshit.
The premise, made by the remain losers, was that we will now have to face paying more for our food now we are out of the warm, bosom of the EU.
You have produced no evidence or projection to support that we will be paying more due to 'duties' we will somehow have to pay now we are out.
Do you understand that we pay the EU a percentage of every raisin we buy from outside of the EU, regardless of where we sourced it?
You served, you can't be that daft...or are you just selfish, being an expat living in Spain and all that?
No, I don't have you on ignore, I just ignore your hundreds of posts week in and week out.

Photex said:
but we have the most expensive food in the western world thanks to EU tarrifs and the CAP, 25% higher.
Will we add EXTRA punitive tarrifs on ourselves after we leave?,

And I've replied we don't and showed links that say we don't. I don't give a toss about Singapore, Malaysia or Ougadoogo being cheaper, he stated in the Western world.

Plus you've added things in that I didn't say or even allude to.
Please show me where I said that or even mentioned it. I didn't and was just pointing out photex made an unsubstantiated statement. It was also photex that said, some time back, the reason we pay so much for NZ lamb is because of the tariffs the EU puts on it and they don't.
Where do raisins come into it? You are making things up that aren't there, that I didn't mention nor even allude to. Simply that photex was coming out with his usual BS.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No, I don't have you on ignore, I just ignore your hundreds of posts week in and week out.

Photex said:
but we have the most expensive food in the western world thanks to EU tarrifs and the CAP, 25% higher.
Will we add EXTRA punitive tarrifs on ourselves after we leave?,

And I've replied we don't and showed links that say we don't. I don't give a toss about Singapore, Malaysia or Ougadoogo being cheaper, he stated in the Western world.

Plus you've added things in that I didn't say or even allude to.
Please show me where I said that or even mentioned it. I didn't and was just pointing out photex made an unsubstantiated statement. It was also photex that said, some time back, the reason we pay so much for NZ lamb is because of the tariffs the EU puts on it and they don't.
Where do raisins come into it? You are making things up that aren't there, that I didn't mention nor even allude to. Simply that photex was coming out with his usual BS.
Do you seriously not understand the 'raisins' reference?
I was alluding to the notion that we can, as members of the EU, buy what we like, when we like and at what rates we like which is bollocks. We have to pay a % of everything we buy that the EU cannot source, and when it can source it, tariffs are applied.
Your entire premise was to suggest that we will be paying more for food,post Brexit. You supported this with links which were at best, dubious.
You need to eat more raisins.:cool:

That story is absolute bollox. The EU's highest tariffs are reserved for agricultural products - up to 20% - 25% in some cases. If we are free to set out own tariffs on food imports, food prices in the shops will come down substantially.

This is not about food prices, but about the complexity of setting up new supply chains to bring in food from non-EU sources. Which should be well within the capabilities of the major supermarket chains. Not least because they're already bring in food from non-EU sources (e.g. Africa), and paying the EU import tariffs on it. So basically merchandising directors staining their underpants brown about the need to do some problem solving - and the risk of being fired if they make a hash of it.

As I said, an utter crap story by the BRC - who should damn well know better than to peddle this bollox.

Wordsmith
Indeed.

Strolled down Surrey Street market in Croydon on Saturday for fruit and veg-who would have believed that some market stall holders could have organised the importation of such exotics as pineapples, mangoes and coconuts.

In February.

Must be the last knockings from pre-Brexit days, it'll be swedes and kale for the forseeable future.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I get plenty of hugs every day. Tag along with Turdsmith and see where that gets you.
You can tell when someone gets under the skin of another on Arrse, a poster's name gets changed into a "funny" misspelling.

Indeed.

Strolled down Surrey Street market in Croydon on Saturday for fruit and veg-who would have believed that some market stall holders could have organised the importation of such exotics as pineapples, mangoes and coconuts.

In February.

Must be the last knockings from pre-Brexit days, it'll be swedes and kale for the forseeable future.
You'll have to get used to dirt and poo as a main course. Vegetables are a post Brexit luxury.

Erm, having come back from Oz, I'm curious as how their groceries are 27% more.
That number strikes me as being about right.

Cost of living is significantly higher in Australia if shopping on a like-for-like basis. Utilities are also far more expensive.

the much touted EU ‘tarrif free quotas’ for many products from down under are so small, they wouldn’t even fill a single ship. After that derisory quota is used up, you have to pay up to an eye watering 150% or more on meat.

can any EUtopian point me at a butchers selling Australian beef?

A71DC48E-954B-4870-BD0B-A0EAE5F2A7D5.png

We've already left legally. A soft Brexit is where not much changes.

Obviously, for the rest of this year we continue to pay the subs and obey the rules, subject to an option to extend for up to 2 years (decision required in less than 5 months).
UK seems determined not to end up with a soft Brexit:

"To think that we might accept EU supervision on so called level playing field issues simply fails to see the point of what we are doing.

"It isn’t a simple negotiating position which might move under pressure – it is the point of the whole project."

We've already left legally. A soft Brexit is where not much changes.

Obviously, for the rest of this year we continue to pay the subs and obey the rules, subject to an option to extend for up to 2 years (decision required in less than 5 months).
Didn't your government rule an extension out?
Meanwhile hte people you put your hope on your countries european "friends" doing an "Up yours!" to your further relations.
France warns of bloody, bitter Brexit battle with Brits

Latest Threads