Brexit Endgame

Our Home Secretary on Sky News at the moment.

I am madly in love with the woman, no doubt about it.

The little minx........

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Watch BoJo jump on this.

With the subtext to the EU: "If you don't give us a FTA, watch your £66 billion trade surplus with the UK disappear as your goods are progressively replaced by US ones".

If BoJo makes rapid progress with a US FTA, it'll put pressure on the EU to stop playing silly b*ggers about a trade deal.

Here's the share of world trade for the top countries

https://www.investopedia.com/insights/worlds-top-economies/

View attachment 445849

The US as a market is a bigger market than the entire EU, and there are plenty of other large non-EU economies out there like China, Japan and India.

The EU's main advantage is that it's on our doorstep, but given it's steadily shrinking share of world trade, our future lies in being outward facing and starting to trade with the rest of the world - a much more vibrant economy.

Wordsmith
Yes, but let's not cut off our nose etc. The EU are a PITA but they are a close, large and established market. The point to make to them is they are the ones who have to start working on the partnership. Up until now it has all been "UK are leaving do it is up to them to come to us". That has changed and this fact needs to be driven home while still holding on to our markets in the EU.

Yes, but let's not cut off our nose etc. The EU are a PITA but they are a close, large and established market. The point to make to them is they are the ones who have to start working on the partnership. Up until now it has all been "UK are leaving do it is up to them to come to us". That has changed and this fact needs to be driven home while still holding on to our markets in the EU.
F*ck 'em.

they've got all the time in the world to come to us.

only 11 months to sort out a trade agreement, but it's not like it can't be sorted last that date.

And that reflects the EU's unspoken fear of Brexit.
  1. The UK chops tax, regulation and import duties while signing trade deals with the rest of the word.
  2. The UK's growth rate significantly outstrips that of the EU.
  3. Many of the EU's member states demand lower tax, regulation and import duties so they can grow faster as well.
  4. Lower tax, regulation and import duties = less EU = end of dreams of a United States of Europe.
Wordsmith
Far more importantly the fact that Germany has hosted a meeting about the ME with Putin in the lead, (not France mind) is a far more powerful indicator that Germany remaining in the conceptual EU in the long term Is questionable. Yes Johnno and Macron were there but it speaks to the end of the Sykes Picot consensus in the ME. The underlying fact that Russia now supplies a lot of Europe’s energy means that Europe’s security is fatally flawed.

I heard rumours of the white cliffs of Dover to be vandalised with a 'we love the EU' banner. Appears the crowd funding came short & a large blanket has appeared.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
1580028618598.png

1580028818339.png

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
You forgot that to maintain the dogma and bureaucracy of the USE and punish the UK for leaving they are prepared to destroy trade, jobs and industry.

Bit like your local council leader Sturgeon. Education, hospitals, bin collections, bridges, Calmac all destitute while she swans around pretending she has a mandate for Indy, trade deals, and road signs in a language no one speaks.

Thus ensuring the nation becomes a disaster and she can blame Westminster. Forgetting the havoc caused to people along the way.

For both of them, dogma is more important than sense or caring about citizens.

You forgot that to maintain the dogma and bureaucracy of the USE and punish the UK for leaving they are prepared to destroy trade, jobs and industry.

Bit like your local council leader Sturgeon. Education, hospitals, bin collections, bridges, Calmac all destitute while she swans around pretending she has a mandate for Indy, trade deals, and road signs in a language no one speaks.

Thus ensuring the nation becomes a disaster and she can blame Westminster. Forgetting the havoc caused to people along the way.

For both of them, dogma is more important than sense or caring about citizens.
I'd imagine both the Scottish county council and Westminster fear the day it goes guys up in Scotland. If Westminster reveals the scale of funding, per person, and it's clearly explained, the English will kick off.

Talking of Lidl and Aldi

some EUrowhiners claim Brexit will be the end of them in Britain.

when did the USA, China and Australia where they also have stores join the EU?

Charles Michel calls special summit on EU budget
Any postponement would create serious practical and political problems and jeopardise the continuation of current programs and policies as well as the launch of new ones," he said, noting that "all sides will need to demonstrate a spirit of compromise. I count on your support in this respect."

Indeed

1. I am certain that some Countries will be more than happy to up their contributions :D

2. I am also certain that some Countries will be more than happy to see their bribes aid cut. :D

3. Most Countries will also be happy to see Veto's being replaced by QMV to keep the bribes aid flowing :D

4. And lets not forget the big one. The size of the EU Budget, as it appears that the biggest contributor is not too happy with the EU's proposal.

Talking of Lidl and Aldi

when did the USA, China and Australia where they also have stores join the EU?
Aldi can be a different Aldi.

The brothers Aldi fell out over selling fags in the shop. So there is Aldi nord and Aldi sud. I can't remember which one is in America.

Indeed

1. I am certain that some Countries will be more than happy to up their contributions :D

2. I am also certain that some Countries will be more than happy to see their bribes aid cut. :D

3. Most Countries will also be happy to see Veto's being replaced by QMV to keep the bribes aid flowing :D

4. And lets not forget the big one. The size of the EU Budget, as it appears that the biggest contributor is not too happy with the EU's proposal.
Solidarity brother, solidarity.

Talking of Lidl and Aldi

This Aldi ?

German discount supermarket group Aldi plans to pump 1 billion pounds into Britain, chasing market share at the expense of profit, which dropped by 26% last year as it pursued sales growth, store openings and new customers.

I heard rumours of the white cliffs of Dover to be vandalised with a 'we love the EU' banner. Appears the crowd funding came short & a large blanket has appeared.

Pathetic!

ETA: not you @beemer007, the action in your Twitter link!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

They could have spent it on something useful.

Perhaps they could go one stage further and reenact the final scene from Quadrophenia ? Throw the Union Jack and themselves off the cliffs ?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Indeed

Lights go out, walls come tumbling down!

Thanks, Paul Weller.

philc

LE
Good article here, sums up my views towards to EU very well.

At the age of 20, in June of 1975, I became one of the young people who voted to confirm our membership of the European Union. In 2016, my generation voted to bring us back out. Why did we change our minds? There are several reasons, but the main one is simply our loss of sovereignty. I was personally comfortable with “sharing sovereignty”. The European states were democratic, I felt there was common cause between us, we had a shared interest in an enduring peace between us, and nationalism seemed an unmitigated evil, especially when combined with an ideology. My own comfort gradually disappeared as it became clearer that our lives were increasingly being shaped by officials whom we had not elected. We had joined the “Common Market” and been told that it was all about free trade, which always sounds like a good thing.

Good article here, sums up my views towards to EU very well.

At the age of 20, in June of 1975, I became one of the young people who voted to confirm our membership of the European Union. In 2016, my generation voted to bring us back out. Why did we change our minds? There are several reasons, but the main one is simply our loss of sovereignty. I was personally comfortable with “sharing sovereignty”. The European states were democratic, I felt there was common cause between us, we had a shared interest in an enduring peace between us, and nationalism seemed an unmitigated evil, especially when combined with an ideology. My own comfort gradually disappeared as it became clearer that our lives were increasingly being shaped by officials whom we had not elected. We had joined the “Common Market” and been told that it was all about free trade, which always sounds like a good thing.
Not read the article (paywall/sunscription) but I have to point out that when we voted (I was 18 ) we voted for the common market, a trade block. I voted for that, I have NEVER voted for the EU.

Latest Threads