Breaking News, shooting at elementary school Conneticut

This thing happens every 6 months in the USA. Last one was the bloke in the cinema in July. Why is anyone surprised or shocked that this sort of thing happens? It's the price Americans are more than willing to pay to uphold their constitutional rights.

This thing happens every 6 months in the USA. Last one was the bloke in the cinema in July. Why is anyone surprised or shocked that this sort of thing happens? It's the price Americans are more than willing to pay to uphold their constitutional rights.
The day you aren't shocked when someone brasses up some kids is the day you should consider topping yourself IMHO.

FU2 is correct, the body count in the states is staggering, as is the cost to the public.

Why don't they do anything? Because the Second Amendment has been misinterpreted from guaranteeing a right to belong to the militia to guaranteeing private arms. So, instead of a Swiss Style military as envisioned by the founders (and was sort of popular in British culture at the time along with the fear of standing armies), they now have mass shootings on a daily basis.

Instead of looking to other common law jurisdictions to see that the concept of "gun rights" is particularly silly, they hold that there is some sacredness to weapons--after all look to the reactions to Hungerford and Dunblane here and Port Arthur in Oz to see how fast other common law jurisdictions tighten up on guns.

So, there are virtually no background checks on buying a weapon other than a quick check of a rather patchy database. That's why most shooters bought their firearms LEGALLY. Even criminals have no problem picking up firearms since there is also no registration or way to track a gun once sold. All US crime guns start out as legal commodities--so saying gun laws wouldn't stop this is rather fatuous.

But, remember the States was once the dumping ground for Britain's scum prior to Australia taking that position. It seems to attract most of the rest of the world's crazies post-independence.

Toss in that the media is in the hands of Rupert Murdoch (most US media is in the hands of 5 corporations) and you get a rather combustible mix of stupidity, ignorance, and just insanity.

I do theorise that had the US's founders looked 200 years into the future--they would have stayed British.

But, would we want them?

Though I'm not suggesting UK style gun laws be introduced (nor did anyone on the thread) but I don't see how you think it would achieve **** all, when was our last school massacre/college massacre/cinema massacre etc?
The gunman is reported to be 20 years old. The legal age to own a rifle in Conneticut is 21. People who go out with the intention to kill as many small children as they can don't really care what the law says about whether they can own a gun. That is why it would achieve **** all.

Though I'm not suggesting UK style gun laws be introduced (nor did anyone on the thread) but I don't see how you think it would achieve **** all, when was our last school massacre/college massacre/cinema massacre etc?
Cumbria 2010 dereck bird ! ring any bells .Still fresh in the minds of those involved!!! COCK

The day you aren't shocked when someone brasses up some kids is the day you should consider topping yourself IMHO.
So you mean to say you're truly shocked? I ain't. Not one bit of it - and I don't intend joining the bodycount over it either. There's two threads on ARRSE at the mo: some spams going bananas in the desert with HMGs (that's Cali, not AFG), and one featuring adults dressed as babies. It's a mad planet and I hope the twain never meets.

My poor reading of the thread and I accept no one had advocated a UK-type gun law - apologies. However, what I was trying to express (albeit very badly), was that the anti-gun movement in the US is unlikely to have sufficient clout to influence the outcome, even after an horrendous event such as this. I truly hope it is a defining moment for the country to take stock, but I doubt it. The pro-gun lobby is too powerful. I also maintain that however draconian a countries gun laws are, a maniac will always find the means to do the dirty deed. A terrible tragedy.

Cumbria 2010 dereck bird ! ring any bells .Still fresh in the minds of those involved!!! COCK
I don't want to nosedive a thread but as I said before, one incident like that is not the same as what has happened in America on several occasions and that is largely as a result of our control of firearms but feel free to name call if it makes you feel better.

I think JBM has it nearer the mark.

My poor reading of the thread and I accept no one had advocated a UK-type gun law - apologies. However, what I was trying to express (albeit very badly), was that the anti-gun movement in the US is unlikely to have sufficient clout to influence the outcome, even after an horrendous event such as this. I truly hope it is a defining moment for the country to take stock, but I doubt it. The pro-gun lobby is too powerful. I also maintain that however draconian a countries gun laws are, a maniac will always find the means to do the dirty deed. A terrible tragedy.
Agree totally in that something (what that is I don't know) should be done but probably won't.

I don't think it's the availability of guns in the US - there's plenty of other countries with very high rates of gun ownership without schools/cinemas/bus stops being brassed up on a regular basis. There is something in the American psyche that predisposes them to trying to kill large numbers of their fellow countrymen for whatever reason they can come up.

Rest in peace to the kids, poor little *******.

This. That is all.

RIP the innocent. Heard on the BBC World Service, with a 9 month old, it made my skin crawl. The poor, innocent, children.

BBC News now reporting that a whole classroom of children is unaccounted for.

What ever the motif was for this sick inhumane attack, why take it out on innocent children FFS ?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't want to nosedive a thread but as I said before, one incident like that is not the same as what has happened in America on several occasions and that is largely as a result of our control of firearms but feel free to name call if it makes you feel better.

I think JBM has it nearer the mark.
It's a fair point. If the UK had similar laws to the US, you can guarantee Bird's kill count would've been higher.

To me it seems pretty clear cut; in this country, given a hell of a lot of hassle, one can own guns that are on the whole, designed to kill animals. In the US, pretty much anyone can own a device which is solely designed for the purpose of killing human beings.

I'll bet good money that the weapon/weapons used today were autos in military calibres.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

BBC News now reporting that a whole classroom of children is unaccounted for.

What ever the motif was for this sick inhumane attack, why take it out on innocent children FFS ?
Fox radio reporting that NBC have named him as Ryan Lanze ( sp?) and that his mother has been found dead in a house in New Jersey.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dorsetross88 Sick Jokes 0
dorsetross88 Sick Jokes 0
Pacifist_Jihadist US 54