Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by vampireuk, Sep 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems some people have decided they are going to bring a breathalyzer into the unit and insist people submit to random testing before they leave the barracks, anybody who refuses goes in front of the CO. What is the legal stance on this, I was under the impression that only the police had the authority to force somebody to use a breathalyzer.
  2. If you don't drink and drive, what's the problem? Unless they intend to breathalyse people walking out out of the barracks. That would be wrong. :wink:
  3. Why should somebody submit to something they are not legally bound to do? :wink:
  4. Would it be much of a problem if it was??
  5. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Unless it,s a police officer or customs officer, it,s not legal and if it,s random testing a warning must be given, by the employer.
  6. If you've done nothing wrong etc. etc.....
  7. This is another example of Officers doing what they want however this is a deterrent and if it stops some muppet going out and killing someone good.

The breathalyzer in itself would not conform to PACE. You can refuse to have it done, but to stop it getting that far just blow.

Legality has to be proven, and as far as I can remember the MO is the only person on camp that can directly call you drunk and not fit for duty.

Army officers can do what they want,
  8. I don't drink and I still object to having to take a test if they are not legally allowed to administer it.

9. Talk about paranoia!! You'll be saying that ID cards are a bad idea next!!
  10. Not sure if it still stands, but a service policeperson used to be able to diagnose drunkenness by breath, actions, gait and speech.
  11. Anyone can diagnose whether a person is drunk or not, but the person deemed drunk can only be charged if he's been breathalysed or had a blood test and been found to be positive.
  12. HI DF,

Yes someone who was extremely dehydrated or suffering from a hypo has speech problems gait actions and sometimes you get a the smell of pear drops on there breath.

Normally the RMP will get a duty MO in straight away, part of the big umbrella.

As for non trained personnel operating breathalyzer equipment and getting it wrong and letting a driver go that is a whole different scenario.
  13. Didnt get the chance to read your reply, I stand corrected cheers for for straightening that one

14. I remember that to drive out of Barker Barracks in Paderborn you had to sign out of the camp after 1900 (this is late 2008). By signing you were also stating that you had not been drinking. The Gd Rm Sgt also had a breathalyser on hand (not a police spec) which he could ask you to blow into if he felt that you had been drinking. Refusal to do so meant that the RMP/GCP were called. Any spikes on his machine also meant that Plod were called.

It was basically a deterrent. I have no idea how much of a deterrent it was, or how long the programme lasted.
  15. Without wishing to be a pedant, someone suffering from a hypo will not have a pear-drop (or ketone) smell on their breath; that would be a hyper