Brass plate thingy for polishing buttons

Does anyone know the correct name for one of these and where I can get one from?

It's the plate you put behind buttons to stop the Brasso getting on the material.

msr

msr said:
Does anyone know the correct name for one of these and where I can get one from?

It's the plate you put behind buttons to stop the Brasso getting on the material.

msr
Button stick,didn't you get one issued? :D

It's called a button stick. They also were made from Bakelite, these examples are probably rarer than the brass ones. Most well-known surplus dealers will stock them (try Sabre Sales) or eBay is your friend.

HTH,
B_D_S

Yep, it's a Button Stick. I was issued one and the irony was that the only real brass I had on my uniforms were the backing plates for the collar dog (IIIRC, been a long time) ...oh and the button stick itself :lol:

MSR, there is a longish thread about Button Sticks in this forum IIRC dating from about 2007 if you can find it. The Butler posted quite a bit of info, so he may be able to find it.

Gunner4388 said:
msr Its called a button stick. I was issued mine in 1964 so i expect they're all museum pieces now - a bit like me!
Button stick is the usual term but surely that's just want Squaddies call it? The army probably calls it Equipment item BS2419/ 8A-7b

BenghaziBandit said:
It was invented by a gentleman named 'Ian Drury', he wrote a song about it! :D
Reasons to be cheerful ... Part 3 :?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah, that would be what you redcoat types used, was it? In the Rifle Brigade I'm afraid we had no brass.

Err, yes you did, what about all the buckles and strap-ends on a set of 37 Pattern Webbing then? If you're old enough to be a real ex-RB then you'll remember that surely? They were still wearing black 37 Patt belts at the Rifle Depot in 1974 FFS!
Anyway, didn't you get shown how to polish up your black buttons with boot-polish? You needed a Button-stick for that!

Look to your front! :wink:

MSR, what the f**k would you want one of those for - I lugged mine around for years and never used it. Unless of course you've discovered a use for it that no one else has....

(I shudder to think)

I had my dads button stick from his NS days back in 1957 , i used it for my 14 years and handed it him back when i left , its now retired because both my teenage lads dont fancy the Armed forces