• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brand new, fresh faced, 18 y/o TA recruit, straight out of the ACF and still in School.

'howsyerfather' in the 2:30 at ascot

Very much the same as me back in the day.
Eyes and ears open, gob shut!
Learn as much as you can, see if you can borrow TAMS etc, if you genuinely don't understand something then ask.

Knowing where you are would help. The TA doesn't exist any more; it's now the AR (and has been for quite a while - still STABs though).

Take shit of absolutely no one. The army likes to see confident people, a bit of chest poking can raise your standing in the eyes of the chain of command.
When you first go to basic training, a Cpl or Sgt may try to shout and intimidate you. Just like the prison yard they sounding you out, to see if they can make you their bitch. Just look them straight in the eye and say something alone the lines of "Who the fuck are you talking to, cuntybollocks?". 99 times out of 100 they will back down and find a weaker target.
The kit you get issued in basic training is a bit shit, so stock up well at an Army surplus store, not only will you have all the gucci kit, your Cpl/Sgts will admire the fact you have prepared well.
Occasionally some tossbag officer will try throwing his weight around and insist you are punished just for constantly making mistakes on the ranges. Any punishment they tried to give you should be met with you demanding that the legal branch supply you with a solicitor (They come in handy for getting you out of show parades or extra work).
Finally, claim that you identify with being a black, muslim, gay, transsexual vegan the army will fall over itself to be seen letting you do what ever the fuck you want.

Take shit of absolutely no one. The army likes to see confident people, a bit of chest poking can raise your standing in the eyes of the chain of command.
When you first go to basic training, a Cpl or Sgt may try to shout and intimidate you. Just like the prison yard they sounding you out, to see if they can make you their bitch. Just look them straight in the eye and say something alone the lines of "Who the **** are you talking to, cuntybollocks?". 99 times out of 100 they will back down and find a weaker target.
The kit you get issued in basic training is a bit shit, so stock up well at an Army surplus store, not only will you have all the gucci kit, your Cpl/Sgts will admire the fact you have prepared well.
Occasionally some tossbag officer will try throwing his weight around and insist you are punished just for constantly making mistakes on the ranges. Any punishment they tried to give you should be met with you demanding that the legal branch supply you with a solicitor (They come in handy for getting you out of show parades or extra work).
Finally, claim that you identify with being a black, muslim, gay, transsexual vegan the army will fall over itself to be seen letting you do what ever the **** you want.
Is this why you're leaving the Regs for the TA then?

When you first go to basic training, a Cpl or Sgt may try to shout and intimidate you. Just like the prison yard they sounding you out, to see if they can make you their bitch. Just look them straight in the eye and say something alone the lines of "Who the **** are you talking to, cuntybollocks?". 99 times out of 100 they will back down and find a weaker target.
Finally, claim that you identify with being a black, muslim, gay, transsexual vegan the army will fall over itself to be seen letting you do what ever the **** you want.
That's some sage advice there.
Also make sure you know your rights. Any time they want to cut your hair short or wear their clothing (they call it a uniform) in a certain way you don't like just evoke the wrath of the ECHR on them, they'll respect your assertiveness & knowledgeable approach.
As for the never speak unless spoken to mindset, that's so 20th Century soldiering. If you're on parade & your phone rings answer it but only after properly breaking ranks. they'll teach you that drill manoeuvre so don't fret.

Good luck.

If you're on parade & your phone rings answer it but only after properly breaking ranks. they'll teach you that drill manoeuvre so don't fret.
... and where does that leave his god given right to answer his phone wherever he likes.

If they are still pulling that 'properly break ranks' stuff he'll be needing a decent 'umin rites' lawyer right from the outset. As a courtesy he may like to ask the RSM/drill pig or whoever to "hold up with the shouting and 'ollering mate, I need to answer me phone".

... and where does that leave his god given right to answer his phone wherever he likes.

If they are still pulling that 'properly break ranks' stuff he'll be needing a decent 'umin rites' lawyer right from the outset. As a courtesy he may like to ask the RSM/drill pig or whoever to "hold up with the shouting and 'ollering mate, I need to answer me phone".
Good point, never did me any harm & I got a brilliant selfie whilst at Eyes Right on my pass out parade.

There's a neat trick for fixing your phone to the end of your rifle. PM me for details.

And remember if you carried any rank in the ACF then make sure everyone at your ARC knows it because they will respect that, and that you also make sure any instructors and PSI's are aware that you are a subject matter expert on everything from skill at arms to delivering a set of orders, they'll appreciate your superior experience, especially any ex regs in your unit. :thumleft: