Brazilian Army to set up second Rio clinic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4374207.stm

Army to set up second Rio clinic
By Tom Gibb
BBC News, Brazil

The mayor objects to the military being brought into healthcare
Brazil's armed forces have been given the go-ahead by a federal judge to set up a second emergency field hospital in a park in the centre of Rio de Janeiro.
The plan is opposed by the city's mayor, Cesar Maia.

The federal government took over the six major hospitals in Rio earlier this month after emergency units shut down for lack of funds.

The health emergency in Rio is part of a long-running dispute between central government and the city's mayor.

The government stepped in after waiting lists for operations reached over 15,000 and emergency units shut down for lack of money, medicine and equipment.

The health ministry is now in the process of trying to recruit more staff for the hospitals.

In the meantime, it has asked the military to set up field hospitals to help alleviate the demand.

Mayor Maia has strongly protested that the state of Rio's hospitals is not his fault, but results from lack of central government funding.

He went to court to try to stop the navy setting up a field hospital in a central park, saying this would constitute a crime against the city and endanger the park's monuments and fauna.

But a judge has now ruled the park can be used.

The air force have already set up one hospital capable of treating 400 people a day; the navy hospital should be able to treat 600 people.

With Rio's mayor expected to be a main challenger in presidential elections next year, his increasingly shrill political battle with the central government looks set to continue well into the future.
So the Brazilian Armed Forces Medical Services can deploy two Field Hospitals treating around 1,000 people between them!!!! And one of them Naval to treat 600 8O

And we can treat, let me see, if we can fully staff them..... if the MDHUs let our staff go.......we'd be lucky to deploy 2 Field Hospitals and they'd have space for 400 8O

Where did it all go wrong :roll:

According to the Brazillian military medicals services they are run by Military medical staff for the armed forces, they don't have target obsessed nhs trusts there that have to be kept afloat.

dui-lai said:
Wouldn't that be nice, Armed Forces Medical Services used for the Armed Forces.........instead of geriatrics and drunks :roll:
But if you don't take in my geriatrics and drunks where will I send them when they refuse to go to the MRSA ridden local NHS hospital?

MamaSmurf said:
dui-lai said:
Wouldn't that be nice, Armed Forces Medical Services used for the Armed Forces.........instead of geriatrics and drunks :roll:
But if you don't take in my geriatrics and drunks where will I send them when they refuse to go to the MRSA ridden local NHS hospital?
They are already in your MRSA infested ridden local NHS hospital, just dumped on the Military ward for the military staff to deal with and expand their geriatric orthopaedic care skills, very useful for the war role :roll:

MamaSmurf said:
The Germans had a very good shower system that we could utilise.

TOTAL ARMED FORCES

Active: 337,800 (133,500 conscripts).
Terms of service: 12 months (can be extended by 6 months).
Reserves: trained first-line: 1,115,000; 400,000 subject to immediate recall.
Second-line: 225,000.

ARMY

220,000 (incl 126,500 conscripts);
HQ: 7 Military Comd, 12 Military Regions.; 8 div (3 with Region HQ); 1 armd cav bde (mech, 1 armd, 1 arty bn); 3 armd inf bde (each 2 inf, 1 armd, 1 arty bn); 4 mech cav bde (each 3 inf, 1 arty bn). 12 motor inf bde (26 bn); 1 mtn bde; 2 "jungle" bde (7 bn); 1 frontier bde (6 bn).

With armed forces of that size and compulsory military service (about 1 in 8 men are called up by lottery at age 18) I would be very surprised if Brazil had not been able to deploy a couple of field hospitals. You also have to ask what capability do these hospitals have?