Brazils police: showing the UK how it should be done

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Dread, Nov 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just came across this video:

Police murder

So why did the Brazilians feel that they had any right to criticise our plod for making a mistake?
  2. I could say that they complained because that what happened ion London was not the action that they expected from the British Police.

But if I was cynical I would say because they saw a way for a good compensation payout and a few paid trips to the UK to see their other reletives that live in london.
  3. I'd go along with the second part of that last post.
  4. Me too!
  5. Having lived and worked in Sao Paulo 2000-03 I have mixed feelings about Brazil's finest.

My first encounter came a couple of weeks in to my Brazilian sojourn when I was walking home from Finnegans Bar in Pinheiros around midnight. A police car cruised by and I paid no heed until I heard a car door slam behind me.

Fast forward to me on my knees on the pavement with my hands up with a large, ungainly revolver of uncertain provenance pointed at me by one of them as the other frisked me. Realising my gringo status from wallet contents they (a) returned wallet 'untaxed' (b) waved me on my way.

Throughout I was more concerned about an ND than anything else. My intial prejudice about their weapon handling was confirmed a bit later when I saw one bloke in his car (I never saw a Brazilian copper on foot patrol) with his arm on the door sill, pistol in hand, finger inside the trigger guard yawning prodigously...

Their heavy boys used to be four up in big old 4x4s brandishing pump action shotguns and SMGs. Not that I blame them: you'd see four armed private security guards standing by a supermarket ATM when it was re-filled, these guys all knew what they were potentially up against.

The police famously used to 'move on' some of Sao Paulo's estimated one million street kids at the behest (and backhander) of local businesses. I literally had to step over kids on the street until an upmarket furniture store opened across from my apartment block. I still remember the police pre-opening 'visit' to the kids: community policing it wasn't but at least there were no bodies in the morning (a not unheard of occurrence).
  6. hmm oh yes 'move on' street children, quite often with a 9 mil to the head. Brazilian filth carry a government sanctioned 'clean 'gun, and illegally obtained 'black' gun so when accused of murder etc they can hand in the clean one and avoid prosecution
  7. Well obviously they are going to be able to show the Met how it's done..........they've got so many more Brazilians to practice on!
  8. Well the Federal Police buy their own guns and can carry whatever they like. Most carry two. As 10 year olds cannot commit a crime in Brazil most drug protection and general 'ganstas' are 10 or younger. Those were/are the types that were being involved in police shootings. Not just some little lad out playing on his bike.
  9. I recall a newspaper photograph from a few years ago which showed the aftermath of a shoot-out between police and criminals (at least I'm assuming they were criminals...) in Sao Paulo. There were bodies littering the street and a group of heavily-armed policemen were taking shelter under a shop canopy from a torrential downpour - what struck me about the scene was that one of the policemen was leaning out into the rain to wash blood off his hands.

The Brazilians are the last people on earth to point the finger at any other country regarding 'police brutality'.
  10. true. i thought merseyside police were brutal of a weekend but seein the video has truly revitalised my belief that foreigners are hypocrites
  11. Scary stuff.

I had the misfortune to visit Stockwell the other week and saw the large memorial to the hapless electrician. It is somewhat gutting to see that the poor fella still gets a large number of flowers and messages from the public, whereas the 53 victims of the Tube bombings have a tiny plaque in Russell Sq where no-one lays flowers any more.
  12. Because hippys love "injustice", especially something that was done by the police or the army.

Irrespective of what was going on at the time (people blowing themselves up on tubetrains) they need something to campiegn about to justify their lives.

But having said that, it's part of the reason why we were a great country anyway, but sadly I fear we have been going too far looking after the rights of suspects and criminals that now we treat them like kings to avoid any suspicion of wrong doing or mistreatment.

Now we reward being a scumbag.
  13. Yeah but one death was the result of nazi, bullyboy, out-of-control cops the other 53 were the result of poor misguided kids who probably had a difficult childhood (I blame the parents myself) acting out of desperation in a world that they see as hostile against their cultural and religious freedoms.

The older I get the more cynically I view the world around me. :evil:
  14. lol im 21 and im already a terminal cynic
  15. The inncent man was killed in London. Let's forget for a minute about his nationality. He could be American, French or Russian as well.

Do you mean that if an American would be unlawfully killed then British policemen would be punished, may be even jailed? But as a Brazilian has been killed is it OK not to punish anybody?

As I understand the Brazilians complain not about the killing itself (apparently it was a tragic incident) but about the fact that nobody has been punished.

Btw, are you aware about even one case in Brazil (or another democratic country) where a killing of an innocent was not punished (I don't mean those who were killed in a crossfire or as a result of attempt to free hostages)?