Breaking News - New Fuel Protest this evening

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by heard_it_all_before, May 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On BBC 9pm news.

Fuel protest at Ellsmere port refinery, protestors turning away fuel lorries at the gates.

2. Good skills.

3. Scotland hasn't recovered from the last bout yet - there was no diesel at the BP garage at Glasgow Airport last night when I went to fill the hire car.

4. well it was only a matter of time , just hope it does some good ( although it won't) :x
    Cyclops will just bury his head that little further into the sand.
    This country is getting well and truly f**ked by all and sundry in power.

5. Best fill up on the way to work then (thank God I leave early!).

6. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

I'd like to say good drills, but my car is currently running on fumes and that is my local refinery. Oh well, looking on the bright side hopefully it will get PM Broon out of No. 10 a couple of years early.

7. Good luck to them

8. Mine too. I'm only in Preston. I work flexi-time so I leave home at 0730 and can knock off at 1600.
    Bank holiday weekend. Nice timing!

9. Any protest against the, 'New Lie-before Unleaded Party' taxation on fuel is like farting against thunder.

Forget it. Vote them out.

10. I would do but if Brown get his way the country will be beyond repair by the time he calls an election,
    Only hope is for him to be forced out of office by things like this

11. As long as the trains are fully laden to get me to Twickenham I don't mind.

12. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7378800.stm

Refinery protest over fuel prices

About 100 farmers and hauliers have staged a demonstration outside the Stanlow Oil Refinery at Ellesmere Port in Cheshire over rising fuel prices.

Protesters stood at the entrance of the plant and had blocked about 50 lorries from entering by about 2300 BST.

Cheshire police said they were notified just after 2030 BST and officers were at the scene.

The protesters later moved off the road and vehicles were moving freely in and out of the refinery.

The Stanlow plant was at the centre of the fuel protests in 2000 that caused some stations to run out of petrol.

'Massive profits'

One of the hauliers told the BBC: "It's affecting all of us. It's not just hauliers and farmers - although they are being crippled by the costs - it's going to have a knock on effect on everyone - in rising fuel costs and higher prices of food on the shelves in shops."

A protester said hauliers and farmers were being made bankrupt while companies still made a profit.

He said: "People are going out of business left, right and centre and no-one seems to care.

"Oil companies are still announcing massive profits and the government are taking massive amounts of tax - and they want to put another 2p on in October.

"They've got to bring it down it down again. Something must be done or this country's industry will be lost."

Police said the protest was peaceful and no arrests had been made