"Brew, Sir?"

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by SCoy, Jan 9, 2007.

?
  1. Milk second

67.3%
  2. Milk first

32.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I've always prided myself on my tea-making abilities, they being handed down to me from father to son in time-honoured fashion. However, my faith in the world has been shattered by an increasingly frequent contact with heretics.

These unbelievers tell me that it is wrong to place the milk in the cup first.

I disagree in two counts:

1) I read in a paper aggges ago that scientists have proved that milk in first is better.

2) I can better judge the correct amount of milk

As the British Army consumes 23% of the worlds tea supply, I would be interested to know your views...

2. I read somewhere, something about putting the milk in with the teabag whilst you are boiling the water, lets the milk get slightly warmer due to a room-temperature mug, thus is less likely to get "Scalded" by hot water.
    I make a great cuppa, thank you very much.
    Also, fcuk the enviromentalists, its freshly boiled water everytime.

Add: Milk judging is a skill learnt through experience, you should be able to pour the right amount, everytime. Without fail.

3. MIF is the way forward, but of course this is only applicable if you're using a teapot.

Putting the milk in the cup together with the teabag is soooo wrong!

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

This is how civil wars start.

5. If you listened to the news this morning you will have heard that putting milk in your tea at all negates the beneficial effect that (black) tea can have on your vascular system. Therefore perhaps black tea only should be advocated, thus negated the need for this line of questioning?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6241139.stm

Alternatively, we could all grow up to be adult and make our own decisions about how we like our tea!

6. Yes, the American one started after three people agreed on something aswell!

7. You bleedin eathens! Tea is an infusion, as such, the leaves need to be steeped in water as hot as possible. Adding milk too early prevents the tea from exuding its full flavour.
    Scalding is not an issue with tea, only with coffee which is a decoction.

8. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Tea should be made with boiling hot water to allow the leaves release the flavour and colour. By adding the milk first your reducing the temp of the water thus the quality of the tea. However if you are making coffee, milk can go in first as butting boiling hot water onto the bean with scald the bean and reduce flavour. So to sum up milk last for tea and firts for coffee.

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Use good tea and forget the milk

10. Fcuk me, Bouillabaisse was right!
    Do what i have just done next time you have to make a brew, try both ways, and realise that MIF is the way forward!

11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Less of your perverted sex life, how was the tea?

12. So to avoid scalding, put the milk in first WHILST boiling the water, multi-tasking here, so it reaches room temp, the same as the cup. Meanwhile, use a teapot to release the tea and let it brew before adding to the milk...

13. Milk in first came about because fine bone china tea cups would crack if boiling tea from a pot was poured straight in, and i agree tea is an infusion so out of a pot is best!
    Thats what my mum told me and im sticking with it!

troop

14. Seconded!

15. I have just made 2 wets , first one MIF and the next is MIS.MIF is slightly hotter.However force of habit will ensure i will always have MIS.