breathing through my arrse!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by johnboy1990, Apr 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just started running again after 3 weeks because everytime I ran I got like a splint in my calf.
    I started running did about 2 mile and was breathing through my arrse. Should I push to get back to my normal standard or take it easy and work up, even though i have 6 weeks left till basic?
  2. Hmm.

Two miles isn't necessarily bad. I'm up to five miles now with one week to go before basic. Remember they build you up to the 8 mile run and there is the option of remedial PT and a fcuking good beasting as well in basic which will get you up to standard pretty quick.

Out of interest how long are you running this 2 miles in, if you know?
  3. roughly 14-13 minutes...
  4. Always time yourself, that along with distance run is a good way of measuring your improvement.

Go slowly at first and pick up the pace as your endurance picks up. You need to play endurance off against speed. Running quickly is what might be shutting you down as your endurance is not yet up there. Remember that while you might be able to run the 1.5 miles in 7 minutes, you can't run 8 miles at the same pace.

Also, learn to control and regulate your breathing. Getting your breathing right is key to endurance and avoiding the dreaded stitch. And find a pace and settle on it, it helps with the rhythm.

Finally about 40 minutes before you go, drink a pint of water. If your body has plenty of water to work with you won't get that horrible breathing effect when your running like your breathing through slime.

My fitness is utter shite but using the above tips (And a bit of fartlek running) I've managed to get my distance from 2.5 to 5 miles though the pace still isn't good yet (40 minutes for 5 miles).
  5. Can you manage 5 miles without stopping, s.a?
  6. Yes. Don't stop if you can avoid it. It not only wrecks your breathing, pace and rhythm but I'm sure when you get to basic stopping during the runs will earn you a few choice words from the PTI.
  7. Heh, I guess I still have a lot of work to do... can do about 1.5-2 miles without stopping, then I usually slow down a bit :roll:
    Getting better though.
  8. Don't worry about it, just do what you can. It also helps if you use something like google earth to map out your runs and measure the distance so as soon as you get to fixed points you know how far you have run so your not guessing.
  9. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot :eek:
  10. I haven't been on a run for a long time, quit smoking after 4 years of it.

Did a 2.5mile run in 30mins....

Thats bad huh?
  11. I wouldn't say that was too bad after a long period of no running and also the fact that you were a smoker?
    Keep at it fella.
  12. I think my breathing is wrong, i dont know what the best way to breath whilst running.

I can only run about 0.5 mile without stopping.

Well im going out again today to try again:D

One day on, one day off, is the best way ive heard.
  13. Breathe from the pit of your stomach. If you're raising your shoulders significantly when running, you're wasting energy ;)

Apart from that, breath steadily and try not to gasp!
    Soldier.a is the one to ask on these things though :eek:
  14. which part of the army are all you guys joining?
  15. I'm going for the RAC.