Breathalysers, Alchohol meters - any ideas.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by BuggerAll, Apr 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

An impending trip to France means I must get a breathalyser kit for the car. There are plenty of Frog friendly ones on offer on fleabay and Amazon but I wondered about buying a reusable electro gadget.

Has anyone any experience of these things?

I don't knowingly drink drive and I won't have anything at all if I'm on the bike but like anyone there is the occasional morning after when one wonders...

2. No Idea - but whatever you take it has to conform to what french laws insist you carry and dont forget the Hi-Vis jacket and triangle too

3. Halfords sell them.

4. You can get them on the ferry. Having said that, it's not an on the spot fine to not have one, so you can just carry on and ignore it. I've never been asked to show one, and I don't know of anyone who has

5. I also understand that you must always have one in the car so if one is used you could be done for not having a spare to continue your journey. Got a pack of five from Amazon as I wanted to try it out.

This was taken from the AA website today:

"Breathalysers in France
    1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation was to be enforced from 1 November 2012 (later postponed to 1 March 2013) and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested was to receive an on-the-spot fine of €11.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months."