Breaker Morant

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by yeoman, Nov 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just watched the movie again for the first time in years.

Event allowing for the obligatory Brit bashing of that era of Aussie film it is a good watch.

There are some interesting parallels between the events in SA and the current situation in Iraq and the way the Govt is happy to stitch up its own to curry favour with the locals.

I was also struck by the relevance of the defense councils closing adress. To para phrase dont be suprised it unpleasent things hapen in war, its an unpleasent buisness. Also give clear orders and back your officers when they carry them out.

Any one else got a veiw?
  2. Love that film.

If anyone has any doubts as to Brit governments shafting it's own troops for political expediency watch the film. A fact-based account of a fine tradition of soldiers doing their duty and (literally in this case) being shot for it.
  3. Good film. Historically inaccurate. You are right about he political conext when the film was made, but Morant was a war criminal, nonetheless - I am sure blame falls elsewhere, but Morant did bad things regardless of what instructions he may have been given.
  4. From the Lighthorse Association website:Lighthorse Association

5. I'm going to stop using Google and just ask barbs instead. Another excellent posting.
  6. That's me told :D