Bren Drum mags

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by syledis, Mar 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watching a documentary about the Bruneval raid in WW2 and there was a clip of a bunch of guys sitting with brens, but rather than the normal magazines , they were loading rounds into huge drum mags.

I thought they were only used on vehicle mounts and the like. Were they on general issue ?

2. Off the top of my head they were used for sustained AA fire and stuff like that. The National Army Museum has/had a diorama of a tripod mounted Bren in just that role. I think the drums held 100 rounds.

Edit, I also recall that a wooden ammo box is in the same display, there is a label on the box giving a description of the ammo drums. Just to clarify, it is a life size diorama with genuine artefacts.

3. Cheers, they looked huge!

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yep , thats them

6. Was it the Paras you were looking at or the pick up vessels afterwards - I seem to recall they were picked up by MTB and they would probably have pedestal mounted Brens?

7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Possible, but I believe MTB and MGBs were normally armed with Vickers "K" Guns which were often fitted with Drum Mags

• Like Like x 1
  8. From the god that is Youtube

• Like Like x 1
  9. In the clip they were sitting at a table, Brens visible and lots of drums and rounds everywhere

10. As stated, primarily used in the AA role commonly to be found with a Motley Mount, which has been pictured above also.

Stonking piece of kit to have a go with, I know a collector who has twin Brens, mounted with drum mags. I recall seeing some at the War and Peace show down in Kent three years ago too.

[​IMG]

source: Motley Mount AA MG

11. Reminds me of the Lewis gun from comic books of old! Nice bit of kit mind!

12. curvy mags as they were 303 rim. drum dial sight was normal till I think 44 issue. Bruno Enfield.