Brewing up

Irrespective of the committed alcoholics on this forum and the filthy perverts who 'only drink coffee', what is your tea of choice?

For years, I was suckered into the 'convenience' of teabags, but a couple of years back I decided to give loose leaf a try after a very long hiatus.

What a revelation! It really is so much better.

If you're just making a brew for yourself, there's no need to go through the entire Japanese tea ceremony. You can get these little gadgets on Amazon that enable the making of one cup at a time. Just as convenient as teabags but an overwhelmingly better result. Brewing in a pot is better yet.

Supermarket shelves aren't exactly bowing in the middle with the varieties of loose leaf tea, but there are usually two or three. I think the type I go for mostly is some kind of breakfast tea, which makes the cup of gunfire I most like. I have occasional forays into the kinky section; Lapsang Souchong and Earl Grey are a nice change. I'll have to go further afield than supermarkets to broaden the scope, I think.

I most recently tried Darjeeling. Subtle is not the word. The coarse strands indicated to me that it might be quite a robust brew. How wrong I was. No matter how long I let it infuse, I just ended up with something very weak and insipid. Is it supposed to be like that? I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I just gave up with it in the end and tipped it in the caddy with something more to my taste.

Anyone else giving teabags a miss?

Irrespective of the committed alcoholics on this forum and the filthy perverts who 'only drink coffee', what is your tea of choice?

For years, I was suckered into the 'convenience' of teabags, but a couple of years back I decided to give loose leaf a try after a very long hiatus.

What a revelation! It really is so much better.

If you're just making a brew for yourself, there's no need to go through the entire Japanese tea ceremony. You can get these little gadgets on Amazon that enable the making of one cup at a time. Just as convenient as teabags but an overwhelmingly better result. Brewing in a pot is better yet.

Supermarket shelves aren't exactly bowing in the middle with the varieties of loose leaf tea, but there are usually two or three. I think the type I go for mostly is some kind of breakfast tea, which makes the cup of gunfire I most like. I have occasional forays into the kinky section; Lapsang Souchong and Earl Grey are a nice change. I'll have to go further afield than supermarkets to broaden the scope, I think.

I most recently tried Darjeeling. Subtle is not the word. The coarse strands indicated to me that it might be quite a robust brew. How wrong I was. No matter how long I let it infuse, I just ended up with something very weak and insipid. Is it supposed to be like that? I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I just gave up with it in the end and tipped it in the caddy with something more to my taste.

Anyone else giving teabags a miss?

Absolutely - loose leaf all the way !

Take a rich, malty tea ( eg Assam will do ) and mix it 2 parts to 1 part of loose Earl Gray.
My Gran taught me that when I was about 6.

Starts the day perfectly.

Absolutely - loose leaf all the way !

Take a rich, malty tea ( eg Assam will do ) and mix it 2 parts to 1 part of loose Earl Gray.
My Gran taught me that when I was about 6.

Starts the day perfectly.
Coffee.
Black, no sugar, in a very large mug.

None of this poncey mixing of leaves and straining etc...

Straining is what you do on the bog.

RedDinger

War Hero
Builder's Tea Tea by Make Mine a Builders — Steepster

I'm currently drinking this, and am prepared to fight any of you coffee drinking gayers after I've had a brew.

I can only drink tea I make myself as no-one makes it strong enough for my liking. Marks and Spencer strong teabags is my current choice. But there is a Northern Ireland brand, Barry's that is quite good too.

There is a thing for British regional tea because of the local water supply is either soft or hard and it has an effect on the tea flavour.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I find 'brewing up' to be a slightly distasteful term

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Tetleys. or Yorkshire.

Another thing about loose leaf v. tea bag.

If you take , for example, a Twinings tea bag of Earl Gray , tear it open and then compare the contents with the same stuff - but sold as loose leaf - you will immediately see a distinct difference.

This reflects in a flavour difference.