Brexit Endgame

Providing EU trawlers are genuinely shut out of UK waters (substantially reducing the tonnage of fish taken) and conservation is sensible, there is capacity for both UK trawlers to earn a decent living and fish stocks to recover.

The other predictable thing is that the EU won't cut back their limits accordingly, which will result in EU waters being severely over-fished over the next decade.

Finally, BoJo can give the EU a big political headache over this. He needs to announce significant cutbacks in the catch from UK waters and state that's because of past EU policies and the need to let fish stocks recover. Which will be applauded by conservationists.

(That'll give the Greens on the continent a big headache. Do they side with the EU or the cutbacks...)

Wordsmith
Not a greeny apart from when in uniform, but I'd applaud conservation.
Pay the UK fishermen compo based on filed tax returns, for a year or two. Anyone else can do one.
Then get the Icelanders and Norwegians over to show us how to manage the resource.

Not a greeny apart from when in uniform, but I'd applaud conservation.
Pay the UK fishermen compo based on filed tax returns, for a year or two. Anyone else can do one.
Then get the Icelanders and Norwegians over to show us how to manage the resource.
that was a big beef with the Cornish fishermen. They understand how to, and the need to have a sustainable fishery, And self regulate to protect their livelyhood... meanwhile, Manuel with his EU quota and no interest in conserving stocks, hoovers everything up.
the UK has maintained its fishing stocks in spite of the EU, not because of it.

I think they (the remainer's) tried pretty much everything, less having daily executions of Leavers families on College Green until such time as they agreed to reverse Article 50

I'll wager it was mentioned somewhere in a We're better Together meeting
From what I recall May's exit deal was as close to BINO as you could get, but Remainders in parliament wanted the whole thing reversed and lost the support of their constituents and party.
They really did mess up.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the major influencing factors in my Leave vote.
Our politicians have hidden behind the skirt of the EU for the last 40 years.
The "Yeah, we don't like this (Insert major political policy that nobody here voted or campaigned for) either but the EU want it etc", will end and the politicians will be forced to live with any consequences of their policies.
Could that be the reason that the EU was so popular with the political class? Well that and the obvious career track of failed politicians (see Kinnock and Mandelson to name but two and I suspect Lord Adonis is bitterly disappointed at being denied his go at the trough).
Scratch the surface of any remainer and you will find a wide selfish/self interest streak and utter hatred and lack of understanding for those with whom they disagree.
The last person to stand up to the UK was Maggie - who hand-bagged the EU into giving us our rebate.

Compare and contrast with Blair - who gave up 1/3 of our rebate for the square root of fornicate all.

The problem has been that politicians elected to Westminster were fundamentally in agreement with the direction the EU was taking - and acquiesced in the gradual erosion of UK sovereignty that resulted.

They were fundamentally out of step with much of the electorate, who eventually made it clear (by voting for UKIP) that no Tory government would be elected without doing something about the EU - hence CMD's offer of a referendum. And when the MP's tried to covertly overturn the result of the referendum, a lot were given their P45's in December.

I suspect MP's will be a lot more circumspect in this parliament - but the arrogance will eventually return, along with the feeling the electorate should be told what's good for them. Then the whole cycle will start again.

(The previous cycle was ended by the expenses scandal, but the arrogance eventually crept back).

Wordsmith

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
There were three interlinked problems for the opposition:
  1. How to overturn Brexit
  2. How to do that without the electorate taking their revenge at the ballot box
  3. How to bring about a GE that the opposition parties could win.
Their maneuvering for (2) was so transparent that if they brought about (1), they were in for a pasting at the ballot box. The opposition parties could have brought about a GE at any time via a vote of confidence in the latter days of May's administration - but risked a battering from the electorate. So they shied away from bringing down the government - and were eventually comprehensively outmaneuvered by BoJo.

In addition, the opposition parties were all maneuvering for individual electoral advantage in a GE that could not be long delayed - and all had different agendas. Instead of hanging together, they eventually hung themselves separately.

A final handicap the opposition had was that the leader of the opposition was (a) loathed by the public and (b) lacked the management and strategic skills to bring all the opposition parties together, land May with all the blame for delaying Brexit and then overturn it after an opposition win in the resulting GE.

Which is a long winded way of saying Brexit was saved because Parliament was largely inhabited by political pygmies.

Wordsmith
The Remainers' biggest problem was trying to convince the British public that their opposition to Brexit was based on principle and a robust understanding of the issues while making it increasingly obvious that it was based on the worst sort of snobbery, sense of entitlement and naked I'm alright Jackery.

From what I recall May's exit deal was as close to BINO as you could get, but Remainders in parliament wanted the whole thing reversed and lost the support of their constituents and party.
They really did mess up.
astonishing, isn’t it?

Remainers delivered us a harder Brexit than we had hoped for

And now as we move forward we will get to see which of the piglets at the trough have the ability to become parliamentarians, leaders & law makers, without the safety net of the EU.

Interesting times. I think many will be found wanting, hopefully some cream will rise.
Alternatively, without the EU handcuffs, it'll mean that a future (far-left) Labour Government can do a whole raft of things that they couldn't do within the EU.

A ELW Labour Government majority, with some stifling of the Supreme court and a loaded HoL, they can attempt to act out all their school-boy Communist wet dreams they want

They really did mess up.
If the little EUlanders had given Cameron real concessions, they wouldn't be in the state they're in now

Bang goes Macrons demand of 25 years access to UK fishing waters :D
Let's not kid ourselves it'll all rosy and straightforward, Boris is a free-market advocate after all.
For the right price, you can have as many licenses as you can afford.

The below says we'll have control our waters, not have total exclusivity to it

The legislation to be published Wednesday will include the following provisions:

EU vessels’ automatic right to fish in U.K. waters will end.
Foreign boats will need U.K. licenses and will have to follow British rules.
Plans will be made for every fish stock to ensure sustainable fishing.
The U.K. will take into account climate change impacts on its fisheries.

Fisheries plans will recognize that many fish stocks are “shared stocks” requiring negotiation with other coastal states to ensure sustainable catches.

The Remainers' biggest problem was trying to convince the British public that their opposition to Brexit was based on principle and a robust understanding of the issues while making it increasingly obvious that it was based on the worst sort of snobbery, sense of entitlement and naked I'm alright Jackery.
And hatred of the working class, that was always there behind their gammon sneering

Witness Emily Thornberry and her Rochester white van man social media posts

OH NO! POOR TIG!

what will she say to this!

Does not appear to be caused by Brexit, probably the trigger was non Portuguese who are living there and gobbing off about how much they like living there and how great it is for Brits.

Latest Threads