brass casing

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ordinaryforces, Sep 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm watching one of those yank military things on Quest TV and they are firing some sort of 105 shell,
    now they seem to be made of a steel casing....this leads me to ask, with the price of brass can any other metal be used for ammo? why has it always been brass?
    I know it doesn't rust and is easy worked but there must be a deeper reason than that in this day and age.

2. The Germans ended up using lacquered steel cartridges by the end of World War 2. Not much use for machine guns apparently, the heat melts the lacquer and gums up the mechanisms.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brass doesn't rust, steel would need to be rust proofed either with a coating or stainless steel. Alloy would be pricey, aluminium too soft as would copper.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Possibly to do with the characteristics of the metal, it's malleability allowing for the extrusion process to form the shape of the cartridge from a blank disc without introducing stress fractures and inclusions which would cause failures on firing. Just a guess, but with improvements in making steel, they can now probably do the same thing with it that they could only do with brass many years ago. It might of course be cheaper and more abundant than brass?

5. Hence the lacquering when it was used I assume. Plus brass looks nice...

6. My late father in law was ex-Wehrmacht, and he said they had a lot of trouble with the base of the cartridge seperating from the casing, in the case of the StGw44 it would then attempt to load a new round and jam it all to hell.

7. Quite, however the tactical position that Germany found itself 1944.45 it was using just about anything it could get its hands on, the laquer wasn't a patch on modern polymers, brass isn't that dear in comparison.

Also forgot to mention brass has a natural sheen that makes it low friction, a sort of natural lubricant, perfect for ammo and tight tolerances of weapons.

8. Brass doesn't spark when knocked

9. From what I've read (in 'With Our Backs To Berlin', I forget who's story in there mentions it but it could have been the SS Officer Cadet who was chucked back into the front. I forget his name now and the missus will kill me slowly if I wake the baby up looking for the book!) they tried to use the steel cartridges for day to day stuff and keep what brass they could get their hands on for their 'desperation ammo' when Ivan attacked and they really, really needed the MGs to work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. brass is some what a softer alloy than steel, so brass lends its self to a better fit inside the breech........

11. shotguns went from paper to plastic!
    how hard would it be to develop smallarms ammo...with all these super strength plastics that we have today?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I take your point there R/square
    but surely the round casing regardless of its material is a measured fit...so isn't compressed into chamber.

13. Corrosion resistant and ductile (deformable under tensile stress) enough to be reformed and reloaded.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Plastics and co-polymers are very suseptible (sp) to climate changes and the really good stuff would scare you for the price it is, polyethelene ( pop bottles) is £1700 a ton raw, plastic is also made from oil guess what happens when it get hot?