Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by BFBS, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BFBS TV and Radio are starting a new annual fundraising event, called The Big Salute. We very much hope ARRSErs will get involved.

Five Forces charities will be the beneficiaries:
    Combat Stress
    Veterans Aid
    St Dunstan's
    Headley Court

The Big Salute website is up and running already, and fundraising events are already starting around the Forces world. It kicks off in earnest on BFBS Radio and TV, though, on Sunday 4th May, with a special programme on BFBS TV, which will also be streamed on the BFBS website so you can watch in the UK, and will continue all the following week worldwide on BFBS Radio (also available in the UK online or on Sky Guide 0211).

You can donate online from today; buy a wristband or T-shirt online from Monday 21st April; and there'll be some great auction items to bid for in the coming couple of weeks.

Please spare a moment to look at the website, and tell your friends about the event. Perhaps you'd like to come along to a special CSE Comedy Club night in London on 28th April, for example, all proceeds to The Big Salute? Full details at

In the past BFBS Radio has supported Wireless For The Blind, but from now on, The Big Salute is the BFBS annual fundraising event, with Forces charities as the beneficiaries.

We'd appreciate ARRSers help in spreading the word, and helping us raise some serious money for some seriously good organisations.

2. On a quick change of subject, I seem to recall you mentioning something about a cinema truck arriving at Bastion. Now I have looked everywhere and cant seem to find it. Is it hidden in a jingly truck?
  3. I've PMed you

4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Is the Headley Court something on it's own or are you doing stuff through H4H which would make more sense.
  5. The H4H swimming pool/gym project is obviously still some way off. We felt our fundraiser could be more immediate, and provide something for people going through Headley Court now. We've spoken to the CO of Headley Court, and there are plenty of things he could use some immeduate funds for!

6. Why Sunday 4th May? Why not an announcement at the Army and Navy match on the 3rd May too?
  7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Well there's a good idea.
  8. I think loads of Forces charities pitch up at the Army v Navy rugby, so we can't expect any special favours! We will be there in force, though, as we're showing the match live on BFBS TV.

Why 4th May? We thought we pick the May Day bank holiday weekend as the time for The Big Salute every year, so its a memorable date, year in year out. It's also to avoid other big fundraising times, like Comic Relief, Children In Need, Sport Relief, the Poppy Appeal, etc!

9. Just posted this on another thread, but, maybe, I'll post this here as well:

10. If you'd like support the BFBS Big Salute, raising money for five Forces charities, you can now buy wristbands and T-shirts online at

11. Just to let you know that Headley Court have now told us that the money we raise for them through our Big Salute campaign will be spend on high-tech kit for their Neurological Rehab Lab to enable patients who are unable to communicate verbally to hold conversations, and take part in art therapy and aid speech therapy. The list of kit they need for brain injured patients comes to over £11,000 so please make a donation at

£79, for example, would buy a 'Coloured Keys Jumbo Keyboard'.