Breaking news, France, Germany and the United States to expel Russian diplomats

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Putin has been getting away with murder (literally) because no one country has wanted to be singled out by Putin for retaliation. However, with multiple countries having a pop - including some heavy hitters - expelling diplomats and putting more economic sanctions in place has become more acceptable/lower risk. As such, I think the recent nerve gas attack may have been the straw that broken the camel's back. I think Putin is going to find himself ever more isolated on the world stage.

Wordsmith

This is a major result for the UK - to get this level of co-ordination is a major diplomatic coup for which the FCO deserve enormous credit. This level of explusions is all but unprecedented and is a major sign of just how pissed countries are with Russia right now.

Its also an example of genuine robust dialogue in action...

Last edited:
This is a major result for the UK - to get this level of co-ordination is a major diplomatic coup for which the FCO deserve enormous credit. This level of explusions is all but unprecedented and is a major sign of just how pissed countries are with Russia right now.

I think it is also sending out a very clear signal that in the post Brexit world the West will stand united and firm against Russia.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think March 2018 will go down in history as the month the Second Cold War formally started.
Can we get our Regiments back then? Need to sack crapita before recruiting to them!

Those short-sighted and vote-grabbing politicians who came up with Options For Change in June 1990 and God knows how many rounds of defence cuts since then have got a lot to answer for.
Beyond any shadow of a doubt, for one to take the rise of Gorbachev's declaration that all is well with the world, the fall of the wall, and the massive influx of Trebants, as an indicator that 73 years of history just resets is insane. It was a poorly disguised attempt to claw back some saving for the national coffers. Those chickens are now coming home to roost, and finding us sorely wanting.

Those short-sighted and vote-grabbing politicians who came up with Options For Change in June 1990 and God knows how many rounds of defence cuts since then have got a lot to answer for.
I was employed in defence engineering when the wall came down and a year later we were all made redundant, the best job I ever had.
The company closed and has now been demolished but Maggie and Ronnie celebrated the end of the Cold War.
I said "It's alright now chaps, all of sudden us and the Russkies are all best mates so I'm sure it's all for the greater good" (said in a cynical manner).
How interesting that us engineers (with a comprehensive education) could see what was going to happen in the future but our idiot lords and masters missed the point totally and jumped on their beloved principles of cutbacks.

It might be.

On the other hand, these countries could be just using this as an excuse to eject Russians that they've wanted rid of for some time.

I was employed in defence engineering when the wall came down and a year later we were all made redundant, the best job I ever had.
The company closed and has now been demolished but Maggie and Ronnie celebrated the end of the Cold War.
I said "It's alright now chaps, all of sudden us and the Russkies are all best mates so I'm sure it's all for the greater good" (said in a cynical manner).
How interesting that us engineers (with a comprehensive education) could see what was going to happen in the future but our idiot lords and masters missed the point totally and jumped on their beloved principles of cutbacks.
I did a stint in a engineering company based in Slough (Come friendly bombs, etc) that made the (IIRC) JP233 for Tornados, and from what people there told me they suffered in the same way. There was P45s all round for those on the shop floor, but the technical and higher up office staff got to keep their company cars.

Come the attempted coup against Gorby in August 1991 and all the surviving manegerial types came in singing ' Happy Dats are here again'. As history tells us, Gorby was not deposed and all the defence cuts in the West went through, and indeed were increased.

Now the pendulum has started to swing the other way it will be way too late to restore those cuts.

Last edited:
I think it is also sending out a very clear signal that in the post Brexit world the West will stand united and firm against Russia.
I'd wait and see what the Russian response to this is and whether it triggers a second phase of action from the west before we declare it a success. Don't get me wrong, thus far all highly commendable and good plan all round, but I hope we have a similarly well-coordinated plan involving really going after the money if that nice Mr Putin decides to play tit-for-tat.

If using WMD on the soil of another nation just results in tit-for-tat stalemate, then he's won. This one has to have real consequences.

I did a stint in a engineering company based in Slough (Come you friendly bombs, etc) that made the (IIRC) JP233 for Tornados, and from what people there told me they suffered in the same way. There was P45s all round for those on the shop floor, but the technacal and higher up office staff got to keep their company cars.

Come the attempted coup against Gorby in August 1991 and all the surviving manegerial types came in singing ' Happy Dats are here again'. As history tells us, Gorby was not deposed and all the defence cuts in the West went through, and indeed were increased.

Now the pendulum has started to swing the other way it will be way too late to restore those cuts.
We did JP233 as well and we also got part of the AWACs contract from Boeing.
As far as I am concerned the 'pendulum started to swing the other way' the day they demolished our industry.
As this is in CA I will be careful, but the decision makers from that period were utter idiots.

I think the presumption that the first one was over was a little pre-emptive.

IMHO, 1992-2000 were actually pretty friendly times. That was the period Russia opened up, and Russians were excited to become part of the international community/ modern world. Even the spooks were friendly and cooperative; the ones in your office would laugh about the crazy foreigner escapades they were reporting back, but would arrange your visa renewal/ car registration by same-day service.

The shutters came crashing down again in 2000. Thats when all the collaberations and initiatives started to freeze over, and when Russians sensed the change of direction and started pulling up the draw-bridges again. Coincidentally (not), that was the year a new president was crowned.