Brazilian was here illegally

Shooting victim had expired visa

Menezes had been in London for more than three years
The Brazilian man shot dead by police in south London, who mistook him for a suicide bomber, had been in Britain on an out-of-date visa, officials say.
Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, may have run from police because of his visa situation, BBC correspondents say.

The electrician had come to the UK on a student visa, which allows people to work for a small number of hours.

Had gutless tosser Blair made sure that matey had gone back to Brazil he wouldn't have been here illegally, he wouldn't have run.

And what I'd like to know is, if he was here illegally, how was he able to work as an electrician without an NI number? Didn't he pay NI and tax? Or is there even more to this then we already know?

Let's just hope that said man's family don't now get the big payout that they're already after. The money would be better spent on resources in London.

Nothing to hide...no reason to run.

gijoe said:
Let's just hope that said man's family don't now get the big payout that they're already after. The money would be better spent on resources in London.

Nothing to hide...no reason to run.
Maybe their visa's should be checked ? and anyway why should the family benefit by his illegal actions.

Gunny Highway said:
And what I'd like to know is, if he was here illegally, how was he able to work as an electrician without an NI number? Didn't he pay NI and tax? Or is there even more to this then we already know?
Its a good point Gunny, but unfortunately, there are many "illegals" working on our building/construction sites, indeed, there still exists a culture of casual cash-in-hand employment in many areas of the building trade. The shocking truth is that we no longer have enough skilled tradesmen in this country, and so we are reliant on a large number of migrant workers.

Golden opportunity to kill two birds with one stone:

Announce everywhere that, to avoid possible repetitions of this incident, illegals should register for a temporary ID card under a form of amnesty. In one go, the govt would finally understand how many illegals there actually are, and those illegals will understand that they at least have a form of lawful ID which they can produce on demand and may well be the first step to naturalisation.

E

error_unknown

I find it rather rich that the Brazilian Foriegn Minister is shimfing about this when his own country's police force has an appaling record for running death squads that target the young homeless of Rio and other large cities. Glass houses and stones etc...When dealing with suspected suicide bombers you shoot first, second and third.

4(T) said:

Announce everywhere that, to avoid possible repetitions of this incident, illegals should register for a temporary ID card under a form of amnesty. In one go, the govt would finally understand how many illegals there actually are, and those illegals will understand that they at least have a form of lawful ID which they can produce on demand and may well be the first step to naturalisation.
Excellent idea 4T. :D

What's the odds our great leader completely misses this golden opportunity, because when the true figures come out it would be somewhat embarrassing for him. I can just see the pictures in the media of illegals cueing round the block outside government buildings across the country. :evil:

4(T) said:
Make that 3 birds, give em the IDs no problem, then ship the fcukers out

There are hod-loads of Brazilians here illegally masquerading as Portuguese nationals. Be very sure that you check any who apply to you with the Portuguese Embassy. I had two working for me but they were bubbled by a genuine Portu-geezer who pointed out the slightly different accent, slang and flaws in their admirably faked IDs. ID incidentally which had been checked by the UK authorties and passed...

So now I have fine upstanding and legal Poles working for me...god they are keen and work bloody hard too. All good Catholics too so no suicide bombing potential there just suicidal drinking!

Just heard discussion over the unfortunate death of Mr Menezes on Radio 4.

Mr Menezes may have been concerned about his immigration status.
WTF??? What PC-nonsense is this??? If he was an illegal, why don't the BBC just say so? I'm sorry the bloke got slotted, but the BBC are really starting to p!ss me off.

Have you ever noticed, that when Brits are working abroad Illegally, they are seen as plucky adventurers who do it because "The {insert nationality here} just don't want to work",
but people who work here illegally are seen as a sponging fifth column?

bernoulli said:
Have you ever noticed, that when Brits are working abroad Illegally, they are seen as plucky adventurers who do it because "The {insert nationality here} just don't want to work",
Er...no never noticed that at all.

Ok, that wasn't a very helpful post, so I will try and expand on it. It is what I call Universal Migrant Attitudes.

I have travelled pretty widely, having spent five years working on a tall ship before I joined the Mob, and then another fifteen years doing deployments in the Andrew.
In virtually every country I have been to, there has been a Brit expat population, most of them working, and probably half of them were working illegally. This was especially true of the States in the early Nineties, when the recession drove many Brit builders to seek work abroad. I have even done it myself, when I was doing day work on yachts in Spain in the mid-eighties.
Before I go any further, I must admit I am going slightly off-thread here, as these are just my observations about people working in other countries rather than about this unfortunate Brazilian chap.
Nearly all the expats I spoke had a similar story: Britain is going to ratsh*t, the cost of living is too high, and we come here to ply our trades because the Spanish/Venezuelans/Americans/Brazilians/Saudis and so on don't want to work/are too difficult to hire and fire/are too unionised etc, delete as applicable.
Now here we are in the Uk in the 21st century, and my brother has two Croation builders doing his extension. They both have the faces of men born to be hung, and it is easy to believe that between them they probably filled a few mass-graves during the recent unpleasantness in the Balkans, but they did honest enough work, and usually stayed off the Slivovitz until lunchtime. :D Apparently their reasons for leaving Croatia were that it was going to ratsh*t, good builders just couldn't earn a honest living, and apparently British builders didn't want to work, were unreliable, etc, etc. Starting to see a pattern here?
Now I am sure that you could argue that my brother was undermining British builders by employing these guys, but the truth was that they had done work for several of their friends, so they had ready references and could inspect their work before taking them on.
I think the point I am trying to make is that we have a large British diaspora, and many of those working abroad aren't massively different from this Brazilian guy, if he is indeed innocent, give or take a few rounds lodged in their skulls. Can you put your hand on your heart and say that many of our compatriots in the south of Spain and the Balearics are really upstanding, productive members of their communities? (stand fast Good CO :D).

Bits said:
... but the BBC are really starting to p!ss me off.
I was listening to them all Sunday morning, God I was getitng worked up. First htey had freinds of the bloke in, then the family, then those Liberty Idiot's..

Luckily it only lasted for three hours otherwise I would have lost it, I was also saved by one of the comentators reveiwing the newspapers who came out with this quote:

"You know it's a news worthy day when the News of the World devotes it's first nine pages to real news, and dosen't imply once that the Bombers where snorting coke or sleeping with a celebrity.

Plus their headline is gramitcly corect."

No, but then I don't have any knowledge of them either, and I don't have much time for people who knowingly break the rules. I have been campaigning for some time (outside arrse) to the effect that the British Immigration System needs to be overhauled in the direction of the Aussie/Kiwi system. A points system would allow the government to award more points to the trades/skill-sets that the country is short of, and less to those we have plenty of. Then anybody trying to migrate here who had the necessary trades/skill-sets would be more likely to get in.

See the 'Migration Program' heading on http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/index.htm