Brexit Endgame

1579473347521.png

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The FT might want to add itself to it's list of those to blame for gifting us a genuine Brexit as opposed to brino.

Yep - as I've posted before, Britain has snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.
  • The EU could have offered meaningful concessions to Call Me Dave and the referendum might have been lost as a result.
  • The EU might have offered May a deal palatable to the Remain majority in parliament
  • The Remain opposition might have realised that voting May's appalling deal through would have kept us subservient to he EU forever
  • The Remain majority in the Tory party could have blocked BoJo as leader.
Instead we got BoJo as PM - who delivered a thumping majority and is now delivering a Brexit that could well prove to be the EU's worst nightmare.

BoJo clearly has no interest in remaining in the single market and indeed sees trade with the rest of the world as more important to Britain's long term future than trade with the EU. He's intending to cut tax and regulation below EU levels to gain competitive advantage and the if EU squeals about that, they might just find BoJo signing trade deals with the US, Canada et al that'll see the EU progressively frozen out of UK markets. And there's nothing the EU can do to stop that.

Worse, should the UK show steadily higher growth rates than the EU average - as I suspect it will in a year or two's time - other EU states will want to follow the same path. Which is the death knell for a United States of Europe. And which leaves the EU with the half finished fuster cluck of the single currency and no way of getting the treaty change required to address its well known problems.

Well might the EU curse BoJo. Yet their treatment of the UK is one of the primary reasons BoJo is in number 10 now. Whom the Gods wish to destroy, etc, etc.

Wordsmith

Not long now eh...

Plans to stop following European Union rules after Brexit are "deeply flawed", the Welsh Government has said...hell yeah!

Mr Javid said the UK would not be a "rule-taker" ….Well except that Britain will be taking it up the rear from anyone with a loaf for sale.

Megan and Harry voted to leave...and guess what?

Tyk

LE
Not long now eh...

Plans to stop following European Union rules after Brexit are "deeply flawed", the Welsh Government has said...hell yeah!

Mr Javid said the UK would not be a "rule-taker" ….Well except that Britain will be taking it up the rear from anyone with a loaf for sale.

Having worked for Welsh Government for 18 months on a major project a few years back I can say that post full Brexit they've precious little to actually do as a very significant proportion of their work is distributing EU grants to Welsh farmers.
Welsh Government is pretty much an irrelevance now and even more so without the EU.

Well put @Wordsmith in post #3,284.

Complete DIVORCE!’ Brexiteers agree with Javid that UK should leave EVERY EU institution
VOTERS have sided with Brexiteer and Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid who demanded the UK leave every single EU institution after Brexit on January 31.
[ Yes that's what the vote of the referendum was for back in 2016. We all know the leave campaign made this very clear. ]
Read more.
VOTERS have sided with Brexiteer and Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid who demanded the UK leave every single EU institution after Brexit on January 31.

EXPRESS.CO.UK

‘Complete DIVORCE!’ Brexiteers agree with Javid that UK should leave EVERY EU institution
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1230250/brexit-news-latest-poll-eu-institution-sajid-javid-boris-johnson?fbclid=IwAR0HOMVQOn3fV82_nY87zow1r01jCInDjgVdhVdyL14eCjCfW2Se2xJyy4g

Yep - as I've posted before, Britain has snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.
  • The EU could have offered meaningful concessions to Call Me Dave and the referendum might have been lost as a result.
  • The EU might have offered May a deal palatable to the Remain majority in parliament
  • The Remain opposition might have realised that voting May's appalling deal through would have kept us subservient to he EU forever
  • The Remain majority in the Tory party could have blocked BoJo as leader.
Instead we got BoJo as PM - who delivered a thumping majority and is now delivering a Brexit that could well prove to be the EU's worst nightmare.

BoJo clearly has no interest in remaining in the single market and indeed sees trade with the rest of the world as more important to Britain's long term future than trade with the EU. He's intending to cut tax and regulation below EU levels to gain competitive advantage and the if EU squeals about that, they might just find BoJo signing trade deals with the US, Canada et al that'll see the EU progressively frozen out of UK markets. And there's nothing the EU can do to stop that.

Worse, should the UK show steadily higher growth rates than the EU average - as I suspect it will in a year or two's time - other EU states will want to follow the same path. Which is the death knell for a United States of Europe. And which leaves the EU with the half finished fuster cluck of the single currency and no way of getting the treaty change required to address its well known problems.

Well might the EU curse BoJo. Yet their treatment of the UK is one of the primary reasons BoJo is in number 10 now. Whom the Gods wish to destroy, etc, etc.

Wordsmith
Yet Nicola and her SNP chums are still crying ‘Freedom!’ whilst at the same time wishing to stay in the club. Bizarre.

Who?

The only person who's unaware is you...

Let's have some PhD level thunking out of you before you start hefting your ashtray and mad HTML skills.

I can do that, and I actually have the books.

Anyone want them in PDF format, PM me an email address.

F3EE1B2B-3DEE-4239-89C1-04E1792B40BB.jpeg
1DBF5A64-1E32-4B8F-87D3-DDAC1EF2965D.jpeg
47A14107-8D0C-4B40-840B-6679FE97D8D0.jpeg

:D :D :D

The government is facing fresh calls to issue EU citizens with a physical document to prove they have the right to stay in the country after Brexit.

A report found nine out of 10 EU citizens in the UK would prefer a card over the digital evidence they have now to demonstrate their rights in future to employers, banks or landlords.

Like an ID card you mean :D:D

Sorry, the liberal PC Brigade, the Yuman Rites Brigade and another load of complete belters put the kibosh on that one.

The EU backs the UK after Brexit

A thousand EU financial firms plan to open UK offices after Brexit. Is this not good news for the remoaners?

://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-banks/a-thousand-eu-financial-firms-plan-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit-idUKKBN1ZJ00L?fbclid=IwAR3glMyHRP4LEsEEo-hm5rZ--Pdw2NHYDpl3JjaNOK-Axu7rTS21txMnSo4
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-banks/a-thousand-eu-financial-firms-plan-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit-idUKKBN1ZJ00L?fbclid=IwAR3glMyHRP4LEsEEo-hm5rZ--Pdw2NHYDpl3JjaNOK-Axu7rTS21txMnSo4

In case this hasn't been posted yet, remoaner meltdown incoming...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In case this hasn't been posted yet, remoaner meltdown incoming...

Looks like a clear case of assault and damage to property.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
EU still not getting it.

A deepening fault line is emerging between the UK and European Union over how far Britain must continue to follow some EU rules after Brexit in return for a basic free-trade agreement (FTA), officials preparing for the coming Brexit negotiations have warned. Key EU members states, including France and the Netherlands are “digging in” on the vexed question of the so-called “level playing field” to ensure fair competition which the EU has said is a prerequisite for a trade deal.
I don't think BoJo wants close alignment with EU rules, because that would preclude making the changes required to make us more competitive against the rest of the world - a market six times bigger than the EU.

In addition, the EU is going to be faced with the prospect of the US, Canada and so on signing trade deals with the UK and the EU being gradually displaced from the UK market. Given that we run a trade surplus with the rest of the world and a trade deficit with the EU, I doubt BoJo will be particularly worried about losing a degree of access to the EU market.

Wordsmith

So will the EU ban all the American fast food chains that increasingly dominate EUtopian palates?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Looks like the EU is starting to realise that they will have to align with UK rules and standards if they want to trade with us.

M Bernier is looking more and more isolated and not as full of bluster now his bluff has been called.

Not long now eh...

Brexit day plans are announced as Sajid Javid warns of the negative impact on some businesses as the UK diverges from EU rules.

An epic understatement... As we lapse into exploding kettles, cardboard wheels, toxic air fresheners, sawdust in bread and rely upon the African stolen bicycle industry for trade. Who needs rules anyway...? If the French don't like our straw filled mattresses and 500 volt shavers they can go to hell. If the krauts refuse to accept whitworth bolts and cast iron pistons why should we care? We can't afford their cars anyway!

Yes the penny is ready to drop.
Ahhhh those good old EU standards. We will miss them.

Every diesel VW that drives past belching fumes, I will think “thank god for EU standards”.

And when French drug makers keep selling drugs that kill thousands I will thank the EU for those standards.

Thats the same French that “systematically and persistently” ignored air pollution levels....

Need I go on?

I am not going to insult you, although God knows I am tempted, but FFS think before you post, and do your research.

mrdude

War Hero
I am not going to insult you, although God knows I am tempted, but FFS think before you post, and do your research.
HB won't do any research - unless it's anti UK. He's a blindsided remonger. We can have as many trade deals as we want, thrive as a nation, make our own standards (again) & he'll still think of something to bitch about.
It's pointless even reading this fools posts - that's why the mong is going on my 'ignore' list this week.

Latest Threads