Bravest British Luvvies

Ian Hendry, a family friend:

On leaving school in 1947, aged 16, Hendry initially embarked on a very different career, studying at the College of Estate Management in London. In 1948, he spent a year working for Bidwells at their Cambridge office. In 1949, Hendry began his National Service as part of the programme of conscription in the United Kingdom which was introduced after the end of World War II in 1945. He spent two years with the 32nd Medium Regiment, Royal Artillery. During this time, Hendry paced for Christopher Chataway in athletics and ran his own motorcycle stunt team. On completion of his service he returned to work in Estate Management.

Played Eric in 'Get Carter'.
'Pissholes in the snow?"

syrup

LE
When we first moved to the US we were in Florida for a couple of years. The Mrs had an older lady working for her whose family had been long time techy types working for NASA for years. At one work function I got talking to her old man, and mentioned Germany. That got him straight onto the topic of Werner von Braun and his fellow Mexican refugees*.

He told me that the word around NASA in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s was that you could walk into any R&D lab, click your heels and throw out a verbal Sieg Heil and you would see many pavlovian reactionary twitches.

Note: * The boxheads apparently had problems getting into the US in a timely enough manner under operation paperclip - the way they snuck Nazis in. The result was to take them to the Mexican side of the US/Mexico border and have them walk over in the way that Mexican laborers did back then.

Interesting piece here about the Germans working for NASA

"Nasa was built by hillbillies Nazi's and Jews"

I had the honour of meeting Richard Todd at the Imperial War Museum where he, and Julian Thompson RM, were guests to an event for the surviving VC and GC holders. They were stood chatting together. I told Mr Todd that because of him I had nearly not be born. Mum, a WAAF, was going out with dad, a mere Sgt Pilot on Lincolns. They were both at Scampton when The Dam Busters was being made and all the WAAFs were in a tizzy over Mr Todd.
In all serious, gen dit, 12 clips, full foulies, safeguard etc, I came much closer to not being born - my grandmother actually did go out with him during the war. She dumped him.

Chef

LE

Pale, male and stale. It shouldn't have been attempted until the gender balance was right and the diversity boxes all ticked.

I read that because I was interested in finding out about the Hillbilly contribution. However there was sweet Fanny Adam apart from that one quote.

Last edited:
Hollywood made a film about old Werner called ‘I Aim At The Stars’ but when shown in the UK there was graffiti written on one of the posters which said ‘But usually miss and hit London’.
Werner was not very popular in Britain after the war.

Hollywood made a film about old Werner called ‘I Aim At The Stars’ but when shown in the UK there was graffiti written on one of the posters which said ‘But usually miss and hit London’.
Werner was not very popular in Britain after the war.
I've not seen it but apparently the famous line about hitting London is actually spoken in the film. That said it does have a reputation for being overly sympathetic to Von Braun such as missing out the murderous slave labour used in building rockets etc . It'll be interesting reading Arrsers opinions who have seen the movie

I've not seen it but apparently the famous line about hitting London is actually spoken in the film. That said it does have a reputation for being overly sympathetic to Von Braun such as missing out the murderous slave labour used in building rockets etc . It'll be interesting reading Arrsers opinions who have seen the movie
More slave labourers died building the tunnels and the rockets than were actually killed by the V2s.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ian Hendry?
He was pretty authentic in this one too.

Florries Fresh Flowers in South London still makes me chuckle though, I wonder what it would be called now?
Ahmed's Aspidistras ?
Hiding the baton gun in a shotgun case is a work of deception genius.

TamH70

MIA
Hiding the baton gun in a shotgun case is a work of deception genius.

Oh, the famous Flying Lemon yellow Ford Capri!

Nice.

Latest Threads