Brexit Endgame

JPMorgan Chase buys new Paris building for post-Brexit move....we didn't see that coming?

Sterling falls after Javid comments stoke hard Brexit fears...wonder why?

31st January to be marked as a Mongs day holiday...lasting for a very long time during which soup kitchens will be opened as food banks run out. Excellent.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
lasting for a very long time during which soup kitchens will be opened as food banks run out. Excellent.
Excellent news indeed, certainly for Brother BL, a never ending stream of employment opportunities.

JPMorgan Chase buys new Paris building for post-Brexit move....we didn't see that coming?
Probably because you do not see very much from the confines of your padded cell.

London will still be number one”, and would continue to be the regional hub for trading activities not denominated in euros, he said. JPMorgan has about 10,000 people based in London and 260 employees in Paris, with the new building in the French capital creating capacity for an extra 450. It also has roughly 500 people in Frankfurt and 450 in Luxembourg.

Nothing like a bit of perspective.

ETA

@Joker62 beat me to it

So desperate are the EU, that they are now plotting punishments and sanctions.....

Brussels plans to impose fines or even suspend trade benefits if the U.K. does not comply with the terms of a planned post-Brexit deal, the European Commission said Monday.

......On a Trade Deal that they are not in a position to start discussing until the end of February at the earliest.

Smell ----- The ------ Fear

Do you think that it's a good possibilty they have been given the wink that a trade deal with the USA is imminent? More bad news for the remoaners then.
I doubt it; probably something to do with the perceived outcome of the next Defence Review.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

So desperate are the EU, that they are now plotting punishments and sanctions.....

......On a Trade Deal that they are not in a position to start discussing until the end of February at the earliest.

Smell ----- The ------ Fear

So how exactly do the EU think they are going to impose fines on the UK?

I wonnder how the French and German car manufacturers feel about sanctions?

‘Today’ programme, 2mins ago, Facebook creating 1,000 jobs in the UK.
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :) :)

Perhaps this ;);)

She said that while Facebook’s enthusiasm for London was undimmed, like other tech companies it wanted certainty about Brexit.

“The Johnson government has been very clear about what that looks like, and so we will continue to invest here in London,” she said.

As head of Facebook’s media ops, Clegg’s face when he approved the press release and COO’s speech, must have been an absolute picture: chewing on wasps covered in lemon juice is the image that comes to mind. :)

31st January to be marked as a Mongs day holiday...lasting for a very long time during which soup kitchens will be opened as food banks run out. Excellent.
images.jpeg

No. 'Analysis Ends' is as far as you got. Should have been clearer.

I describe myself as a reluctant remainer. I voted to remain in the Referendum as presented but would have preferred some sort of preparatory excercise to formulate the 'question' first. Rate these options to choose the form of brexit you would support most, that sort of thing. ISTR having discussed that with Halo Jones somewhere, perhaps in this thead.

As for the outcome? Kipling advises that the two impostors triumph and disaster should be treated just the same and that is the lens that I have been viewing developments through.
Ah yes.
The "We didn't know what we were voting for" trope and "We didn't have enough information to make such a fundamental choice". I recall that discourse being the order of the day, first in 1973/75 and later at the two radically subversive treaties; Maastricht and Lisbon. My, how we enjoyed our preparatory exercises in signing away our sovereignty and political independence.
Just because you were woefully ignorant of European poolitics, don't assume all of us were.
Kipling wrote fiction.
Happy to help.

Last edited:

1.JPG

Still this will cheer you up

More than 1,000 EU financial services companies plan to open UK offices after Brexit in a bid to continue serving customers in Britain.

An influx of companies opening offices, hiring staff and renting office space could help to mitigate the economic blow dealt to the City by British institutions moving some of their assets and operations to European financial centres such as Paris and Frankfurt.

A total of 1,441 EU companies had applied to the Financial Conduct Authority by October 2019 for temporary permission to continue operating in the UK after Brexit, according to figures obtained by consultancy Bovill under a freedom of information request.

Toppet

War Hero
View attachment 444969

Still this will cheer you up

More than 1,000 EU financial services companies plan to open UK offices after Brexit in a bid to continue serving customers in Britain.

An influx of companies opening offices, hiring staff and renting office space could help to mitigate the economic blow dealt to the City by British institutions moving some of their assets and operations to European financial centres such as Paris and Frankfurt.

A total of 1,441 EU companies had applied to the Financial Conduct Authority by October 2019 for temporary permission to continue operating in the UK after Brexit, according to figures obtained by consultancy Bovill under a freedom of information request.
Whole thread about it below. It's to maintain the status quo, not new investment in any significant manner.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

Out of curiosity, when did you get day release from whatever psychiatric institution you reside in?

Wordsmith

Unemployment decreased by 7,000 to 1.31M.
Source BBC
&

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It was noticeable that the one party promising to 'get Brexit done' was returned with a massive majority in the last GE. Which I suspect was the 'man on the Clapham omnibus' giving yet another two fingered salute to the Establishment.

Wordsmith
What is the establishment ? its an amorphous mass of received wisdom. Who use experts to collate, measure, quantify and especially guard the truth, as understood by the well connected.. Like any received wisdom, the facts change all the time and science in particular, is built around an accepted narrative that requires a very brave soul to challenge.

The people live a far less certain and assured life, than those inside the establishment. I find it terribly interesting the dichotomy, between the received narrative and its absolutes/laws, which are essentially artificial and nothing like as right as some maintain.

Your omnibus man is simply a reflection of the growing sense that all is not well and the narrative being spun is less and less about democracy and more and more authoritarian on anything but social excess.

TBF, I know a few remain gentlemen who aren't anything other than ordinary run of the mill blokes who have a different viewpoint. They don't wish doom on anyone or accuse them of being fascists etc. They believe Brexit is not a good move. They accept the vote went the way it did and hope we'll make the best of what they see as a bad job, and thats fair enough. For my part I hope everyone prospers. The whole idea of getting out was for a better deal for the whole of the UK, and that includes remainers. The nicest way of proving a point is if Brexit works in their favour as well. No one can complain if they end up being quids in.

Latest Threads