Breech Seal

Having read the CR2 thread it left me with a couple of questions.
Chieftain's gun sealing was done by closely machined steel rings in the breech mech.

How was this sealing achieved in CR1 and CR2? Steel rings again or something different?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
This points at a PDF looking at the Castlemartin accident. Describes CR2 obturation, apparently related to the accident.

Url deleted.

Knowing the keyword "obturation" helps.

:)

Edit. No it doesn't. The url gets mangled. Search for CR2 obturation.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Interestingly, further down the Google search I found this

Written by a former 4RTR Lt Col who worked at HQDRAC, Bovington on the Chieftain Replacement Programme. It alleges that HQDRAC decided that the Chieftain replacement ought to be
  1. Leo2
  2. Abrams
  3. CR2
I wonder how many MBT members on Arrse feel about that.

Having read the CR2 thread it left me with a couple of questions.
Chieftain's gun sealing was done by closely machined steel rings in the breech mech.

How was this sealing achieved in CR1 and CR2? Steel rings again or something different?
Crude description of the BVA is it's a bung, which when the breech is closed goes into the breech preventing a "back flash" into the turret.

@AlienFTM is correct about the Castle Martin incident, the back flash and subsequent devastating fire in the turret was among other things as a result of the BVA not being fitted.
1594674753091.png

There was no single factor that caused the Castlemartin incident, there were a number of errors. In my best technical opinion these include:

Error in Drill
Error of Drill
Equipment Failure - Design.

Lives pointlessly lost and changed forever. I hope they aren’t wasted by doing nothing to rectify these issues.

There was no single factor that caused the Castlemartin incident, there were a number of errors. In my best technical opinion these include:

Error in Drill
Error of Drill
Equipment Failure - Design.

Lives pointlessly lost and changed forever. I hope they aren’t wasted by doing nothing to rectify these issues.
Agreed, which is why I said "among other things"

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
we used to have to live fire our AVRE by remote control because of the vent axia problems. Dont know how they coped in the gulf when they had to go to a real war .

So obturation is done by the pad that expands under pressure to seal the breech. Similar pads were known as Croxley pads but tended to be used on screw closing breeches such as the 5.5" artillery gun.

PS: I was going to use "Obturation" but having typed it it didn't look right and I really didn't want to look a pratt (Or more so than usual) with a wrong spelling.

Thanks for the information.

Latest Threads