Breaking news - Rover Group go under

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Apr 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rover call in receivers, more follows.

Still it's not all gloom, somejong (groan) can pick up Rover for a fan song now.

Like that wasn't the f*****g plan all the time. :evil: :evil:

John Towers, you're a damn fool if you ever thought this Government were going to bail you out.

2. Didn't surprise me.......sad that this government, which calls itself Labour, will not even bail out the last remaining British Motor firm :evil:

So who will buy it for a swansong :?

One of Tones cronies??

Lets wait and see what happens will we :roll:

3. I am led to believe the Chinese automotive bunch will come in and snap up all of that cheap car building kit that will soon be liquidated/appearing on ebay. No bl00dy wonder they didn't buy it out - why should they?

4. MG ROVER SAY 'WTF ARE YOU BANGING ON ABOUT HEWITT?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4422705.stm

There is more coming. It's going make some interesting reading in the morning.

5. Who do you think Labour will attempt to blame for this cock-up then?

Rover is a private company so effectively the Government has directly brought about the possible loss of 6000+ private sector jobs by its own ineptness.

Still that'll make a change eh?

6. DTI say 'You told us you were calling in the receivers you numpty"

Harsh words being exchanged, and I'm sure I can even hear the conversation :D

7. I am p*ssing myself at this? I sympathise with the workers but politically its a gem...........whose constituency is this? Flawed int mate it gets everywhere!

8. Nice high-stakes game of Chinese Whispers going on up at Longbridge then? :)

9. If Patricia Hewitt jumped the gun on this, that seems extraordinarily inept for a Trade Minister. I have just been listening to her on Today in Parliament piously refusing earlier in the day to answer a question on the grounds of "commercial confidentiality".

Even if the company chairman had spoken to her in the terms that she claims, it seems incredible that the Government would then take it on themselves to make the announcement. I can't emphasise enough how big a mistake this would have been.

10. Would it be REALLY REALLY REALLY big? BIGGGER evn than a BIG bag of BIG things from INEPTSVILLE BIGLAND :? :wink:

11. Makes no difference if the company did tell the Govt that. Company chairmen speak to Govt off-line. They dont expect the Govt to then jump the gun and make the announcement on their behalf. If these reports are correct I really am astonished that this has happened.

12. I'm not Hackle, far from it.

Anyone got a RSS/News feed for the Hang-Seng?