Bravey awards to the TA....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by modwatchdog, Aug 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was reading August soldier mag, theres an article about recent bravey awards. I noticed that several of them are listed as thus Pte ***** RW (V), why is that? From what I can remember when you get mobilised they drum it into you that your now part of the regular army, however, if you happen to be awarded a gong they, seem to set you apart from the regs with that V.

Not sure what your views are on this but it seems that their either saying yeh this guy was only a stab so his medal isn`t as good, or are they saying crickey this guy was TA soldier and won a gong!!!!

Whilst I`m on the subject do they use the same with the campaign medals? I was a regs reservist on my last tour, and my medal naming doesn`t reflect this, its just the same as my others. Am curious as to whether the TA medals, reflect their TA status or not, with that V?

2. They arn't supposed to on Medals, but im sure that someone posted an example on Arrse a little while ago of this happening with a replacement medal?

3. I don't see the problem. You can take the man away from the (V), but you can't take the (V) away from the man.

These people chose to be (V), the (V) was dropped purely through circumstance.

4. I've always assumed the 'crikey..' reason. None of my gongs, either Ops or 'old age' have the '(V)'.

May also have something to do with the fact that by and large, by the time the award is announced and Gazetted, you're back in (V) land.

Not that I've ever been awarded a bravery award mind you.

5. Cheers Greenslime thats answered my question, makes perfect sense when you think about it.

But just out of interest what does (IIRC) mean, forgive my ignorance.

6. IIRC - If I Recall Correctly ;)

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think its also to do with your parent unit rather than one you are attached to. Hence after the Rifles were formed an Officer formerly LI in an HQ job was awarded something and it stated late of the Light Infantry. He had I assumed left and had never served with the Rifles so his unit was LI. In the same way when you deploy you are adminned by your host unit but your parent unit remains V and would if mobilised en masse!

8. I posted a while ago because my issued medal (not replacement) for Telic had (TA) written on it after my name, no Corps or anything, just Number Rank Name (TA). I was even sat in the same room as modwatchdog for the 'you are regulars now' speech!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That stood for Tonys Army!

10. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Maybe in the same way that members of Them who receive awards have their original units on the citation?

(No, i am not comparing TA directly to Them, but in principle TA are attached to the reg army in same way They are badged as members of Them?)

11. MrDragon, it would appear that the `your in regs` experiance was a one off like Hitlers Nürnberg speech!!

TA on your medal now that is odd, surely your unit knew you were RAMC? However having said that you did transfer to the AGC....

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It'll appear as whatever the unit Chief Clerk had typed in on the medal submission form. You can always send it back to the medal office saying that your details are wrong and they will send you a corrected version.

13. Just had a look at my Telic medal, shows number, rank, name & corps. No TA or V zilch, nothing, nada. :eek:

14. Same here..just has "SCOTS" as my unit for Telic...before 2006 my ops medal had HIGHLAND..that was in 2002/3 never saw a (v) on any of our lads..mind you i am "V" so not too bothered :)

15. Perhaps its an attempt by the MOD to make people aware that reserves are out there doing the job?