Brexit Endgame

Here is the problem as seen through a Colonial view point....

What you do with the Continentals is your business.
But they also have a formidable defensive line and the UK is trying to march down the field in a hurry up offensive because you have two minutes left on the clock... They are not going to roll over and give up.

I don't think it is a bone idea but the the way it is being managed needs some immediate improvement.

You can't take on the world, which is what it seems like your government is trying to do all at once. As has been pointed out. You can talk $hit to the other teams, but that is not going to get anything done. All it is going to do is piss off the other side and make sure they want to hit you harder.

The expectation was that the UK would come out and start negotiations in a serious manner on 1-2. With the thought that you would attempt to sign a deal with the States first and add pressure to the EU. But that is not possible anymore at this time.

The EU knows this now, and will continue to dig in and play hard ball. They seem to be stiffening for a long drawn out fight and time is on their side. If they come to terms with America first, then that increases pressure on the UK to sign some crappy deal in order to avoid the pain of 31-12 with no deal in hand. They will cut your knees out from under you if they can.

Then you also have to throw China into the mix which the US is at loggerheads with, and it gets even more complicated. Because what deals you ink with them, will effect what the United States will or will not do for the UK. You have great power competition with the UK caught in the middle of the mess, and offending one bloc will bounce back. Sovereignty has a price and at least as a member of the EU you were protected from all of the blow back.

It will be interesting to watch...Especially considering the economic slowdown bound to occur world wide due to a virus in China.
Your last sentence completely negates all the rest. If we are headed for an economic slowdown due to China, which incidentally is already slowing down what the hell was the point of the EU trumpeting it’s trade deal when it did? I’ve said this before. If the EU’s share of world trade is reducing, we’ll compound it they say. The EU is as strong as it’s weakest link and it has a number of them, not least the effect the green lobby is having on current economic thinking

45x45

LE
Has Dominic Rab .. Sorry Johnson got anyone else he wants to sack, bloody immigrants coming over here and letting their son be Chancellor, another ex-****** just what the country needs.

45x45

LE
Your last sentence completely negates all the rest. If we are headed for an economic slowdown due to China, which incidentally is already slowing down what the hell was the point of the EU trumpeting it’s trade deal when it did? I’ve said this before. If the EU’s share of world trade is reducing, we’ll compound it they say. The EU is as strong as it’s weakest link and it has a number of them, not least the effect the green lobby is having on current economic thinking
I’m glad it’s China’s fault. If the UK economy takes a dive no way on this earth could it ever have anything to do with Brexit.

Steamboat

War Hero
To put pressure on your side. This all Texas Hold'em when it comes down to it. The UK and the EU are in a love hate relationship but you two are so closely linked you will share the same fate. If they go down, you go down. Like the US and China and our love hate weird situation.

Yes the EU is only as strong as it's weakest links but that doesn't mean Greece or Portugal are going to dictate to the Germans or French. It is possible the EU might fall apart, but that is further down the road. But what I find interesting is the "reset" in EU US relations which was also pretty damn bitter. Now all of a sudden it seems the powers that be don't want a pissing contest for some weird reason....like perhaps China??

The EU however is also trying to bind you to them, knowing that on things like Climate Change will limit your options with other countries that don't quite drink that Kool-Aid to the same extent as they do. Or on issues like food standards which also differ from country to country. In order to ink out a deal with them, you have to agree to their terms.

Truxx

LE
To put pressure on your side. This all Texas Hold'em when it comes down to it. The UK and the EU are in a love hate relationship but you two are so closely linked you will share the same fate. If they go down, you go down. Like the US and China and our love hate weird situation.

Yes the EU is only as strong as it's weakest links but that doesn't mean Greece or Portugal are going to dictate to the Germans or French. It is possible the EU might fall apart, but that is further down the road. But what I find interesting is the "reset" in EU US relations which was also pretty damn bitter. Now all of a sudden it seems the powers that be don't want a pissing contest for some weird reason....like perhaps China??

The EU however is also trying to bind you to them, knowing that on things like Climate Change will limit your options with other countries that don't quite drink that Kool-Aid to the same extent as they do. Or on issues like food standards which also differ from country to country. In order to ink out a deal with them, you have to agree to their terms.

You seem to be coming at this issue as if we are currently in a vacuum, as if no trade currently exists between the UK and the USA, whereas that is not the case, I trade with US suppliers on a weekly basis. Should the tarriff (duty at this end) situation change, I might be obliged to alter my modus operandi.

The same applies to the EU. For a long time now we in business have been running a twin track approach ranging from no Brexit to no deal. Most businesses will have considered the whole range of outcomes.

I, for one, am slightly uncomfortable about a trade deal, as it could well be that my particular area of interest may suffer to achieve some greater good. So my business preference is the status quo: should there be a trade war that cuts across my business bows then I, and many others like me, will simply look elsewhere.

Business does that.

Has Dominic Rab .. Sorry Johnson got anyone else he wants to sack, bloody immigrants coming over here and letting their son be Chancellor, another ex-****** just what the country needs.
He wasn't sacked.
You still appear to be confused about how the world works.

If you're bothered about people being nasty for no good reason you might want to look at the continuing attacks against BL - mob bullying of the worst kind by people who have contributed "nothing" to the thread. Not.A.Sausage. between them.
A sort of blue on blue then?

He resigned you cretin.

Because they wanted to sack his six SPADs.

Fair play. He's going to be back shortly. Can't beat a good old school resigning.

Steamboat

War Hero
You seem to be coming at this issue as if we are currently in a vacuum, as if no trade currently exists between the UK and the USA, whereas that is not the case, I trade with US suppliers on a weekly basis. Should the tarriff (duty at this end) situation change, I might be obliged to alter my modus operandi.

The same applies to the EU. For a long time now we in business have been running a twin track approach ranging from no Brexit to no deal. Most businesses will have considered the whole range of outcomes.

I, for one, am slightly uncomfortable about a trade deal, as it could well be that my particular area of interest may suffer to achieve some greater good. So my business preference is the status quo: should there be a trade war that cuts across my business bows then I, and many others like me, will simply look elsewhere.

Business does that.
No, trade does exist, and a fair deal between both countries would be beneficial if terms can be reached. One can always try to improve things.

But Javid was setting up some intentional agro with the US over the proposed digital sales tax. Which led to the threats against your auto industry. When it turns into tit for tat things tend to spiral.

When it comes to that, somebody is always going to have their neck on the chopping block. So I understand your point of view. The whole climate change crap has the potential to hurt and has hurt my employment.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
‘Fantastic news that the Home Office expects all new passports issued by the middle of this year to be proper blue British passports, with new blue passports potentially being issued as early as March. A powerful symbol of our independence!’

The above from elsewhere.I hope there’s been no embargo broken for tomorrow’s good news bit.

is he Welsh ? Dominic Cummings, playing with Johnson like he’s a puppet. The unelectable making the decisions for the masses. Can’t wait till he tells us what kind of Brexit we are getting. Things are on the up and up.
Top tip, always start a sentence with a capital letter.

Nomad1382

War Hero
Legit question, especially for the Remain camp, why is the EU trying so hard to keep the UK in the EU or barring that, tying the UK to the EU regs and duties?

As for Trump negotiating a trade deal with the EU, the problem is going to arise with their duties and import regulations. the US will want an easing of the regulations and favorable duties. I really can't see the EU giving that to the Us and not to the UK except as a big FU to the UK.

Latest Threads