Brexit Endgame

Long long ago, as a kid, I was fascinated by shortwave radio. This was long before the internet and global TV news. I would lie in bed listening to world events live, then read about them on my fathers newspaper at breakfast the next day.

One thing I quickly learned was that Voice of America and Radio Moscow were masters at putting spin on events. You would struggle to understand that they were both talking about the same events.

I clearly remember listening to clandestine radio stations in Czechoslovakia in 1968. The Prague Spring that led to hell for so many.

There is a clear connection to Brexit Bollocks.

these days I get a series of daily news updates. Today the Express reported that the EU was sinking rapidly. ”Markets sink” with lots of data about production figures, GDP stalled at 0.1%, Germany, France and Italy all stagnating, doom and gloom.

Meanwhile Bloomberg runs with a good news headline, saying that the Italian spread to German bund yields is back to where it was in 2018. Now let me point out the obvious. The German economy is up shit creek. Thats why the Italian spread has improved - not some magnificent business effort from italy.

Radio Moscow style bollox still exists.

Lying EU loving turds.

‘Fantastic news that the Home Office expects all new passports issued by the middle of this year to be proper blue British passports, with new blue passports potentially being issued as early as March. A powerful symbol of our independence!’

The above from elsewhere.I hope there’s been no embargo broken for tomorrow’s good news bit.
Remainers will be pleased.

Passport colour is crucial to them.

Here is the problem as seen through a Colonial view point....

What you do with the Continentals is your business.
But they also have a formidable defensive line and the UK is trying to march down the field in a hurry up offensive because you have two minutes left on the clock... They are not going to roll over and give up.

I don't think it is a bone idea but the the way it is being managed needs some immediate improvement.

You can't take on the world, which is what it seems like your government is trying to do all at once. As has been pointed out. You can talk $hit to the other teams, but that is not going to get anything done. All it is going to do is piss off the other side and make sure they want to hit you harder.

The expectation was that the UK would come out and start negotiations in a serious manner on 1-2. With the thought that you would attempt to sign a deal with the States first and add pressure to the EU. But that is not possible anymore at this time.

The EU knows this now, and will continue to dig in and play hard ball. They seem to be stiffening for a long drawn out fight and time is on their side. If they come to terms with America first, then that increases pressure on the UK to sign some crappy deal in order to avoid the pain of 31-12 with no deal in hand. They will cut your knees out from under you if they can.

Then you also have to throw China into the mix which the US is at loggerheads with, and it gets even more complicated. Because what deals you ink with them, will effect what the United States will or will not do for the UK. You have great power competition with the UK caught in the middle of the mess, and offending one bloc will bounce back. Sovereignty has a price and at least as a member of the EU you were protected from all of the blow back.

It will be interesting to watch...Especially considering the economic slowdown bound to occur world wide due to a virus in China.
Brilliant assessment. No, really, absolutely fantastic, incisive analysis of the UK.

Come back soon.

Can somebody explain the difference between The Saj's 6 SPADs and Dominic Cummings, and not just the numbers?
Don't understand the question. As has been stated in several other threads BoJo wants one team all going in the same direction. No 11 were doing their own thing and leaking to the press, one of them was unceremoniously sacked before xmas for leaking. Now BoJo will get a single team of SPADs for No 10 and 11. Cummings is BoJos senior adviser.

Don't understand the question. As has been stated in several other threads BoJo wants one team all going in the same direction. No 11 were doing their own thing and leaking to the press, one of them was unceremoniously sacked before xmas for leaking. Now BoJo will get a single team of SPADs for No 10 and 11. Cummings is BoJos senior adviser.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. It was in regards to the guph spouted about Dom being an unelected bureaucrat?

Can somebody explain the difference between The Saj's 6 SPADs and Dominic Cummings, and not just the numbers?
it’s certainly screwed over the media who are in total ‘we didn’t see this coming’ meltdown this morning.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It was in regards to the guph spouted about Dom being an unelected bureaucrat?
They're all SPADs. Cummings is Bojos senior SPAD.

Ouch.... not going to be a Happy Springtime Fur Germany

“Even though there had been several one-offs, explaining the short-term weakness, the bigger picture of the German economy is clear: it has been in a de facto stagnation since the summer of 2018. In particular, the manufacturing sector remains caught between cyclical weakness, on the back of the trade conflict and weaker global growth, and structural weakness, on the back of disruption in the automotive sector and too little investment.”

Here is the problem as seen through a Colonial view point....

What you do with the Continentals is your business.
But they also have a formidable defensive line and the UK is trying to march down the field in a hurry up offensive because you have two minutes left on the clock... They are not going to roll over and give up.

I don't think it is a bone idea but the the way it is being managed needs some immediate improvement.

You can't take on the world, which is what it seems like your government is trying to do all at once. As has been pointed out. You can talk $hit to the other teams, but that is not going to get anything done. All it is going to do is piss off the other side and make sure they want to hit you harder.

The expectation was that the UK would come out and start negotiations in a serious manner on 1-2. With the thought that you would attempt to sign a deal with the States first and add pressure to the EU. But that is not possible anymore at this time.

The EU knows this now, and will continue to dig in and play hard ball. They seem to be stiffening for a long drawn out fight and time is on their side. If they come to terms with America first, then that increases pressure on the UK to sign some crappy deal in order to avoid the pain of 31-12 with no deal in hand. They will cut your knees out from under you if they can.

Then you also have to throw China into the mix which the US is at loggerheads with, and it gets even more complicated. Because what deals you ink with them, will effect what the United States will or will not do for the UK. You have great power competition with the UK caught in the middle of the mess, and offending one bloc will bounce back. Sovereignty has a price and at least as a member of the EU you were protected from all of the blow back.

It will be interesting to watch...Especially considering the economic slowdown bound to occur world wide due to a virus in China.
The european de-fence is rules based, flat footed and depended heavily on the rush. Its strength comes from unity and its one thing being strong whilst the UK sorts our offence out, but at some point, the europeans will face an offence that itself is united (Boris is even now engineering a government which will have less leaks and holes). All in all to face a good offence requires flexibility and the EU unity can't operate outside the rule book.

As you say, china..... Itss actually done us a mighty favour. Because a threat to the global economy tends to force creative thinking and the individual member states will see our arguments of free trade far more sympathetically, as will the don in a re-election year. As such brexit odds of success are rising fast, once we emerge from the inevitable recession that seems likely due to a china slowdown.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep. BoJo seems:
  • Determined to make meaningful change
  • To do it rapidly
  • To appoint minsters capable of making change - and not just spouting soundbites
  • To do it with joined up government
Cummings is the brains trust, but BoJo is the person with the authority to (a) decide whether to follow Cumming's ideas and (b) if so to make them happen.

Wordsmith

Yep. BoJo seems:
  • Determined to make meaningful change
  • To do it rapidly
  • To appoint minsters capable of making change - and not just spouting soundbites
  • To do it with joined up government
Cummings is the brains trust, but BoJo is the person with the authority to (a) decide whether to follow Cumming's ideas and (b) if so to make them happen.

Wordsmith
Evidence backed decisions by ministers, no longer just doing stuff depending on how the wind is blowing, with measurable results, I imagine the intention being that if you're not getting results then you're out on your @rse. Reduction of kite flying as that's not great for the public perception.
Getting a grip of the MSM who have gone the route of not reporting news but telling us what to think of it.

I’m glad it’s China’s fault. If the UK economy takes a dive no way on this earth could it ever have anything to do with Brexit.
That isn't what I'm saying and you know it. The economies are all going to take a dive one way or the other. This growth period is over bar the shouting and investors are going to be more selective in what they back in respect of returns. That means that all Governments are going to have take up the temporary slack. We will whether we remained in Europe or not. To give Britain the edge right now makes sense, hence the infrastructure projects. The question as to whether migrants stay here will be based on if they can get work to stay here of it they have to bite the bullet, not what rights they can get if they stay.

But you can't depend on china for Growth on the one hand and then criticise for unfair trading practises on the other.

Ministers recruit their own SPADs... They're are then ultra loyal to their man/woman and as such brief, against his rivals. Those briefings are highly damaging to government.

Think feudal order and a baron with his own army of mercenaries. The king might not be overly fond of having that operating against him from within the kingdom.

Truxx

LE
Ministers recruit their own SPADs... They're are then ultra loyal to their man/woman and as such brief, against his rivals. Those briefings are highly damaging to government.

Think feudal order and a baron with his own army of mercenaries. The king might not be overly fond of having that operating against him from within the kingdom.
The sPAD debate got methinking

In the mid 90s in MOD I do not ever remember a SPAD. I remember the PPSs . But not SPADs. Neither Rifkind nor Portillo ( and I worked on the 7th floor at the time)
Fast forward to the early 2000 s and the landscape had changed. A lot. SPADS. Faaasands of em.

Latest Threads