Breaking the iHabit

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I am considering defecting from iPhone. I think I may have to keep the iPod and iPad (unless something as good can be shown to me very, very soon). But what about the music I have purchased on iTunes. Is there any way to get that onto (for example) a Galaxy S3? And all the gadgets that connect to the iPhone (stereo, docks, car stereo etc)? Can they be converted or are there equivalent items? Is there a real alternative to the iPad that does things as well?

I am considering defecting from iPhone. I think I may have to keep the iPod and iPad (unless something as good can be shown to me very, very soon). But what about the music I have purchased on iTunes. Is there any way to get that onto (for example) a Galaxy S3? And all the gadgets that connect to the iPhone (stereo, docks, car stereo etc)? Can they be converted or are there equivalent items? Is there a real alternative to the iPad that does things as well?
As far as I am aware, any device with a USB adaptor that is "Designed for iOS" will only see your phone as an external drive, and many (all that I've seen/paid attention to) don't bother with that, they go for the full on control option. Anything that just has the aPple connector will be a paperweight.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
SO probably keep the iPod as my main music storage and playing device, ditch the iPhone for a Galaxy S3; but what about the iPad? Are there any real alternatives?

SO probably keep the iPod as my main music storage and playing device, ditch the iPhone for a Galaxy S3; but what about the iPad? Are there any real alternatives?
A laptop.

First of all congratulations. I believe that step one involves admitting you have a problem! Fortunately there is a higher power that can help you out and it's name is Google......

You can still use iTunes and sync it with Android devices. I do it with my phone and tablet all the time. There are loads of solutions in the play store to allow this.

If you want to replace your iPad then I'd strongly recommend the nexus 7. You might worry about the reduction in size from an iPad but the portability and weight difference more than compensate in my opinion. Plus it is much, much cheaper.

I'd also ditch the iPod in favour of putting your music on your phone.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It depends what you want. I like the iPad for doing a bit of browsing,reading news etc if I'm kept waiting somewhere as it wakes up so fast, and also being able to browse iTunes on the MacPro and "throwing" it onto the AppleTV to watch on the telly (sequence shortened). I don't think anything else wakes as fast, and not sure about the Apple Remote part

Use Doug's AppleScripts to export the music in whatever format you want. Then import it into your new device using whatever means they use.
I'm looking to get rid of my iphone in December for a Galaxy Note 2. And I want to be able to convert my itunes onto the Galaxy.
Having looked at that site and admittedly being a techno biff, I couldn't understand any of it.
What am I missing? Other than a brain.

Q

quick-morser

I have an ipod which is fine - no need for change.
I inherited my wifes iphone 3GS when she upgraded - and gave it to someone else
I have to use an ipad for the single app developed for my work (not on other gadgets) and its poor.

They say to make it easier to use we should use a bluetooth keyboard - that would be like a laptop then but without a mouse.
£329 spunked away on overhyped crap IMO.

AppleScript allows you to script the actions of OSX apps. iTunes being one of them, but most apps support it. If you have a large iTunes library, then being able to script the actions you may take on it is very useful.

That site pulls a lot of scripts together. I used it to get the music from my iTunes into the MyGig radio in my truck, which has a built-in HD.
Honestly, that was just genuine frontier gibberish to me.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
AppleScript allows you to script the actions of OSX apps. iTunes being one of them, but most apps support it. If you have a large iTunes library, then being able to script the actions you may take on it is very useful.

That site pulls a lot of scripts together. I used it to get the music from my iTunes into the MyGig radio in my truck, which has a built-in HD.
Honestly, that was just genuine frontier gibberish to me.

Ditto. One of the reasons I've become an iAddict, is that they're nice and simple. I don't understand anything that you've written there. I recognise most of the words, but what the actual sentences mean is beyond me. I don't want to learn a new language to use a device.

Send key setting, over.

Legs you require something like Enjoy your Music, Video, Radio & iTunes on Android - doubleTwist It will sync your itunes to any android device and it is free unless you want to sync wirelessly. I believe most phones now have software to do this but as I have recently unfucked what itunes did to my music collection I just drag and drop now so can't comment on the in built software.

With regards to linking it in with other stuff haven't Apple just screwed everyone over anyway by releasing a new docking connection?

Personal opinion is that once you get into that Apple iOS eco system, there isn't any viable alternative that is as effortless at doing what it says it does. The synchronisation between iOS devices is what sets Apple apart in my opinion, as has been demonstrated above, if you like things simple Apple leads the field. I have an iPod classic (simply for it's storage capacity) that is mounted onto a Denon RCD - N7 stereo, an iPhone, iPad and have just ordered an Apple TV.

For a perfect example of the seamless sync between everything, I can use my iPhone to remotely power up my stereo, then use the Denon remote app to control my iPod classic that is mounted on the dock of the stereo, or any of the other stereo inputs, alternatively should it please me I can stream iTunes, Spotify, YouTube etc. etc. from my iPhone straight to the stereo, all without ever actually entering the room the stereo is in / any physical interaction with it. I personally love that flexibility and the ease with which it is set up, I also have an iPad and have just ordered an Apple TV (which allegedly can be jailbroken and stream near enough any TV show / movie you may ever desire). I do however run a Windows PC, but other than that I'm a fully fledged Apple whore for the reasons above, don't leave iPhone, you will regret it, I have had an HTC Android phone and I loathed the thing.

just ordered an Apple TV (which allegedly can be jailbroken and stream near enough any TV show / movie you may ever desire).
It does, extremely well. Things aren't quite as simple as using the native interface, but for the extended function it's neither a surprise not problem

The other good thing (on the AppleTV2 at least) is that if jailbroken, it can be restored to unjailbroken if needed

Apple are really very good at telling people no other product can do what their products do, that's essentially all I learn from people who buy Apple products.

Apple are really very good at telling people no other product can do what their products do, that's essentially all I learn from people who buy Apple products.
I've been a certified Windows and Unix/Linux "engineer" for years, and using Macs for a fair while, so like to think I'm fairly unbiased

Mac devices look very pretty, and talk to each other very well. They are far too expensive