Break out the Wombat - the recoilless rifles are back !

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by fantassin, Feb 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the LAW M72, the M14 and the M79, now is the turn of the M67 to do a come back ; what's next ? Ontos ?

Currahees add to their Weapons Arsenal
    February 12, 2011
    Written by By U.S. Army Spc. Kimberly K. Menzies
    Task Force Currahee Public Affairs

Paktika Province, Afghanistan – Currahee Soldiers from 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, began incorporating the M67 90mm recoilless rifle into their squads February 10th.

“We chose to utilize the 90mm because we wanted a high-volume fire power weapon that would provide low collateral damage,” said U.S. Army Lt. Col. Robert B. Fouche of Columbus, GA, executive officer for 4th BCT, 101st Abn. Div.

The M67 is a lightweight, portable, crew-served weapon designed primarily to be fired from the ground using the bipod or monopod, but it may be fired from the shoulder. It is an air-cooled, breech-loaded, single-shot rifle that fires fixed ammunition and it is equipped with a manually-operated breech and a percussion-type firing mechanism. As a reloadable weapon, it can be used with optics and lasers to fire at night.

more at:

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2011/02/12/currahees-add-to-their-weapons-arsenal/

Surprising Comeback: The 90mm Recoilless Rifle Returns to the Curahees at the 101st « MJ Mollenhour's Blog on the 2nd Amendment, National Defense, and Terrorism

2. I've been saying for a while that we should think laterally with regard to our firepower needs.

Something like this could easily be fitted as a crew served weapon on Jackal, Ridgback etc, and might well fill the firegower gap between 30mm Rarden and Javelin.

3. The Carl Gustav's also made a come back in Afgan i belive the Canadians and a few others use it as a cheap reply to the RPG

4. Nice to see them back, I really enjoyed firing the Carl Gustav, I was less fond of tabbing with it.

WOMBAT was also good for a laugh, the modified cannister would be mustard against the Taliban, but Oh is it loud. My ears are still ringing now.

The M67 is just a cheap Carl Gustav with less range, the RPG7 also outranges it. The US Rangers stayed with the Charley G, as would I.

5. A number of countries (including Sweden, Canada and Ireland) never stopped using the 84 Carl G.

We upgraded ours with laser range finders, better sights and improved ammo.

6. Didn't most/all of the British Army's Wombats go down on the Atlantic Conveyor?

7. Only fired the Charlie-G once as a young lad, but what a rush!

As Gassing_Badgers said would it not fill a gap? With the range of ammo available, HE, Air Busrt HE etc, would it not be a viable and cheaper option than Javelin up to 1000m?

Just a thought - yours?

Q.

8. You are not realistically going to get a light recoiless rifle to work out to 1000m.

Wombat and it's ilk are also gone never to return - the last government bulldozed the plant that made the ammunition for it!

Best bet would be to buy some old stylee Chinese or Russian kit like the B10 or B11, the ammuniton for which it is still made in India or Pakistan. You could trick it up with some modern sights and a laser rangefinder...

B-11 recoilless rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mind you - best of luck getting it past DOSg!

9. Have you got M3s or modded M2s?

10. As I was lead to understand it, with the old steam driven Soviet kit they have higher breech pressures through use of restricted venturi, this lets them use lighter propellant charges, but the weapons are heavier. These venturi gas-wash out really fast, the effect is that each round flies less far than the last. They try and get around that with adjustable venturi (which are dire "in the burny finger oh bugger wheres me ******* venturi tool sense") The venturi need regular replacement. With our system the venturi is part of the cartridge case, if the ammo is good the shot is good.

11. Oh Absolutely! There are very few "free lunches" in the weapon design & ballistics game!

Ya pays yer money.. ya takes yer choice!

I suspect however that choice is what you don't have at the moment... (seeing as the system got rid of the good kit and has not the time, expertise or resources to replace it!)

12. The spams returned to using recoilless weapons over 20 years ago, in the form of the AT4.

13. Near enough, except the last sentence is wrong. What he says (fairly literally) is "the fun is going right out of this, heh". Nearest English equivalent would be something like "this isn't fun any more", or "this is getting less fun by the minute".

14. Max range 1000m

Not involved with them but we definitely have M3 (but M2s are still around as well)

15. You can get a 5.56 out to 1000m - but is it realistic?