Bravey awards to the TA....

Was reading August soldier mag, theres an article about recent bravey awards. I noticed that several of them are listed as thus Pte ***** RW (V), why is that? From what I can remember when you get mobilised they drum it into you that your now part of the regular army, however, if you happen to be awarded a gong they, seem to set you apart from the regs with that V.

Not sure what your views are on this but it seems that their either saying yeh this guy was only a stab so his medal isn`t as good, or are they saying crickey this guy was TA soldier and won a gong!!!!

Whilst I`m on the subject do they use the same with the campaign medals? I was a regs reservist on my last tour, and my medal naming doesn`t reflect this, its just the same as my others. Am curious as to whether the TA medals, reflect their TA status or not, with that V?

They arn't supposed to on Medals, but im sure that someone posted an example on Arrse a little while ago of this happening with a replacement medal?

I don't see the problem. You can take the man away from the (V), but you can't take the (V) away from the man.

These people chose to be (V), the (V) was dropped purely through circumstance.

I've always assumed the 'crikey..' reason. None of my gongs, either Ops or 'old age' have the '(V)'.

May also have something to do with the fact that by and large, by the time the award is announced and Gazetted, you're back in (V) land.

Not that I've ever been awarded a bravery award mind you.

GreenSlime said:
I've always assumed the 'crikey..' reason. My Op gongs are all minus the '(V)' (IIRC), whereas my 'old-age' gongs have the '(V)'.

May also have something to do with the fact that by and large, by the time the award is announced and Gazetted, you're back in (V) land.

Not that I've ever been awarded a bravery award mind you.

Cheers Greenslime thats answered my question, makes perfect sense when you think about it.

But just out of interest what does (IIRC) mean, forgive my ignorance.

ugly

LE
I think its also to do with your parent unit rather than one you are attached to. Hence after the Rifles were formed an Officer formerly LI in an HQ job was awarded something and it stated late of the Light Infantry. He had I assumed left and had never served with the Rifles so his unit was LI. In the same way when you deploy you are adminned by your host unit but your parent unit remains V and would if mobilised en masse!

Praetorian said:
They arn't supposed to on Medals, but im sure that someone posted an example on Arrse a little while ago of this happening with a replacement medal?
I posted a while ago because my issued medal (not replacement) for Telic had (TA) written on it after my name, no Corps or anything, just Number Rank Name (TA). I was even sat in the same room as modwatchdog for the 'you are regulars now' speech!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe in the same way that members of Them who receive awards have their original units on the citation?

(No, i am not comparing TA directly to Them, but in principle TA are attached to the reg army in same way They are badged as members of Them?)

MrDragon said:
Praetorian said:
I posted a while ago because my issued medal (not replacement) for Telic had (TA) written on it after my name, no Corps or anything, just Number Rank Name (TA). I was even sat in the same room as modwatchdog for the 'you are regulars now' speech!
MrDragon, it would appear that the `your in regs` experiance was a one off like Hitlers Nürnberg speech!!

TA on your medal now that is odd, surely your unit knew you were RAMC? However having said that you did transfer to the AGC....

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
MrDragon said:
Praetorian said:
It'll appear as whatever the unit Chief Clerk had typed in on the medal submission form. You can always send it back to the medal office saying that your details are wrong and they will send you a corrected version.

Just had a look at my Telic medal, shows number, rank, name & corps. No TA or V zilch, nothing, nada. :eek:

S

swampmonster

SilverSurfer said:
Just had a look at my Telic medal, shows number, rank, name & corps. No TA or V zilch, nothing, nada. :eek:
Same here..just has "SCOTS" as my unit for Telic...before 2006 my ops medal had HIGHLAND..that was in 2002/3 never saw a (v) on any of our lads..mind you i am "V" so not too bothered :)

modwatchdog said:
Was reading August soldier mag, theres an article about recent bravey awards. I noticed that several of them are listed as thus Pte ***** RW (V), why is that?
Perhaps its an attempt by the MOD to make people aware that reserves are out there doing the job?

modwatchdog said:
, or are they saying crickey this guy was TA soldier and won a gong!!!!
Most likely, there does seem to be a real lack of TA recipients, look at the most recent awards, the TA received very little ...... OK a couple of certificate thingys ( that's ummm, great).

I recently suggested that a couple of SNCOs in my unit deserve recognition and the wall of resistance was amazing, ranging from "they're paid for it what else do they want" to "can't award the TA gongs cos the bar is too high and they don't work long enough".

When I suggested the QVRM, poeple went into shock - "that's the peacetime equivalent of the MC ..... how do you expect the TA to get that?"

After a lot of consideration, it was suggested that I should write them up for a Lord Lieutenants Certificate .... brilliant ... line up behind the Army Cadets for a bit of paper.

Now, if they were sportsmen or celebrities it would be a different matter.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
When I suggested the QVRM, poeple went into shock - "that's the peacetime equivalent of the MC ..... how do you expect the TA to get that?"
No it's not. The MC is a gallantry award, the 'peacetime' equivalent is the Queens Gallantry Medal. Whoever these people were that went into shock, they should have been slapped out of it for chuntering on matters they obviously know little about. The TA can expect to get the QVRSM because it is specifically designed for Reserve Forces!

From the QVRM Warrant

Fourthly: It is ordained that the Medal shall be awarded only to those who, being members of any rank of Our Volunteer Reserve Forces, shall have rendered such devotion to duty and exemplary service over a period usually of at least 10 years in and to Our said Volunteer Reserve Forces as shall have been of particular value to Our said Forces and constituted an outstanding example to others, and that such awards shall only be made on the recommendation of Our Secretary of State for Defence.
Edited to add this link: Applying For Medals

Mongoose said:
modwatchdog said:
Was reading August soldier mag, theres an article about recent bravey awards. I noticed that several of them are listed as thus Pte ***** RW (V), why is that?
Perhaps its an attempt by the MOD to make people aware that reserves are out there doing the job?
Until some bean counter suggests they drop the (V) on the engraving to save money. :)

RP578 said:
No it's not. The MC is a gallantry award, the 'peacetime' equivalent is the Queens Gallantry Medal. Whoever these people were that went into shock, they should have been slapped out of it for chuntering on matters they obviously know little about. The TA can expect to get the QVRSM because it is specifically designed for Reserve Forces!

Thats a nice looking medal, do you get letters after your name with it, like you do with the MC?

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
modwatchdog said:
Thats a nice looking medal, do you get letters after your name with it, like you do with the MC?
Certainly do:

Fifthly: It is ordained that the award of the Medal shall entitle the recipient, on all occasions when the use of such letters is customary, to have placed after his or her name the letters "QVRM".