Brecon Beacons weather

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Phillthegreek, Feb 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Strange first post I know

But can anyone give me any local weather gen for this weekend

1) Is there much snow on the hills?

2) Whats visibillity like?

3) I know it has is own weather system, but just wanted to know what its looking like for this weekend

2. Yeah I have looked on there, last time I went by MET visibilltiy was supposed to be V Good, got down there and it was like 4m at 250m
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

from looking out of my window -

The upper levels (tops of Sugar Loaf, Blorenge etc) have snow, probably a good few inches still. It is currently raining so this might reduce but wouldn't bet on it. The general weather is pretty murky today, fog this morning with drizzle, doesn't look like it will change much in the next day or so.

Saying that last weekend was a great one for walking even with the cr*p weather we had the week before.

If you want an update Friday send me a PM.

4. Goto Brecon Beacons website it gives a better forecast and info on snow cover,
  5. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best! Same with all Welsh mountains. :D
  6. Cheers for that guys, I will drop PM
  7. There is a storm system building to the SW. It is forecast to move NE through the Bay of Biscay and into the English Channel by Sunday.

Select the pressure tab and click on "Run"

Saturday might be reasonable but Sunday will be wet and windy. The Beacons will be awful IMHO.

8. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Just as an update - just got home and it looks like we had more rain than I thought. The majority of the hills are clear of snow now, some left on the north faces or sheltered spots. Still grey, cold and damp though...typical Beacons.

9. Can we have an AAR?

It appears that the storm hit France quite badly but southern England escaped quite lightly.

10. Hang on, do people even bother trying to forecast the weather out there? It's well known the weather is activated by a pressure pad in the cattle grids.
  11. wet wet wetter wettest rain raining
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nah, not at all. There was that first post by MDN where he offered me a shot at his sister if I could remember the pet-name he gave that sheep.

I tried my best, but he had spiked my drink with Rohypnol, the cunt.

Good luck with the weather in Wales. Let us know how it works out. Maybe do a Blog, yah?
  13. Just take your wareproofs/windproofs/suncream/bacon banjo's/mobile and 3(THREE)other's to amble up,jacob's ladder is a walkover!.

And be safe!.