Breaking News - Some details of Cabinet Troughing Expenses

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bobthedog, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Should embarrass them all nicely. Not just our esteemed Cabinet including Himself, who may have been at it with Plumbing expenses, or not. And "It is reporting that Gordon Brown's brother, Andrew, received £6,577 over 26 months for cleaning services. " BBC News.

The paper says Jack Straw used his expenses to claim back the entire council tax on his second home despite already having a 50% discount on it. Nice work, on the Westminster Gravy Train, if you can get it. Outrage Bus to POL Point :x

2. Can't I just toss a couple of grenades into the centre during PM's questions...?

3. I like the idea that the boiler needed replacing because the water was too hot! What a twonk, and £3000 for a new boiler? He's having a laugh!

4. Sadly BtD this won't be a Labour thing, they're all at it. This is bringing the whole institution of Parliament into disrepute, it can't even be laid at Gordons door as they only decided to do something about it when they got found out.

5. Show me a politician who's not at it. Voting the Tories or lib-Dems in instead won't stop our glorious representatives bleeding us dry.

We need to lance the whole pus-filled boil that is Westminster not just slap on a different make-up to hide the zit.

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'Mr Brown has also had to explain apparent discrepancies in his expenses claims, which will be revealed by the Telegraph tomorrow.'

I bet he's going to love that, the miserable one eyed git.

'Paul Murphy, the Welsh Secretary, splashed out more than £3,000 on a new hot water system for his second home, explaining in a letter to the parliamentary fees office that his water was too hot.'

erm - run a bit of cold in your bath you robbing cnut?

7. "Among other reported revelations is that Ms (Hazel) Blears claimed for expenditure on three different properties during the period including a hotel where she stayed after selling a Manchester home.

A spokesman for Ms Blears said she had done nothing wrong and the furnishings she had bought were "reasonable".

"Hazel is honest as the day is long," he said. Fine, if you live in Alaska and your Spokesman isn't Rab C Nesbitt.

8. Nice to see that Hazel Blears was able to claim £5,000 for new furniture for the third home that she claimed on in one year.

I do love the idea of dear Hazel doing the whole soft furnishing, white goods and all of the other essentials.

You're right CQMS - damaging all round.

9. I am being rather think no doubt so can someone please explain this too me ... as why would he need to pay too share cleaners?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8039108.stm

10. Only if you allow me to be the stop group. And provide a Jimpy. :twisted:

11. Wheres Guy Fawkes when you need him?

12. More to the point, where's Cromwell when we need him?! :x

13. You know, i'd like a new sofa and big TV, i'll put that though my work expenses... i'm sure the boss won't mind. Actually, its at least a 5 minute drive to work... i'll get them to buy me a second home and furnish that too. If things don't work out i'll sell it and keep the profits... even though the boss is paying...

... Planet Westminster must be great.

14. I particularly liked this part of the BBC report:

"The paper also says Gordon Brown claimed for the same plumbing work twice at his constituency home in successive quarters.
    However, No 10 said the Parliamentary Fees Office accepted this was done inadvertently and had written to Mr Brown to apologise for not spotting the mistake."

Contrast this with this report a few months ago:

"Lieutenant-General Sir David Richards, who takes over as chief of the general staff in August, expressed his concern that servicemen were pilfering and abusing the Army's joint personnel administration (JPA).
    Introduced last year, the JPA system allows expenses to be claimed by soldiers via computer, which are checked randomly.
    In a document published on The Sunday Times website Sir David wrote: "I am becoming concerned over the prevalence of fraudulent behaviour as well as what I can at best describe as 'sharp practice' and at worst dishonesty.
    He added: "There are soldiers and even some officers who view JPA as a 'cash machine' and are processing fraudulent claims in the belief that if caught they will claim ignorance and hope to refund the monies with no further action."

So the lesson is don't just claim ignorance but demand an apology from SPVA for failing to spot your inadvertent mistake and you will probably get away with it. Unless of course there is one rule for MPs and another for the rest of us!