Brass plate thingy for polishing buttons

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by msr, Jul 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. msr

    msr LE

    Does anyone know the correct name for one of these and where I can get one from?

    It's the plate you put behind buttons to stop the Brasso getting on the material.

  2. Button stick,didn't you get one issued? :D
  3. It's called a button stick. They also were made from Bakelite, these examples are probably rarer than the brass ones. Most well-known surplus dealers will stock them (try Sabre Sales) or eBay is your friend.

  4. Yep, it's a Button Stick. I was issued one and the irony was that the only real brass I had on my uniforms were the backing plates for the collar dog (IIIRC, been a long time) ...oh and the button stick itself :lol:
  5. msr Its called a button stick. I was issued mine in 1964 so i expect they're all museum pieces now - a bit like me!
  6. Gremlin

    Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

    MSR, there is a longish thread about Button Sticks in this forum IIRC dating from about 2007 if you can find it. The Butler posted quite a bit of info, so he may be able to find it.
  7. msr

    msr LE

  8. Button stick is the usual term but surely that's just want Squaddies call it? The army probably calls it Equipment item BS2419/ 8A-7b
  9. Gremlin

    Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

  10. oh didn't know you could do that
  11. It was invented by a gentleman named 'Ian Drury', he wrote a song about it! :D
  12. Reasons to be cheerful ... Part 3 :?
  13. msr

    msr LE

  14. old_fat_and_hairy

    old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

    Ah, that would be what you redcoat types used, was it? In the Rifle Brigade I'm afraid we had no brass.