Breaking news - Shootings in Alabama

Just spotted it on the BBC website news ticker, only real info i can find is from the local tv station wtvynews4:

wtvynews4 said:
Early reports indicate between 5 and 8 people have been shot to death in Geneva County after a gunman went on a killing spree. Details are hard to come by at this time.

A suspect opened fire in several Wiregrass cities as he fled from authorities. News 4 report says that at a house the shooter killed several members of his family.

Our reporter also saw at least one truck that had been rear ended with bullet holes in it on Highway 27. The young man driving that truck was killed.

One was veteran law enforcement Frankie Kindsey, he was shot in arm. Another law enforcement officer’s wife and child were shot to death.

At this time there are reports of 7 people fatally shot.

There were several vehicles shot on Highway 52 between Samson and Geneva. Law enforcement has taped off several of those vehicles.

Law enforcement from both Alabama and Florida are there. They do not have an identity on the gunman yet.

Another one of our reporters spoke with a woman who works at reliable products, that's where today's scene ended.

According to this caller she and other co-workers were crouched in the corner of buildings, trying to protect themselves.

The gunman burst through the back door of the business… that’s when he was killed.

Now the caller says she couldn't tell if the gunman was shot by law enforcement, or if he took his own life.

No workers were injured at reliable products.

ilovegrapes said:
why is it always people in america?
It isn't. Happens all over. When they can't get hold of firearms they use something else. Remember the guy in NI who made a flamethrower?
The Jap nutters made bloody Sarin FFS!

Pacifist_Jihadist said:
Just spotted it on the BBC website news ticker, only real info i can find is from the local tv station wtvynews4:

wtvynews4 said:
Early reports indicate between 5 and 8 people have been shot to death in Geneva County after a gunman went on a killing spree. Details are hard to come by at this time.

A suspect opened fire in several Wiregrass cities as he fled from authorities. News 4 report says that at a house the shooter killed several members of his family.

Our reporter also saw at least one truck that had been rear ended with bullet holes in it on Highway 27. The young man driving that truck was killed.

One was veteran law enforcement Frankie Kindsey, he was shot in arm. Another law enforcement officer’s wife and child were shot to death.

At this time there are reports of 7 people fatally shot.

There were several vehicles shot on Highway 52 between Samson and Geneva. Law enforcement has taped off several of those vehicles.

Law enforcement from both Alabama and Florida are there. They do not have an identity on the gunman yet.

Another one of our reporters spoke with a woman who works at reliable products, that's where today's scene ended.

According to this caller she and other co-workers were crouched in the corner of buildings, trying to protect themselves.

The gunman burst through the back door of the business… that’s when he was killed.

Now the caller says she couldn't tell if the gunman was shot by law enforcement, or if he took his own life.

No workers were injured at reliable products.
Whichever bellsprout wrote that article needs a revision on their English language skills.

ilovegrapes said:
parapauk said:
ilovegrapes said:
I'd thinking vast numbers of guns and no mental health or social support network, but what do I know? :roll:
I know loads of fucked up people with guns. so far no one has been killed, shot yes, killed no.
are things like that quite common in the criminal world you inhabit?

Pacifist_Jihadist said:
SmithsRail said:
Whichever bellsprout wrote that article needs a revision on their English language skills.
They are colonists who invented a bastardised version of the Queens English and from Alabama top it off, are you that shocked? :wink:
Come to think of it, no.

parapauk said:
ilovegrapes said:
I'd thinking vast numbers of guns and no mental health or social support network, but what do I know? :roll:
Wrong. It's just nutters they use whatever's to hand. In Austria - an axe - five dead:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1954696/Austria-Man-confesses-to-axe-killing-spree.html
South Africa, nine dead - axe:
http://www.dispatch.co.za/article.aspx?id=296807
One dead and partially eaten in Canada - knife:
http://www.mashget.com/top-stories/2009/03/03/man-accused-of-beheading-on-bus-pleads-not-guilty/
Two dead, three injured. Alaska, Machete.
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?s=9509024
Northern Ireland, three injured. Flamethrower.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19950620/ai_n13989598
One dead five wounded. Knife. England.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/mar/09/ismail-dogan-inquiry
(Of course the murderer wasn't to blame, the care system killed the victims... :roll: )

i can see this thread ending up as another polerised spam basher.
the arrse team yankee will be all logging on soon, watch it all devolve into another 2nd admendment type bun fight.

Aunty Stella said:
I hope Gator was delivering his KKK pamphlets in Alabama at the time and get a reality check through the chest.
class. :)

10 Dead now, including the Shooter.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/south_alabama_shootings

SAMSON, Ala. – A gunman went on a shooting spree in two neighboring south Alabama towns Tuesday, killing nine people before he shot himself at a metals plant, authorities said. Police are investigating at least four separate shootings, all believed to be done by one gunman, whose name was not released, the Alabama Department of Safety said in a statement.

The shootings began late in the afternoon in Samson. The shooter killed five people in one home and one each in two other homes.

The gunman also shot at a state trooper's car, striking the vehicle seven times and wounding the trooper with broken glass.

He then killed someone at a Samson supply store and another person at a service station, the safety department said.

Police pursued him to Reliable Metal Products just north of Geneva, about a dozen miles southeast of Samson, where he fired an estimated 30 rounds. One of the bullets hit Geneva Police Chief Frankie Lindsey, who was saved by his bullet proof vest, the safety department said.

The statement says the gunman then went in the plant and shot himself. His name was not released.

The gunman had worked at Reliable Metal, said state Rep. Warren Beck, a Republican whose district includes Geneva.

"My secretary heard gunfire everywhere," he said. "This is one of the most tragic events ever in Geneva County."

State Sen. Harri Anne Smith, R-Slocomb, said some of those killed in Samson were sitting outside.

"He was just driving down the street shooting at people sitting on their porches," she said. "A family was just sitting on the porch and they were shot."

Reliable Metal Products makes grills and vents for heating and AC systems, mainly for hotels. A call to a person who answered the phone at the plant said no one could talk about the shooting.

The towns of Geneva and Samson are roughly 30 miles south of Fort Rucker, near the Florida border in southeast Alabama. Geneva's population is about 4,400 and Samson, 2,000.

Smith and Beck were at the Statehouse when state troopers came to get them and took them to Geneva County. Smith said the governor's office is sending resources and state troopers are setting up a command post.

Some info on Samson, AL

http://factfinder.census.gov/servle...&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&show_2003_tab=&redirect=Y

parapauk said:
ilovegrapes said:
US and its people have a long love affair with guns that started with the nation's inception in the second amendment.

The conundrum is - how do you not infringe on this right and yet limit the chances of these horrors happening? (A subquery would be - why do these shootings seem so much more common now in the US? What has changed that makes violence like this 'acceptable'?)

The ability to get access to weapons varies greatly from state to state. In Florida, it is relatively easy, whereas in MA for instance, I would have to get the approval of my police commissioner do to so. One solution would be a set of federal standards that apply to all. States rightists would object though, but even if it could be done - what checks should there be? Criminal checks, certainly, to make sure one is not a felon, but what of checks about mental stability? Those who are privacy advocates worry, and rightly so I think, about gobment getting into citizens' medical records. So, the type of weapon could be limited. What is really needed for hunting, target shooting, self defence? Surely not semi-automatic rifles - weapons the Founding Fathers could not have dreamt of.

That being said, a real problem, even if strict gun control was implemented, would be the black market, where it is fairly easy to obtain weapons of many types for the right price.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
gunman then went in the plant and shot himself
Seems to be the favourite end of the scenario by the shooter in most cases. Which really robs those hillbillies of a 'frying' or 'hanging' - whichever is the favourite past-time down those neck of the woods. Wonder if he was a 'Trenchcoat Mafia' Emo/billy no mates like Harris or Klebold, or everyone's favourite (known mental case before he went on a rampage) lunatic of Virginia Tech

Whilst it does happen all over the World, we all seem to be unsurprised that it happens most of all in the U.S. Almost an expected event now, every few months. Sad.

Kevin does make some valid points but as someone with a long history in shooting sports in massachusetts, one of the most restrictive states.

1) There are Federal standards. States are then welcome to set stricter standards as long as the state restrictions do not infringe on the citizen's constitutional rights.
2) In Massachusetts the police chief/commissioner has fairly broad discretion as to licensing for handguns. There is much less discretion as to the Firearms ID required for long guns. However as to Kevin's example, not true as to Kevin as he is a UK citizen. Non-citizens cannot get a license from the local police chief but only from the head of the Mass. State Police and he gives out damn few.
3) Federal laws require that there be no criminal record and that the person who applies sign an affidavit saying he has never been hospitalized for mental illness. The affidavit provision is weak and actually gun owners groups have lobbied to have a record check for that. It is the liberal Democrats who have stopped this as they feel it would be an invasion of privacy. I feel it is a bit like the signs on all US military bases that entering the base are subject to search. If you apply for a license you could waive your privacy rights.
4) The vast majority of guns used in crimes are not legally owned by persons with licenses. The are illegal guns that were stolen off trucks, ship containers etc. Remember that Massachusetts and Connecticut are the home to a number of gun manufacturers. (S&W, Colt, Sturm Ruger)
5) I don't quite understand the issue with semiautomatic rifles. They are rarely used in crime. They are primarily used for target shooting and a number of events, as a practical matter, cannot be fired without using a semi-automatic.

I have had an unrestricted Class A. Mass. Licence to Carry for over 30 years, in that time i have not shot anybody. I have broken a lot of clay pigeons, punched a lot of paper but have not even shot one of the squirrels that daily raid my bird feeder (greedy little feckers)

A major part of the problem is that the Massachusetts courts don't have the bollocks to put the gun criminals in jail. They feel sorry for poor deprived "urban youts" who are being persecuted by the nasty racist police. I good friend of mine, a Det.Sgt. took three rounds from a .357 magnum (stolen gun, no license). Took them in the knee, thigh and buttocks. The one in the buttocks had gone through his radio and the surgeons had quite a time picking transistors etc out of his tissue. He never was the same, have many repeated surgeries and died in his 60's. The maggot who shot him got 4 years and was out in 2.5. I was with him in the ER before surgery. He refused to be wheeled up to surgery until the evidence techs had taken his clothing from him as he wanted to preserve the evidentiary value. All that and the maggot was out in 2.5. Of course our state is run by liberal democrats so they like it like that. It is the gunowners who push for heavier mandatory sentences for gun crime but get nowhere with the liberals.

Oddly, in my city a nosy neighbor looked into the window of a neighbors basement. He saw multiple guns and boxes of ammo and called his city councilor. The home owner had not been seen for several weeks. The city councillor called the police and soon a warrant was obtained and a raid commenced with the councilor front and center to take credit with the neighbors. Yes, the guy had a lot of guns and they were all carted off to the police vault. The police finally located the owner. He was in Iraq, a SSGT in the Mass. NG. What was his regular job? He was a firearms technician for the National Guard. Were the guns legal? Yes, each and every one was legal. A huge waste of police manpower just to keep a politician happy.

Rant over but now you know why I often vote Republican.

KevinB said:
US and its people have a long love affair with guns that started with the nation's inception in the second amendment.
Goes way before that to the original Colony Militias and the need to hunt to supplement the table & defend against Indian and Frenchmen attacking your abode.
Firearms didnt suddenly appear in 1776.

KevinB said:
The conundrum is - how do you not infringe on this right and yet limit the chances of these horrors happening? (A subquery would be - why do these shootings seem so much more common now in the US? What has changed that makes violence like this 'acceptable'?)
Media, plays a slight reason. Many of these attention whores want to be famous like the Gangsta Rappers wit their "Glock Fo-Tays" , or take some perverse pride in thinking the world will remember these little shytebags for their acts long after their pathetic lives are done.

Instant 24 hour news also spreads information. in the 1940's, 1950's , 1960's you wouldnt likely have heard if a child was abducted in Florida if you lived in Wyoming. now you have every channel instantly going on for hours over every incident. An Old Media Maxim:If it Bleeds, It Leads" holds true.

Many High Schools around the country have rifle ranges in the basements. It was quite common to have school rifle teams. Today, the thought of a teen going to school with a rifle is immediately thought of as Horrific. Then it was a daily occurance, yet no mass shootings?

Why? Thats the real question to ask. Guns were far more prevalent around teens.

KevinB said:
The ability to get access to weapons varies greatly from state to state. In Florida, it is relatively easy, whereas in MA for instance, I would have to get the approval of my police commissioner do to so. One solution would be a set of federal standards that apply to all.
There is a federal standard, 21 for Handguns, 18 for Longuns and no convictions*. States are allowed to add further restrictions.

KevinB said:
States rightists would object though, but even if it could be done - what checks should there be? Criminal checks, certainly, to make sure one is not a felon, but what of checks about mental stability?
You really have no clue about firearms laws in the USA do you?

To purchase a Firearm from a Gunstore, or Dealer(FFL holder), one must fill out a form 4473, and you are required to be inputted into NICS (National Instant Crime Check) through the DOJ.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

The federally prohibitive criteria outlining the reasons an individual may be precluded from the transfer/possession of a firearm or firearm-related permit, pursuant to Title 18 U.S.C., §§ 922 (g) and (n), are as follows:

A person convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, whether or not sentence is imposed. This includes misdemeanor offenses with a potential term of imprisonment in excess of two years, whether or not sentence was imposed.

Persons who are fugitives of justice; for example, the subject of an active felony or misdemeanor warrant.

An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year, or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year, or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.

A person adjudicated mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including dispositions to criminal charges pertaining to found not guilty by reason of insanity or found incompetent to stand trial.

An alien illegally/unlawfully in the United States or a non-immigrant who does not qualify for the exceptions under Title 18 U.S.C. Section 922(y); for example, not have possession of a valid hunting license.

A person dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.

A person who has renounced his/her United States citizenship.

The subject of a protective order issued after a hearing in which the respondent had notice that restrains them from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such partner. This does not include ex parte orders.

A person convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime which includes the use or attempted use of physical force or threatened use of a deadly weapon and the defendant was the spouse, former spouse, parent, guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited in the past with the victim as a spouse, parent, guardian or similarly situated to a spouse, parent or guardian of the victim.

A person under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.

KevinB said:
Those who are privacy advocates worry, and rightly so I think, about gobment getting into citizens' medical records. So, the type of weapon could be limited. What is really needed for hunting, target shooting, self defence? Surely not semi-automatic rifles - weapons the Founding Fathers could not have dreamt of.
The Founding Fathers couldn't have dreamed of Television, Radio, the Internet either, but freedom of speech isnt restricted to just Printed newsheets from a Gutenberg press.......

As well could you perhaps point out in the US Constitution where it says Firearms must be sutiable for hunting?

The Speed Limit is 65MPH in this country, but one can purchase a Ferrari which can go over 100MPH. Unless your a Professional racing driver who needs that much speed? :roll:

KevinB said:
That being said, a real problem, even if strict gun control was implemented, would be the black market, where it is fairly easy to obtain many types of guns for the right price.
You would know. the funds you raised helped buy black market guns to kill Soldiers, Police officers, Civilians, Children........

Thats aside, considering we cant secure our borders and thousands of Illegal Aliens cross into the US each day, that drugs get smuggled in, what are the odds that Kalashnikov's cannot get in as well?

KevinB said:
parapauk said:
ilovegrapes said:

The ability to get access to weapons varies greatly from state to state. In Florida, it is relatively easy, whereas in MA for instance, I would have to get the approval of my police commissioner do to so. One solution would be a set of federal standards that apply to all. States rightists would object though, but even if it could be done - what checks should there be? Criminal checks, certainly, to make sure one is not a felon, but what of checks about mental stability? Those who are privacy advocates worry, and rightly so I think, about gobment getting into citizens' medical records. So, the type of weapon could be limited. What is really needed for hunting, target shooting, self defence? Surely not semi-automatic rifles - weapons the Founding Fathers could not have dreamt of.

That being said, a real problem, even if strict gun control was implemented, would be the black market, where it is fairly easy to obtain weapons of many types for the right price.
The conundrum for me is watching the irony of you, lecturing on gun control. What did you think your 'tin rattling' was buying? Sorry to drag the thread off track but, f*ck me sideways, it's like watching Hannibal Lecter talking about the benefits of vegetarianism!

ilovegrapes said:
Erm Well Grapes it really isn't always in America. Actually Europe and the UK get this sort of thing too. It is just that it is less fun to make fun of them.

This weeks Scoreboard: USA 9 FRG 15
Link

This has held true over many years. Linky
Scoreboard including this week
USA 70 Europe 71

In fairness to Europe I excluded Beslan (334)

Looking at pictures of the massacres in Europe I did not see one picture of a shooter wearing a cowboy hat, baseball cap with a chewing tobaco logo or a pickup with a confederate flag. There have been no reports that the person responsible for the worst US incident, Cho Seung-hui, was a redneck. Actually he was not American but a Korean citizen. If we exclude Virgina Tech the the score is.
USA 38 Europe 71

If these incidents are to be atributed to gun laws it is quite clear that strict gun laws cause massacres and lax gun laws prevent massacres. It does not make a lot of sense but is the logical conclusion of what people have been posting here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dorsetross88 Sick Jokes 0