Brexit Endgame

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Alliances can be very fickle and one minute we are allied to germany and japan and then the next, france and america..... I agree that the german people will inevitably come to the realisation that things have to change, but politically that will not happen in the short term, if ever.

The political bit of member states has to be understood. As those mainstream political parties having a centre which has to an extent gone native(brussels).. The conservative party had to be turned inside and out and threatened by corbyn before it appointed a leader willing to break the chain. I imagine if Corbyn had not being labour leader and rather miliband, the establishment centre of the tory party would have preferred him to boris.
The problem the EU has is that it cannot control external events. And the two problems major problems they face are:
  1. A recession causing major problems in the euro.
  2. The steady loss of GDP to countries in the rest of the world who are more competitive than the over taxed and over regulated EU.
Until they address those problems, everything the EU does is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
You seem to be the SME on many things with your IT background. As long as the Daily Telegraph tells you what to think, that is.

And those figures come from numbeo, you know, an internet company that makes a living by doing things like comparing prices throughout the world, not an internet know-it-all that makes guesses.

Of course, @PhotEx has told us many times that lamb is so expensive here because of the tariffs and taxes the EU puts on stuff from New Zealand. Again, made up bollox as NZ has a tariff free quota to the EU and doesn't get anywhere near making that quota.
Nice swerve around me asking to you post a link to a reputable reference for your original post.

Or was that absolute bollox plucked from thin air?

Wordsmith

Check the story. The before and after is pretty good.
The fact that I would cheerfully believe it was another version of the Rover Group ripoff.
its there.

i'd post the Guardian version but you'd discount that too.
If that is your go to news source then colour me surprised why you come out with bollocks that you spout.

Edited to add:
Here is a link from that site to the Gruniad article. Guess what it doesn't mention, you utter buffoon?
If this is the level of your scrutiny, I fear for your potatolings inherited mental heath:

Last edited:
Nice swerve around me asking to you post a link to a reputable reference for your original post.

Or was that absolute bollox plucked from thin air?

Wordsmith
Didn't bother reading the second paragraph, then?
I'd have thought someone with your extensive IT knowledge would have been able to pick up on the numbeo site but, as you obviously couldn't:

Numbeo

The fact that I would cheerfully believe it was another version of the Rover Group ripoff.
its there.

You do believe some bs don't you.
It went bust because it was badly managed by a suspected fraudster.
As I said even by your standards the story is ridiculous.
Do post the grauniad version. I like a laugh.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
its there.

Doubt it's anything to do with BRexit, more to do with the CEO thinking he could walk on water and found out he couldn't. Looks like a typical headline grabbing cheap shot to me...

How do we compare to the rest of the EU?
The point our @PhotEx was making was the UK was more expensive (which is bollox) due to the tariffs applied by the EU. Unless you think the UK has different tariffs applied by the EU than to other countries then they would work out the same, would they not?
And just to answer, slightly lower in Germany (7%) but much higher in France (22.9%) and almost 10% higher in Belgium.
Just pointing out his making things up mind has failed once again and UK is not more expensive than the rest of the western world.

The problem the EU has is that it cannot control external events. And the two problems major problems they face are:
  1. A recession causing major problems in the euro.
  2. The steady loss of GDP to countries in the rest of the world who are more competitive than the over taxed and over regulated EU.
Until they address those problems, everything the EU does is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Wordsmith
I think a recession seems more than likely this year.
A failure to pass a FTA with the UK would extend that recession into 2021..
Elections have a tendency to make it harder to compromise...

As a euro-sceptic its being marvellous to see how over the past five years the EU has gone from an unstoppable force, to a basket case through hubris and a series of self inflicted wounds.

I'd have thought someone with your extensive IT knowledge would have been able to pick up on the numbeo site but, as you obviously couldn't:

Numbeo
Read the second para again in case there was anything of value in it.
There wasn't.
Norton went bust because it was run by a dreamer and suspected fraudster.
I have seen their product up very close.
Beautifully made, not too expensive for the money, but with the old Norton vibes at 4,000 rpm and a steering lock to make a Ducati 900SS look practical.
Outside of really serious fans and investors it had no hope.

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE
The point our @PhotEx was making was the UK was more expensive (which is bollox) due to the tariffs applied by the EU. Unless you think the UK has different tariffs applied by the EU than to other countries then they would work out the same, would they not?
And just to answer, slightly lower in Germany (7%) but much higher in France (22.9%) and almost 10% higher in Belgium.
Just pointing out his making things up mind has failed once again and UK is not more expensive than the rest of the western world.
Which cities did you use as comparisons? I only ask because I get very different figures depending on where one bases the costs. Or is there a section of the website that aggregates all grocery costs across each country based on population?

I think a recession seems more than likely this year.
There are some who are saying that unless Coronavirus is stopped soon, it is an absolute certainty.

Anyway.

From the UK's man in Brussels, David Frost

Britain does not need any special arrangements in its future relationship with the European Union, Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s spokesman said on Monday, adding that it wants a trade agreement similar to other deals the EU has struck.

Good drills - The KISS principle, that will confuse the EU.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

Numbeo
You mean this link?

Which doesn't bear much resemble to your list.

Wordsmith

its there.

Have you ever thought of posting on something you have some knowledge of.
I have been waiting for this to happen since I got my leg over a Norton 950 and refused a rest ride as I considered it far too impractical for the road, certainly for a man of my skills which are above average I suspect.

Dumb1

War Hero
Yep

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/environment/opinion/dods-monitoring/109900/are-there-plenty-more-fish-sea-eu

Looking at it over-simplistically, were EU trawlers to be banned from UK waters, UK trawlers could be allowed to catch another 200,000 tons of fish, while the remaining now uncaught 500,000 tons of fish stock would be a major contribution to allowing fish stocks to recover. Then, a few years hence, we could be looking at UK trawlers being allowed to catch an additional 25,000 tones of fish every few years.

The f-up that the EU fishing rules have become should not be a surprise. With control now residing with Brussels, not individual nation states, politics takes precedence over a sustainable fishing policy. With EU trawlers shut out of UK waters, Westminster has the opportunity to manage our fish stocks so that they recover and - in parallel - allow steadily increasing and sustainable catches in the future.

Wordsmith
Our fisherman really deserve a break.
I knew 4 years ago that Bowmore, Islay would vote Leave after a stroll round their harbour (post a sampling afternoon).
Those tossers in the SNP utterly neglected them.

Ps. Anyone know when the nippy sweetie is due to do a Schofield - rumour mill has been vigorous for a few months now
If it is true, I can't think of anything more fundamentally dishonest to her electors.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
There are some who are saying that unless Coronavirus is stopped soon, it is an absolute certainty.

Anyway.

The EU seems to be suffering from it's own Project Fear - the fear that the UK will cut tax, regulation and import duties and achieve a growth rate significantly higher than the EU. Si it's trying to handicap the UK to stop that happening.

Note the EU mindset: it's not 'we must change and restore our lost competitiveness re the rest of the world". It's "we must handicap the UK so it can't outgrow us after it's left".

The problem for the EU is that if they press too hard, Bojo will just say "WTO terms it is". Something I suspect holds no fears for him, and which he would be happy to so if the EU provides him with an excuse for doing so.

Wordsmith

Have you ever thought of posting on something you have some knowledge of.
I have been waiting for this to happen since I got my leg over a Norton 950 and refused a rest ride as I considered it far too impractical for the road, certainly for a man of my skills which are above average I suspect.
Whilst potatoes are an interesting, versatile tuber, I'd sooner do without our resident spudz further rambling. That guy is making himself ill.
@skid2

Anyway.

China has being on hold for a couple of months and likely at least another month, with the bottleneck likely taking another 3 months beyond that to clear. The price of raw materials is dropping, so Germany in particular, will be seeing a major stalling of demand, right now. As Germany is europes engine of growth and buys a lot of other other member states produce, I think its a racing certainity..... A critical mass might be another influx of migrants, all with the electoral cycle approaching for germany.

Matelot Spy

Clanker
Which cities did you use as comparisons? I only ask because I get very different figures depending on where one bases the costs. Or is there a section of the website that aggregates all grocery costs across each country based on population?
I believe this is the link @exbleep was using.

Numbeo

The site relies on the number and accuracy of information supplied by contributors.

Having looked at my city the accuracy is questionable.

Last edited:
The EU seems to be suffering from it's own Project Fear - the fear that the UK will cut tax, regulation and import duties and achieve a growth rate significantly higher than the EU. Si it's trying to handicap the UK to stop that happening.

Note the EU mindset: it's not 'we must change and restore our lost competitiveness re the rest of the world". It's "we must handicap the UK so it can't outgrow us after it's left".

The problem for the EU is that if they press too hard, Bojo will just say "WTO terms it is". Something I suspect holds no fears for him, and which he would be happy to so if the EU provides him with an excuse for doing so.

Wordsmith
I hazard a guess that apart from the obvious pecuniary link, there are strong correlations between military, intelligence, policing, transport, communications and other strategic support by the UK delivered to mutually beneficial economic relationships. If we cast adrift the EU and focus on multiple alternate opportunities that include minor players with little axes, we should reap the benefit of being able to settle for a much stress-less economic, social and political life.

Latest Threads