Brass RAMC Cap badge. Soldiers or Officers.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by BuggerAll, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I was doing a bit of tidying up over the weekend and I found a brass RAMC cap badge. Its current pattern QE2 crown. It has a slider fixing rather than pin and lugs.

Normally I'd expect a brass badge to be a soldiers but the only reason I'm asking is that the 'IN ARDUIS FIDELIS' scroll is white metal which I would not have expected. The asp is brass while the asps on my modern frosty gold ones are white metal.

If its a soldiers pattern one I'll give it one of the guys or girls in my Regt, unless someone on here makes an offer that we can donate to H4H and they promise to keep it polished when they are wearing it.

If its an officers, even if old style, its probably going on my old and battered SD cap.

2. That sounds a bit of a strange combination, Buggerall. I was given an old brass capbadge when I was in basic (in 1966) by a WOI who joined in 1944 and was coming up to his 22. It has a KC, obviously, but the asp and the scroll are nickel. I wore it (and still wear it) all through my service, since capbadges with KCs were very common in those days.I've never seen or heard of the combination you mentioned, but I'm interested as to the provenance.

MsG

3. BuggerAll

I've just tried to take photos on the iPhone but they have not come out well enough to be worth posting.

4. From your description, I believe it to be the cap badge worn on the Service Dress hat. If anyone knows better, feel free to correct me.

5. A bit late for a reply but.............

This is a standard OR's capbadge from 1952 to the begining of staybrite which of course is not really a fixed time they slowly appeared as recruits were issued them..

In collecting circles known as ' OR's QC BM" ie bi-metal, brass and white metal.
    These were worn on all forms of headdress by OR's at the time. The same style also exists with a Kings crown, these replaced the old all brass badges sometime after WW2. At the same time as making the scroll white metal, for the first time 'In Arduis Fidelis' appeared on OR's badges previously they had 'Royal Army Medical Corps' on the scroll. These changes in style are also reflected in the collar dogs of the period.

While officers quality badges have almost always had a white/silver 'snake' OR's didn't gain that until around the mid 70's when a new batch of staybrite started to be issued. Again the 2 types co-existed for years certainly into the early eighties when I came out.

Incidently while posted to the Med Centre at MCTC Colchester in the early seventies I discovered that the clothing store still had about 20 of the KC versions of this badge new unissued 20 odd years after they became obsolete. Then worth about a fiver to collectors. Any and every RAMC man I could find managed to get his capbadge 'broken' or lost so I had the lot.

And before anyone else says it yes I am an anorak.

6. BuggerAll

Thanks for that. One of the Regiment's chaps or chapesses will shortly be the proud owner of an RAMC "OR's QC BM".