Brecon Becons

Me and 2 other lads of here are wanting to go to the beacons can anyone help with a Kit list etc?

yer take a camper van the weather there is s*** at this time of the year, then sit in the White Hart in front of the fire and make up stories to tell on your return

map
compass
GPS (spare batteries)
waterproofs
warm kit
daysack
good boots
scoff (simple carbs)
fluids
mobile phone

Too much kit and you won't find it enjoyable unless you're fit. The above will suffice for a days walk. As for routes; get a map and work one out which is within your comfort zone!

If you do the Van go from the south it's a much better rout up to the Cribin gap, you can park at nuedd or go along the ridge from torpantddu which is the rout the sas do in selection but the Cribi n is the easest

BE affeard be very affeard, on average 7 people die on the becon every year

tropper66 said:
BE affeard be very affeard, on average 7 people die on the becon
Whats affeard We will be carefull i might be getting a Ex-Para to come a long and he faught in the Falklands so im sure he can help us with Tabbing!

tropper66 said:
If you do the Van go from the south it's a much better rout up to the Cribin gap, you can park at nuedd or go along the ridge from torpantddu which is the rout the sas do in selection but the Cribi n is the easest
I'm sure Neuadd is to the NE of the Fan.

nuedd is a resovior to the SE of the van, you walk up a roman road to the cribe gap then the path contours the crib up to the trig point on the van , it is a better rout than goinu from storey arms, not as steep, for old gits like me

From the atrocious spelling on here, I am a bit concerned as to the age and preparedness of the group intending to go...

I run an adventure business in the Beacons, and would be happy to give you some free advice on interesting places to see ... but really I need to know how fit you are, how old and experienced you are, how long you are in the Beacons and what you want to get from your experiences

Onfire

Taken from www.hobo-backpackers.com done it myself and it's well worth it ..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pen Y Fan

Map: OS Explorer OL12
Start Point: Car park at GR SO 042 163
Distance:15K
Height gain: 450+mtrs
Time: 4 - 5 Hours

There are many routes up to the highest point in south Wales, Pen Y Fan. The most popular starts and returns at Story Arms, takes approx 2 hours to the top.
This walk I know as the "Horse Shoe", due to the shape of the route. It takes in all three of the highest peaks of the Beacons, Cribyn, Corn Ddu & Pen Y Fan and is a more challenging walk some groups have taken 10 hours to complete this route! But usually I'd allow 4 - 5 hours
Navigation is simple, (so long as you have visibility) as the route follows the ridge-lines on well defined paths. It starts with a steep scramble to the first ridge most height is gained on this first accent, then a gradual climb to Corn Du, a slight decent and climb to Pen Y Fan. Then what seems to be a big drop with even bigger climb to Cribyn, keep reminding your self that Crybin is not as high as Pen Y Fan.

Start Point : Car park at GR SO 042 163 From CP cross bridge, then take first forestry track on right. Follow track towards dam, take track bearing left up stiff scramble to top of ridge, then follow ridge line right to Corn Du, continue onto Pen Y Fan, if you can't face the climb to Cribin the track down bears off to the right around and rejoins on the other side.

Cross fence onto track known as the" Gap" as it passes between the highest peaks of the Beacons, follow this track right for approx 2.75K to the start point.

Im 58 and have been wandering the becons since childhood, I have a supper little site I use at so067130 been using since Iwas in scouts,

tropper66 said:
Im 58 and have been wandering the beacons since childhood,
Bollox! How do you account for the fact that you're currently connected to the internet if you've been wandering around the beacons for the last half century! Surely you've been home at some stage?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ernie The Intelligence Cell 12
Sleeper_service The Intelligence Cell 35
T Army Reserve 29