Breaking the Oath!

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by SKJOLD, Sep 24, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

2. Although I do believe that there were at the most approx only 30 Brits that reneged on their oath to the King and wore the Enemy Uniform as their own?

There were larger numbers of Norwegians, Danes, Dutch, Belgians, French etc was there not :?
  3. The Indian Army never came across as a Bright Lot. You have thought they learned from the mutainy.
    As I have said before I am no fan of Jonny Gurhka, but I beleive no Gurhka ever betrayed his oath of alegiance.
  4. It was no secret that Indian POWs defected to the Nazis in WW2 and that almost 100,000 Indian POWs defected to the Japanese. None of them formed an effective fighting force.

Denigrating Indian soldiers who kept their oath (see jonwilly's post) is unfair to say the least. The majority of Slim's 14th Army in the Burma campaign were Indians and acquitted themselves extremely well in that horrific theatre, just ask any old British soldier who served in the Arakan, Ngakyedaul Pass, Imphal, Kohima or with the Chindits etc. Also the 4th,,8th and 10th Indian Divisions who fought so well in North Africa and Italy. Unlike the British Army of WW2, the millions of Indian soldiers who served in the British Indian Army were ALL volunteers compulsory service was not necessary.

Visit any Indian Army Regiment which has its origins in the old British Indian Army and you will witness the intense pride they have in their history and the Battle Honours they share with their British counterparts not to mention the remarkable similarity they have to the British Army.

I much prefer to remember the millions of Indian soldiers who remained true to their oath.
  5. Nice one, Busterdog. The Burma veterans I know and knew spoke well and affectionately of their Indian Army comrades. Gurkhas were of course part of the Indian Army. Hopefully any Burma veteran who sees these posts will see the funny side - its the Forgotten Army syndrome all over again! :roll:
  6. My brother frequently visits India and Nepal. In India he visited a Commonwealth war cemetery. Acres and acres of British, Indian and Gurkha soldiers who died and were buried side by side.

For our future, they gave their today

As an aside, the cemetery was tended by an exGurkha SNCO who served in WW2, now in his late 70s. My Brother asked who visted the Cemetery (it was miles from anywhere). 'British, Indians, Nepalese, Germans, French, everyone' the Gurkha replied. 'What about the Japanese?' my brother asked him. His answer was simple and stark: 'If Japanese come here, I tell them "f*ck off"!'
  7. Ironic.
  8. And the spelling of Gurkha 8)
  9. ...and it isn't here, either. Muppet.
  10. Well that was a crap line. Fair enough though, you're wrong but I'm not going to waste posts bickering.
  11. I believe Chickenpunk may be a bit of an expert on the Brits who enlisted in the Friekorps.

George MacDonald Fraser wrote in 'Quartered Safe Out Here' that the Indians who fought with the Japs (JIFs) would surrender to British troops but not to Indian troops as they knew what to expect. Interestingly in 1948 the Indian Govt awarded pensions to the JIFs but not to those who fought in the Indian Army.
  12. I was always give to understand that it was considered the hight of ignorance to pick folks up for spelling on the net.
    Yes i could spell check and give you the US version of English but i adopted an alternative system.
    All my posts are done in Engrish, ya know what Bill spoke, thats Shakey Bill back in the days before formal spelling and composition.
    PS you should hear my accent.
    PPS oh and when folks ask do you speak thai I answer No I have been trying to learn english all my life so why give myself another andicap. :D
  13. i knew about the Britisher Frei Korps for quite a few years , there was a documentry about them on TV not so long ago as well ,the quality of the recruits were doubtful and most of them only joined up to get out of POW camp, get pissed and shag birds, didnt do them any good as some were hanged for treason and other received jail terms. imagine telling your grandchildren when they ask "what did you do in the war grandad?". not something to admit that you had fought against your own country.
    i bet some of them made up stories and brought British medals to back up their story/lies.

also during the WW2 the french foreign legion was split into 2, one supporting the Vichy Govt and the other supporting De Gaulle, not technically treason but confusing enough ! and they were the only regiment of a any worth in the french army as they were made up mostly of non-french soldiers