Brexit Endgame

Indeed. Hence I am very cautious indeed.
Regardless of country of origin drivers who start for us do a few weeks stint in a van, then a few more weeks stint in a 7.5 tonner and of they are okay with those they get in to something bigger with a chaperone for a few days.
Quite happy with newly qualified drivers. We'll work with them to build up their experience.

Curiously enough over the last couple of years we have no difficulty recruiting and retaining British HGV drivers. The whole world predicted disaster on the driver availability front but we are finding exactly the opposite.
Not entirely certain why to be honest. But driver recruitment now is easier than its been in a decade.
Conventional wisdom has it that Brexit should have caused a shortage of professional drivers, it just hasn't happened.
If I ever figure out quite why I'll let you know!

I did have a pair of 12 year old rock up at my office door a couple of months ago and present me with Romanian licences and obviously fake CPC cards (really quite poor copies) looking for work. Promises of converting their licences to UK ones etc. Not for me thanks but they probably found work somewhere.
Mate of mines doris is an ADI who does a lot of contract training for the supermarket delivery arms. 10% plus of those applying have fake driving licences once checked with Swansea.

No, but I did catch one trying to use one of our fuel cards for his own use
Evidently unaware that fuel usage patterns were monitored and unusual times/locations stand out quite prominently.
I was told the trick is to fill a large Jerry can from day one...

Mate of mines doris is an ADI who does a lot of contract training for the supermarket delivery arms. 10% plus of those applying have fake driving licences once checked with Swansea.

Didn't know that it was that high but doesn't surprise me at all.

We run all drivers through a licence checking service but that does mean getting replacement drivers at short notice can be tricky. Agencies email us over a copy of a licence before the driver arrives and they are responsible for checking it but I never quite trust verification until I've seen it for myself.

I was told the trick is to fill a large Jerry can from day one...

Not so common now, and if you did it at my place I'd probably catch you.
Mileage and fuel usage is monitored, we have multiples of identical vehicles and if one is using more fuel than the others I see it.
I KPI monitor fuel usage by driver and by vehicle, most vehicles have a driver ID keypad and they all drivers have their own PINS.

You may get away with 10 or 20 litres when putting hundreds of litres in a lorry but not for long.
It will show up if one driver is getting worse fuel consumption than another and their drving style is monitored by a very clever telematics system that tells me if they are a bit heavy footed.
Installing that system across 24 vans and 7.5 tonners wiped two grand a month off the fuel bill......

Most of all, all drivers know that misbehavior will cost them their job and know how much knicking 20 litres of diesel will cost them in the long run

I had a driver doing 89mph on the M40 last week out of our Midlands depot.
The telematics system sent me an alert, I had a chat with the TM in that depot and within the hour the driver was having a standing up chat with the TM and wasn't offered coffee.
He sent me an apology the next day!
Technology is very clever these days and its narrowing down bad behavior and rule bending.

I do hope you've all coughed up...you couldn't make this up.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
More importantly, Johsnon has just f*cked up our chances of a decent deal with the US.

Yes, I was wondering about this too, as this Govt. has made some noise about concurrent trade negotiations with the US.

It seems (according to the Guardian anyway) that it’s not such a big deal after all, or that Huawei’s involvement will now be negligible enough to suit the US: UK Huawei decision appears to avert row with US

The big concern for the Americans appears to be that the UK does not align closely with the EU. In which case I guess it’s going to come down to who the Govt. wants the bigger trade with; the EU or the USA.

Yes, I was wondering about this too, as this Govt. has made some noise about concurrent trade negotiations with the US.

It seems (according to the Guardian anyway) that it’s not such a big deal after all, or that Huawei’s involvement will now be negligible enough to suit the US: UK Huawei decision appears to avert row with US

The big concern for the Americans appears to be that the UK does not align closely with the EU. In which case I guess it’s going to come down to who the Govt. wants the bigger trade with; the EU or the USA.
security? Meh.....

market share for US vendors? Yeah.....

This is a highly recommended watch...

Minute 17.2 "Who benefits from unlimited labour" is a bit of an eye-opener, especially when she talks about the tax payer subsidising business through our EU payments, so they don't have to pay tariffs, and also benefit from cheap labour.

What a bunch of mugs we've been.

Last edited:

Minute 17.2 "Who benefits from unlimited labour" is a bit of an eye-opener, especially when she talks about the tax payer subsidising business through our EU payments, so they don't have to pay tariffs, and also benefit from cheap labour.

Thank you. Been saying what she’s saying from day one, but then one is merely a lowly Customs officer retired .

Pretty much saying what right minded brexiters have been saying for years.

We've been taken for mugs, but pity the remainers who are voluntarily remaining mugs.

Are you jealous because it's bigger than your side's effort?

Are we 'rubbing your noses in it'?

Only two days and 13.5 hours until the party starts.
So anyone going to rope down and pop it on the actual cliff?

Err well Tarquin was going to but he has cello practice and our token black who I hoped to dangle down got stabbed about a discussion about something called 'crack', (they are so enriching aren't they?), so maybe just leave it here for now?

I'm still trying to work out how Remain didn't achieve BRINO at the very least. To be where we are today required them to take every wrong option they were offered, every time, without exception. On a binary multiple choice basis, even the most basic life-form on the planet would have achieved BRINO as a minimum outcome.
I quoted orwell yesterday.... In a sense, the future was owned by our ruling class. What I mean, is they're had certainity and were confident, that we would be in a union, that was growing ever closer. It really is a fantastically rigged game. So when you ask, why no BRINO ? and the answer is BL/Gazpachos blessed Parliament.

Parliament who has spent far too many years being lobbied and influenced to the extent, our MPs are incapable of following a course of action in opposition to those lobbyists.... As almost all lobbysists be they're Media, charity, business or whatever were likely remainers to a man/woman, the echo chamber created was such, that any compromise seemed ridiculous and even a brino was simply unacceptable.

I'm still trying to work out how Remain didn't achieve BRINO at the very least. To be where we are today required them to take every wrong option they were offered, every time, without exception. On a binary multiple choice basis, even the most basic life-form on the planet would have achieved BRINO as a minimum outcome.
I think they (the remainer's) tried pretty much everything, less having daily executions of Leavers families on College Green until such time as they agreed to reverse Article 50

I'll wager it was mentioned somewhere in a We're better Together meeting

Latest Threads