Brexit Endgame

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
That was in your day, grandpa. A or R for the younger of us.
Mind you; for all the chuntering on here I've gotten the impression that the thing only needed one round to down a T-80, the USS Nimitz or the moon.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
One look at his record shows that Johnson's a pragmatist and a shrewd operator - he's not going to do any deal which gives credibility to the narrative that he 'sold out' because that would be the most effective line of attack for his enemies, and nor is he going to indulge in damaging heroic gestures for their own sake.

Any business worth its salt mitigated its supply chain risk when the result of the referendum was known.
I would imagine the broad sequence of events is:
  1. Get the withdrawal bill through parliament.
  2. Open very public FTA negotiations with other countries. (The US and commonwealth account for over 40% of world trade, the EU less than 15%)
  3. Say to the EU "and your counter offer on a free trade agreement is?"
Once BoJo got a big majority, a lot of the EU's leverage over the UK went...

Wordsmith

The negotiations will be tough and the UK will have to make concessions. I really hope fishing is not given away, as this would be a huge boost to the SNP.
Such it is with all trade talks, we give a little, take a little. That won’t make many on here happy.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Mind you; for all the chuntering on here I've gotten the impression that the thing only needed one round to down a T-80, the USS Nimitz or the moon.
When I was at Uni many moons ago, we were taught that the cosmological constant in Einstein's Theory of Relativity was to account for the effect of 'that rifle' being fired...

Wordsmith :smile:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
nor is he going to indulge in damaging heroic gestures for their own sake.
Like dying in a ditch if the UK didn't leave the EU on 31st October 2019?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
There's no 'or'. One round could do all three.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Parliament and the Supreme Court filled the ditch.

BlackDyke

War Hero
I would imagine the broad sequence of events is:
  1. Get the withdrawal bill through parliament.
  2. Open very public FTA negotiations with other countries. (The US and commonwealth account for over 40% of world trade, the EU less than 15%)
  3. Say to the EU "and your counter offer on a free trade agreement is?"
Once BoJo got a big majority, a lot of the EU's leverage over the UK went...

Wordsmith
Don't forget the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
From nowhere it proved to be an absolute show stopper and for the life of me I cannot work out why the idiot Clegg insisted on it in the first place.
Maybe his little joke on the rest of us as an idiotic legacy, certainly made its mark.

I would hope that Boris has got its repeal pencilled in as a matter of urgency.

One round for all three in the hands of...

... well, in the hands of anybody with hands and at least one finger and one eye.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You're learning!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Like they were actually sovereign after all. Colour me surprised.
Why would they not be in that context?

Note that they were not able to set aside Article 50.

He did die in the ditch but he was resurrected with a 80+ seat majority.
A toon;

ACAB

LE
Don't forget the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
From nowhere it proved to be an absolute show stopper and for the life of me I cannot work out why the idiot Clegg insisted on it in the first place.
Maybe his little joke on the rest of us as an idiotic legacy, certainly made its mark.

I would hope that Boris has got its repeal pencilled in as a matter of urgency.
It was to remove prerogative powers, which are seen as undemocratic by many.

Why does he need to shore up the cuntrist vote? He's got a stonking great majority as it is.
I’m speculating.

The ERG have had a lot of power within the Tory party and the governments position on brexit. That majority he’s just won means they don’t have that power anymore and Boris will have a freer hand to do what he likes.

I don’t know what that’ll be but given the way he treated the DUP when he saw a political advantage I don’t think he’d stand by the ERG’s position just because they helped get him into power should he see something to be gained.

One look at his record shows that Johnson's a pragmatist and a shrewd operator - he's not going to do any deal which gives credibility to the narrative that he 'sold out' because that would be the most effective line of attack for his enemies, and nor is he going to indulge in damaging heroic gestures for their own sake.

Any business worth its salt mitigated its supply chain risk when the result of the referendum was known.
Im not convinced either way to be honest. I’d agree on the shrewd/pragmatic bit but I’m not convinced that would mean he wouldn’t change tack if he thought there might be a benefit in it for him. He’s no zealot.

Last edited:

Latest Threads