Bravest OAP

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by REMEbrat, Feb 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure, but is it legal to drive one an "A" road at 8mph.
    But at least it was dealt with in a positive manner by the Police.

2. Not brave - not stupid - just an old man who has survived for almost a century and is now becoming a little confused. He will have seen many changes in his lifetime and lived in more difficult times than we today could imagine.
    Lets hope when / if something like this happens to us in our later years there are still gentlemen like Mr Dunne (and of course the policeman who responded) around.

3. That seems to have been handled quite sensibly. Well done to all concerned.

4. Gentlemen I quote verbatim from the article......

These shocking pictures show a pensioner on his mobility scooter driving along a busy dual-carriageway at 8mph.

You have to love the journos.....I know I wasn't shocked....anyone else 'shocked'? strewth!

5. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

It's the Daily Hate, do you honestly expect anything else? Another hysterical (not in the funny sense) headline was 'Bono's shocking foul-mouthed outburst' which apparently brought the BBC into disrepute again. Apparently Bonio called Chris Martin (the warbler from Coldplay just in case anybody didn't know) a wanker on air on Radio 1. Now, apart from the fact that this is the first time I've ever agreed with St Bono the Egocentric, I hardly think that any Radio 1 listener say, below the age of five, will take offence at the word wanker.

The Daily Mail, dontcha just love it? Tossers. :roll:

6. Funny, I thought it was the Mirror - but, hey, don't let the facts get in the way. :roll:

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

8. It's good that he wasn't hurt, but I have seen ppl on these mobility scooters using the roads (as opposed to pavements) lots of times, putting themselves at risk, thinking that they should drive on the road. (I drive a lot in my job). These scooters obviously have no protection at all, and I dread to think what injuries the user would sustain if anyone bumped into one. I think the law needs to be clarified on whether they should be using these things on the road or the paths, and, whichever way it goes, this should be made clear to the users on a regular basis.

9. Unfortunately clarifying the law won't make much difference at all, the law that bans use of mobile phone whilst driving is very clear....

10. At one time there seemed to be a spate of little old people driving their mobility scooters on the hard shoulder of the A40.
    The Rozzers would turn up, load the scooter into a van and then take the person off to a place of safety.
    My pal, The Emperor (yes Him), reckoned that once they were back with their mates it would be a case of " - Had a ride in a Police car today. And I got tea and biscuits before they brought me back" :lol:
    So it was a win/win situation. The Bobbies got something to do other than deal with the local scrotes and the old people had a bit of fun

11. :) Yeah, fair point, REMEbrat

12. There have been a lot of complaints in Bridlington about fogies running around in souped up mobility scooters (didn't they used to be called invalid cars?) on the pavements and causing, sometimes serious, injury to pedestrians. If these scooters are going to be allowed on the pavements then they should be restricted to about 4 m.p.h. for the safety of other pedestrians.

13. Yeah, I agree, that's the reason (injury to pedestrians) I was not too confident in putting that they should definately be only used on the pavements

14. This is what should be done with one of those mobility scooters

CLICKY