Brecon - best boots (any brand)

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by theta, Feb 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys - I am planning on doing some fell running and tabbing on the hills in prep for Cambrian this year.

I need to buy a pair of decent hill boots (normally cut around in Altberg Sneeker MkII, zero ankle support).

I have been looking at issued Lowa Goretex, Scarpa and German Army Mountain Boots (Meindl?)

Any suggestions would be great - just want the best possible boot for Brecon. Suggest best boot by brand, not reasons why other brands are shit - everybody has diff feet so want to get a wide range based on actual personal use, I can then try a few pairs and see what works for me.

2. Anything, that's issued. If it's good enough for war, it's good enough for jollying - and they're free!

3. Use the search function type in something like 'Boots'

4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

When creeping up on sheep you will require something light. I favour footwear by the French manufacturer Philippe Philoppe.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Alt Berg warrior mk 2

6. Hanwags, cost a little but worth it. Lowa's weigh a bit.

7. TheIronDuke

As a retired vicar I know little of military matters so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 'Tabbing'. "Tactical Advance to Battle", yes? Don't tell me Llywelyn Ein Llyw Olaf has kicked off again?

8. Are saying the Welsh are revolting?

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheIronDuke

Yours is the Barbour and the red scarf, yes?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Taxi here already? Mother, time to go deary.

11. Thanks - I was considering the Lowa issued (coldweather boots)

I will also look at the Hanwags (know where I can get a set for £30), they look pretty decent with plenty of ankle support. I'm sold on Altberg already so will have a look at the Warriors when I get a chance.

Does anybody know where I can get Lowa Elite black? They are the desert elite but for general wear...

12. TheIronDuke

Tough one. Google is only showing 1,410,000 results for Lowa Elite black.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I've found Altberg Warriors to be fine on both hills and 10 milers

14. Its not hard you fuckin mongtard

15. You may find all the above all wrong for fell running. Tabbing yes but for running, get yourself some running shoes!