• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Bren Drum mags

S

syledis

Just watching a documentary about the Bruneval raid in WW2 and there was a clip of a bunch of guys sitting with brens, but rather than the normal magazines , they were loading rounds into huge drum mags.

I thought they were only used on vehicle mounts and the like. Were they on general issue ?

Off the top of my head they were used for sustained AA fire and stuff like that. The National Army Museum has/had a diorama of a tripod mounted Bren in just that role. I think the drums held 100 rounds.

Edit, I also recall that a wooden ammo box is in the same display, there is a label on the box giving a description of the ammo drums. Just to clarify, it is a life size diorama with genuine artefacts.

Was it the Paras you were looking at or the pick up vessels afterwards - I seem to recall they were picked up by MTB and they would probably have pedestal mounted Brens?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Was it the Paras you were looking at or the pick up vessels afterwards - I seem to recall they were picked up by MTB and they would probably have pedestal mounted Brens?
Possible, but I believe MTB and MGBs were normally armed with Vickers "K" Guns which were often fitted with Drum Mags

S

syledis

In the clip they were sitting at a table, Brens visible and lots of drums and rounds everywhere

As stated, primarily used in the AA role commonly to be found with a Motley Mount, which has been pictured above also.

Stonking piece of kit to have a go with, I know a collector who has twin Brens, mounted with drum mags. I recall seeing some at the War and Peace show down in Kent three years ago too.

source: Motley Mount AA MG

When I was a young Pup back in 68, being taught by two OLD Cpls ex Guards Armoured Div, in WW II, they told us that in Malaya during the emergency they had their vehicle mounted Brens fitted with 100 Rd Drum mags that where still on issue for light AA role.

john
Very good vid was not aware that an adapter was needed.

Brilliant! I didn't even know they had a conversion kit! Did they think to do a LMG 7.62 kit? Makes more sense now when I was on my AAAD course when I heard "With a burst of 1 to 200 rounds, at your target in front, carry on". (had a GPMG at the time).

Latest Threads