Brexit Endgame

And back to the topic in hand.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/27/low-skilled-migrants-restricted-time-limited-job-offers-shortage/

Sensible on several grounds.
  1. Anyone earning below £27K takes more out of the benefit system than they do on taxes. Stopping the bulk of the minimum wage immigrants coming in reduces the pressure on our benefits system
  2. Allowing low skilled workers in for limited times only stops (for example) farms suffering labour shortages when there is veg or fruit picking going on.
  3. Reducing the flow of low cost labour will force countries to focus on automation - which is the only way to compete on the world stage in the future. Automation cuts out labour costs - which makes the UK competitive against low wage cost economies again. If done right, this should bring manufacturing back onshore again.
I just hope the legislation includes automatic deportation for overstaying the visa. Immigrants should be required to give their fingerprints and a DNA sample on entry - this should facilitate identifying who's overstayed and should be deported. They should also be required to state their country of origin on the application form - with the proviso that's the country they'll be deported to if they overstay their visa.

Wordsmith.
Rebalancing our economy, restoring value to a british worker is right up their for rebuilding some social cohesion.

I still don't know why the Big Ben thing was going to cost £500,000?
The tower is in the middle of building work, and the bell is currently out of commission. To recommission the bell system and ring the bell will have an impact on the project time line and incur addition costs.

Friday night, from 22.00, BBC have Wall to Wall pan UK And EUtopia coverage of Brexmageddon.

like the election coverage, I suspect it’s going to be comedy gold.

Friday night, from 22.00, BBC have Wall to Wall pan UK And EUtopia coverage of Brexmageddon.

For me the date is meaningless. Its nice, like your last working day before a holiday. But what comes after is more important and the entire point of brexit..... Remainers, seem to highly resent a hard date, because they're perceive the restarting of what they're believe to be a doomsday clock. In reality, the intelligent ones understand brexit is not doomsday, just the ending of another political cycle and into a new cycle which is less predictable and that makes the young/old remainers a mite terrified of change.

It's already been explained to you, stop trolling eh?
It has?

Bercow did not recall Parliament; its as simple as that.

Not trolling in the slightest, just making a correction.

For me the date is meaningless. Its nice, like your last working day before a holiday. But what comes after is more important and the entire point of brexit..... Remainers, seem to highly resent a hard date, because they're perceive the restarting of what they're believe to be a doomsday clock. In reality, the intelligent ones understand brexit is not doomsday, just the ending of another political cycle and into a new cycle which is less predictable and that makes the young/old remainers a mite terrified of change.
This is what I really do not understand.
The landlady of a pub I was attending a motorcycle rally 20 months ago brought in the Sunday paper for us to read after breakfast with the words, 'if you can bear to read about Trump and Brexit'.
She was almost in tears. I said nothing but both are merely political changes. Neither is going to kill large numbers of people. Both will be history in a decade. The fear, even if both turn out bad, is ridiculous.

But why?
Are they expecting the promised WWIII to start immediately? Or, as I suspect will be the case, most people will go to sleep before hand, and get up the next day with not a change in their lives. This sort of reaction really is in the same vein as the love EU mat and the sound Big ben lot.

I do, however, look forward to every Friday night piss up punch up being blamed on BREXIT.

The landlady of a pub I was attending a motorcycle rally 20 months ago brought in the Sunday paper for us to read after breakfast with the words, 'if you can bear to read about Trump and Brexit'.
She was almost in tears. I said nothing but both are merely political changes. Neither is going to kill large numbers of people. Both will be history in a decade. The fear, even if both turn out bad, is ridiculous.
you can be sure the Beeb will roll on hysterical blubbering Remainers for is to laugh at.
they may even have Tig!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
You'll note that the EU is beloved of people on the left/centre left of the political spectrum. That's because the UK is adopting EU rules, which tend to conform to a left/centre left mindset.

What they've totally ignored s the steady marginalisation of the EU in terms of world trade - and haven't made the connection between more legislation/more regulation --> less share of world trade.

All they can see is their beloved rules and regulation being rolled back by a Tory government while remaining oblivious to the parallel export of jobs they've been causing.

Wordsmith

You'll note that the EU is beloved of people on the left/centre left of the political spectrum. That's because the UK is adopting EU rules, which tend to conform to a left/centre left mindset.

What they've totally ignored s the steady marginalisation of the EU in terms of world trade - and haven't made the connection between more legislation/more regulation --> less share of world trade.

All they can see is their beloved rules and regulation being rolled back by a Tory government while remaining oblivious to the parallel export of jobs they've been causing.

Wordsmith
I think it is more serious but more simple than that.
As with fundamental god botherers they are living on faith, not reality.
I myself come out as left of centre and between centre and liberal on the political compass, but I can understand reality.
All the Remainiacs can talk about is the hell on earth we can expect. And like various Armagedon types when it doesn't happen they will simply come up with a new date.

Control the future, you control the past(rewriting history) and present(law/media).... Those who want to build a progressive utopia, are deeply uncomfortable with the idea that the lumpen-proletariat have any say in the future and have being on belt-fed fear mongering to try and shift public opinion.

Those who live in terror; are exactly the sort, who are pliable and fuel all the troubles in europe, these past centuries.

Actingunpaid

Clanker
Just had some lovely South African 'Wonky' grapes from Aldi.Even nicer than the Californian grapes last week.Looking forward to more American produce,like the lovely burgers we used to get at the Graders clubs,even if they are chlorinated!:eek::grin::grin:

Control the future, you control the past(rewriting history) and present(law/media).... Those who want to build a progressive utopia, are deeply uncomfortable with the idea that the lumpen-proletariat have any say in the future and have being on belt-fed fear mongering to try and shift public opinion.

Those who live in terror; are exactly the sort, who are pliable and fuel all the troubles in europe, these past centuries.
That is the theory, Brexit, Trump and the GE on 12 Dec 2019 showed that reality and facts can triumph.
An important thing to remember about 1984 was that Eric Blair was very ill when he finished it. He had intended a much more up beat ending, or so he claimed afterwards.

That is the theory, Brexit, Trump and the GE on 12 Dec 2019 showed that reality and facts can triumph.
An important thing to remember about 1984 was that Eric Blair was very ill when he finished it. He had intended a much more up beat ending, or so he claimed afterwards.
BL is always referencing reality and clearly believes that the system hasn't changed and we will be forced by circumstances, back onto the pre-defined path by our leaders... The trouble with his view, is the long progressive cycle is coming to an endpoint and the collective leadership is breaking down across the world and in that chaos, his reality itself is already in the past.

Farage on C4 News last night broadly suggested the conservative party saw the writing on the wall and accepted reality had shifted and they're had to shift with it, or face extinction.

Not in the slightest.

One was to celebrate the end of a war that saw some 450000 UK deaths, and around ten million being killed each year around the world.

It saw the overthrow of a vile regime that slaughtered those they didn't like in death camps.

The entire Nation was focused on a war of survival.

If you think that Brexit really is as big a deal as VE Day, fair enough.
……..and that was just Saddam Hussain :mrgreen:

Latest Threads