Brazil to build a nuclear submarine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Interesting, have other countries (Iran for example) a right to build nuclear submarines?
  2. Brazil on the Atlantic coast so a deep water sub makes sense though not exactly sure why they need one not exactly a global power.
    Iran Persian gulf not good sub territory not really a global player and getting the sub out of the straits to attack the evil yankees isn't going to happen so I doubt its on there plan
  3. Is Brazil a major threat to the world at large?

... Nope. And a Nuclear powered sub is entirely different to a Nuclear armed sub, Sergey.
  4. Of course. However even without nuclear weapons nuclear powered submarine is a very dangerous toy.

Brighton hippy, gulf of Oman is deep enough (with depths more than 2000m).
  5. Yes, Nuclear subs are dangerous for their range if nothing else, but with a conventional payload I really can't see it being an issue. Probably why no-one is kicking up a fuss.
  6. I'm not sure.

7. Sergey, you've gone off at a tangent...

Most of what you just wrote is about Israel, the Middle East, and possible action against Iran.

What the hell has it got to do with Brazil?!
  8. Cow

Cow LE

Has he?
  9. Cow, read Sergeys last post, it pretty much centres on Iran and weapons that China and Iran have. I can see no relation to Brazil.
  10. Surely any nation has the right to biuld a nuclear powered submarine.

How many of them have the ability, facilaties and know-how?
  11. Of course they do; Who are we, or any other country, to dictate what other sovereign states can do?

Issues arise when what one nation does, or is planning to do, will impact adversely on others.

Personally, I don't see why Brazil getting a Nuclear powered submarine would cause an issue. Conventionally armed (Remember, no news on armament as yet), it would basically just have an increased range.
  12. We should look at this news in the more wide context. Bazil is a fast developed industrial country, has own Uranium and now decides to develop all nuclear technologies needed. And no doubts that Brazil is able to resolve this task. I suppose that Brazilian nuclear powered submarines would be welcomed on world weapon market. Many countries (including Iran) would be glad to buy them. In this situation Russia could propose its nuclear powered submarines to any country. Why not?

So recent Brazilian decision could lead to very serious consequences. Eventually it would undermine global abilities of USA.
  13. Cow

Cow LE

I understand that bit, however, in a round about way he's describing weapons that the Sub can provide a platform for. How Barzil would need these though, I haven't a clue.

Guess your right then... :cry:
  14. Sergey, you're looking at this ina very odd manner.

Brazil is developing its own technology and building its own submarine(s). There is no guarantee that this Sub will ever be produced (if you read the article, they started building the Nuclear power station in the eighties... and are just about to carry on!) and if it is, why do you assume they will export it?

Who would they export to? Considering they say it will take eight years just to build this one, I don't think that exportation is a worry right now.

And I don't believe that Brazil is as worrying as Russia when it comes to arms exportation.
  15. Cow

Cow LE

Reading into this, Russia have alot to gain, if they can provide weapons and weapons platforms to countries which are not pro-US then they're extending their navy in a covert manor. Projection of power by a state by another state is a much easier way to win a war than to build yourself a force capable of doing so. They're in a win win situation.

Developing countries are throwing money into projects which they can support without having to shell out on costs, they then get developement on the free. Also the country they've provided a capability too is typicaly anti US, providing the US with another threat to worry about: thus spreading/streching their resorces further.