Brexit Endgame

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
With a significant majority behind them, our current government are now in a key position to finally see this process through.

So far, all eyes are on the 31st January 2020 as the next significant date whereby pro-leavers believe we'll be out and pro-remain are sceptical, suggesting negotiations will "take years".

With just over a month to go, where do you think Boris and his team will succeed? And what do you believe could trip them up in these closing stages, potentially casting further doubt in the minds of the already sceptical?

On the suggestion by @Auld-Yin we shall now close the majority of "what if" threads. By all means if you feel any of the ones I have locked deserve further discussion, send me a PM and we'll see if it has merit.

As someone who has personally had enough of 3½ years of leave/remain same old same old, I cannot help but feel it's time to lay those deep-rooted differences to one side at long last, put aside my own personal loathing for this time of year and wish you all a very merry Christmas and Happy New year (you c***s) and hope somehow by this time next year we'll all be in a much more prospective place, the Pound will be worth about 6 Euros / 4 Dollars, and we'll be spending at least two months of the year holidaying in Spain getting smashed on muchas cerveza with our loose change.

Over to you.

Take a high hand with the Bastards in Brussels and make clear that no-deal is definitely back on the menu.
There will be a surprising number of people across Europe cheering him on you know.

Boris has a deal, which he can presumably now get through the commons from the last round. If he thinks he can get a better one in the next couple of months he might give it a go but I suspect he'll just get us out as promised on time. He can then start negotiating a) the long term deal with the EU and b) deals with other countries. As some of b) develop the EU will find the pressure not to try and be too 'our rules must apply' will increase and we'll probably get a decent EU arrangement that will mean the NI border is a none issue.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Another Brexit thread. I'm going to open my veins.

morsk

LE
Sh!t or get off the pot. Im just getting bored with the whole thing, which is the whole point isn't it.....

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
With a significant majority behind them, our current government are now in a key position to finally see this process through.

So far, all eyes are on the 31st January 2020 as the next significant date whereby pro-leavers believe we'll be out and pro-remain are sceptical, suggesting negotiations will "take years".

With just over a month to go, where do you think Boris and his team will succeed? And what do you believe could trip them up in these closing stages, potentially casting further doubt in the minds of the the already sceptical?

On the suggestion by @Auld-Yin we shall now close the majority of "what if" threads. By all means if you feel any of the ones I have locked deserve further discussion, send me a PM and we'll see if it has merit.

As someone who has personally had enough of 3½ years of leave/remain same old same old, I cannot help but feel it's time to lay those deep routed differences to one side at long last, put aside my own personal loathing for this time of year and wish you all a very merry Christmas and Happy New year (you c***s) and hope somehow by this time next year we'll all be in a much more prospective place, the Pound will be worth about 6 Euros / 4 Dollars, and we'll be spending at least two months of the year holidaying in Spain getting smashed on muchas cerveza with our loose change.

Over to you.
There are a few certainties to be guided by:

1. Short of a Guy Fawkes event, Boris has the Parliamentary support to do whatever he wants to within reason and previously pro-Remain elements of the elite, particularly the media, now have to face the fact that Thursday's result shot their fox and dismantled their arguments.
2. The EU does not want a highly competitive UK on its doorstep but neither can it afford an indefinite stand-off, particularly with economic conditions as they are, so there is impetus to do a deal.
3. Johnson cannot afford to be credibly accused of a sell-out so he's not likely to roll over.
4. The EU no longer has the advantages in terms of a compliant UK team that it's enjoyed in the negotiations to date.
5. Remainers attempting to wage further lawfare will discover quite how sovereign Parliament is

It seems a long time ago but Juncker originally offered a Canada Plus deal - I still think that any final agreement will be in that part of the map. The uselessness of the UK Government encouraged Brussels to fish in troubled waters; now that problem's been addressed, I expect the usual rational calculations to drive the policy of both sides and a compromise to be agreed on that basis.

I suspect that fishing rights will be one of the most contentious issues, largely because they're totemic, they're key to EU members and they're key to Boris retaining his new North Sea constituencies.

Not required or even expected in any Army scenario I can think of.
If you totally agree, just do it.
It was a heartfelt plea for Boris to do it, army type person, not a request that you should say please.

Does anyone know what the divorce bill stands at.
I have some spare loose change at the mo (Dollars)

morsk

LE
Another Brexit thread. I'm going to open my veins.
You wouldnt know that this was a site for soldiers. Today 7 of the first 10 threads were farkeeng politics based threads. Some people need to either remember that they were soldiers and man up a bit, or realise that they are weak, noodle armed unattractive to women small cokked civilians and sling their collective hook. I would rather just have a forum where the remaining 27 of us just called the other 26 a sprog/mong/cock on repeat than have to deal with these weaklings/walts/colonials. And your mum dresses you funny @Sixty

Latest Threads