Breaking in a barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Jubbles, May 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This saturday I am going to buy a unfired 91/30 mosin nagant made in 1931, I am told that breaking the barrel in will improve accuracy and lead to greater barrel life

do any of the arrse community know how to do this?
  2. Clean the barrel. Dry out with a patch.
    Shoot one round.
    Shoot one round,
    Shoot two,

That'll do.
  3. By clean, he means thoroughly remove powder fouling with a phosphor bronze brush, then remove all traces of copper fouling with multiple patches soaked in copper remover (e.g. Sweet's, Copper Terminator, or similar).

I do
    1 - clean
    1 - clean
    1 - clean
    1 - clean
    1 - clean
    5 - clean
    5 - clean

Geoff Kolbe of Border Bbls does: 1 - clean - leave overnight with Forrest Bore Foam, and repeat for 5 days.

Everyone has their own method...
  4. How much of an effect does this actually have?

does it improve accuracy or barrel life much?
  5. It tends to reduce the error in the first shot from clean, and you often find that the rifle settles into tighter groups after fewer shots.

I broke my rifle in using
    1 shot/clean x5
    2 shots/clean x5
    3 shots/clean x 5
    I was super sad and used a borescope to check the barrel was cleaned perfectly after each shot string. F*cking saddo!
  6. On a 91/30 you won't notice any difference in accuracy, but you will find that it picks up less fouling and is far easier to clean (you'll notice this during the breaking-in procedure). On a target rifle, or heavy-barrelled scoped setup you may notice a small accuracy improvement, and you should get around 750rds more useable bbl life out of it.
  7. Ok, I have decided
    1 round then clean x5,
    5rounds and clean x2
    and finally 10 rounds and clean x2

with dry patches except from the first 5 times when solvent shall lso be used
  8. Always use solvent when breaking the barrel in mate. It dissolves the smears of copper from the barrel, thus preventing the subsequent bullet pushing the old copper into the barrel, making dents and the barrel harder to clean. Always oil the barrel prior to the shot otherwise you will promote more copper being smared on the barrel.
  9. oil it ? or solvent it? i have some sweets 7.62, ok then il use solvent everytime
  10. You need a copper solvent, and a good gun oil to lube the barrel. I used Butch's bore shine as the solvent and butch's oil afterwards. Try forrest bore foam as that makes life easier, and whatever lightish gun oil you have to hand.
  11. You NEED to remove copper fouling each time with a copper-removing solvent (preferably after removing the powder fouling first), and you NEED to have the bbl dry again for the next shot.

There are no short cuts - it's a complete PITA...
  12. <My bold- disagree with you there. Most custom rifle guru's (including Dave Tooley) advocate a v.light oiling. This provides sufficient lubrication but not so much that the bullet fails to abrade and knock the dents out. I found dry barrels led to increased fouling (using the bore scope)
  13. OK how about this then

5x 1 shot, clean out residue, remove copper with sweets 7.62, then put a light coating of oil on
    2x 5 shots, clean out residue, remove copper with sweets 7.62, then put a light coating of oil on

that good enough?
  14. That'll do mate